Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK - don't

Returning to the UK - don't

Old May 10th 2009, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Gaeller is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Returning to the UK - don't

I have lived in several countries mainly because I could always find better paid work where my contributions were welcomed.

My last domicile was Portugal when my husband retired. We went to an area where there were no ex-pats intending to find out how other people lived and enjoy the culture. We grew our own organic food and enjoyed outdoor life.

Because we both had old parents we returned to help care for them. It was a big wrench leaving but we looked forward to more theatre, music concerts and being able to take up new hobbies. What a shock. The cost of living is horrendous. Unless you can afford to go a trendy restaurant run by a celebrity chef, the food is junk. Added to which the 'big brother' atmosphere is oppressive. The innovative theatre which we loved is now non-existent, and the frequent nights at the opera have turned into a once a year event, replacing a holiday!

Many people find that living abroad involves learning a new language and sad to say a lot of Brits can't. That is insurmountable. If you want a British lifestyle and don't want to join in what the locals have to offer by all means come back. But beware, depending on how long you have been away, things have'nt half changed in the last ten years.
Old May 10th 2009, 9:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK - don't

Originally Posted by Gaeller
I have lived in several countries mainly because I could always find better paid work where my contributions were welcomed.

My last domicile was Portugal when my husband retired. We went to an area where there were no ex-pats intending to find out how other people lived and enjoy the culture. We grew our own organic food and enjoyed outdoor life.

Because we both had old parents we returned to help care for them. It was a big wrench leaving but we looked forward to more theatre, music concerts and being able to take up new hobbies. What a shock. The cost of living is horrendous. Unless you can afford to go a trendy restaurant run by a celebrity chef, the food is junk. Added to which the 'big brother' atmosphere is oppressive. The innovative theatre which we loved is now non-existent, and the frequent nights at the opera have turned into a once a year event, replacing a holiday!

Many people find that living abroad involves learning a new language and sad to say a lot of Brits can't. That is insurmountable. If you want a British lifestyle and don't want to join in what the locals have to offer by all means come back. But beware, depending on how long you have been away, things have'nt half changed in the last ten years.
Welcome to BE ... not sure why you would make your first post such a negative indictment of the UK, on the MBTTUK forum. Expect the grenades to come flying in any time now ...
Old May 10th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. Cancelled all our plans to return. Thanks for the heads up, saved us from a fate worse than death by the sound of it.
Old May 10th 2009, 10:05 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Welcome to BE ... not sure why you would make your first post such a negative indictment of the UK, on the MBTTUK forum. Expect the grenades to come flying in any time now ...
LOL re the grenades - my thoughts exactly!
Old May 10th 2009, 10:24 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
LOL re the grenades - my thoughts exactly!
Oh come on .............

What's wrong with the post?

I've been gone over ten years and even though I enjoy going back once or twice a year, I'm not altogether sure if I'd take my kids back. Many things have changed - many haven't. It's life.

What is wrong in saying you thought it would be great but it isn't now what you thought it would be?

The Brits in the Australian / American / Canadian part of the forum that don't like all of it, don't immedietaly get slashed and told to wait for the hand grenades!

Ease up folks. Not all of you would give up what you like best to go back and help out the old folks.

Eating in Jamie Oliver's restaurant or Gordon Ramsay's? Well I'm sure that for 10 times less I can eat in a rustic old farmhouse type pub for a fiver ........... but I'm happy with roast beef and Yorkshire puds.

I wouldn't expect to pay a fiver for sword fish and asparagus ...........but I wouldn't go to a local pub for that kind of food.

Prices can vary and so can tastes.
Old May 10th 2009, 10:30 pm

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Ease up folks. Not all of you would give up what you like best to go back and help out the old folks.
Actually, my 86 year old father is playing a huge part in my decision to look at a return to the UK.

As for grenades, the comment made me LOL because of how the posts on here sometimes get a little heated - I did not mean it towards the OP's comments.

I make it a point not to get involved in the posts that get "ugly", altho I guess in defending my position in this post, I am in danger of doing just that!

Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion and that is the beauty of the site. I do agree with dunroving though, that as a first post, it is a little negative. IMO, its not the content of the post that does this, as that brings me back to everyone being entitled to their opinion, it's more the "tone" that might be construed as negative as a first post.
Old May 10th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with the post?
I'll take a 'wild' guess and say the clue is in the title.
Old May 10th 2009, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

Well - I am sorry! I thought this was a serious exchange of information. Yes my first post is negative because I honestly feels that way.
Anyone who thinks Britain is the place to come back to should do so, naturally.
I am just giving my point of view as a returnee.
I came back to the UK twice a year for two months for 9 years to look after my mother and mother-in-law. It was my pleasure and privilege to do so. My husband also travelled back. Unfortunately impressions of the UK gained under such circumstances were not really indicative of what life would be like on a permanent basis.
Had my mother and/or mother-in-law come to live with us they could have been cared for in our own home, with a dedicated carer 8 hours a day. Our friend whose husband needed special nursing care, received that on a daily basis from the local hospital. He was also taken to his hospital visits 3 times a week by ambulance. All free.
Added to which, we lived on one pension and payment for teaching English 3 hours per week.
My sister presently has to pay £16 per hour for a Council care worker - who actually only spends 10 minutes putting her cornflakes and milk in a bowl and making her a cup of tea.
The UK's provision for the elderly is appalling. Its education system is also comparatively poor.
Every ex-pat child loved going to school and learned well. This is absolutely the truth British parents were amazed at how well their children learned after years of problems in British schools.
As an ex NHS worker and present volunteer I am also shocked at the poor level of service now available. The NHS is in meltdown.
If education and health care is important I repeat - be very, very careful about returning here.
The final irony - sorry to be so long - I lived in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Uganda, Egypt and India. I never needed an ID card. Now I am being told I need one in my country of birth and I will have to pay between £30 and £100 for the privilege.
Old May 10th 2009, 11:38 pm

Well - I am sorry! I thought this was a serious exchange of information. Yes my first post is negative because I honestly feels that way.
Anyone who thinks Britain is the place to come back to should do so, naturally.
I am just giving my point of view as a returnee.
I came back to the UK twice a year for two months for 9 years to look after my mother and mother-in-law. It was my pleasure and privilege to do so. My husband also travelled back. Unfortunately impressions of the UK gained under such circumstances were not really indicative of what life would be like on a permanent basis.
Had my mother and/or mother-in-law come to live with us they could have been cared for in our own home, with a dedicated carer 8 hours a day. Our friend whose husband needed special nursing care, received that on a daily basis from the local hospital. He was also taken to his hospital visits 3 times a week by ambulance. All free.
Added to which, we lived on one pension and payment for teaching English 3 hours per week.
My sister presently has to pay £16 per hour for a Council care worker - who actually only spends 10 minutes putting her cornflakes and milk in a bowl and making her a cup of tea.
The UK's provision for the elderly is appalling. Its education system is also comparatively poor.
Every ex-pat child loved going to school and learned well. This is absolutely the truth British parents were amazed at how well their children learned after years of problems in British schools.
As an ex NHS worker and present volunteer I am also shocked at the poor level of service now available. The NHS is in meltdown.
If education and health care is important I repeat - be very, very careful about returning here.
The final irony - sorry to be so long - I lived in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Uganda, Egypt and India. I never needed an ID card. Now I am being told I need one in my country of birth and I will have to pay between £30 and £100 for the privilege.
Dear Gaeller, a belated welcome to the BE forums. Nobody, myself included, will judge you for having "negative" opinions or feelings, as that's exactly what they are - opinions and feelings - all of which are subjective. This is a great forum, with healthy debate and generally nice people
I am sorry you are feeling so horrible at the moment, and as a fellow UK citizen who may be returning to the UK, I welcome your point of view which I will digest and utilize as part of my own decisions. I am sure none of us would disagree that the NHS leaves alot to be desired, but as an opposite thought process to yours, I live in the US and as much as the hospitals and care here are state of the art (in most part), the fees for them are astronomical and it makes me see the beleagered NHS in an entirely different, and fond light.
Education also would be one of those areas high on my priority list regarding our return as I have a son of 13 and a daughter just shy of 11. I'm not sure I would say I've been overly impressed with the reality of the US education system though. In my opinion, it's a little bit of a rock and hard place when trying to decide which is better, US Public, or UK State. I think both have their good and bad points and depend heavily on the area you live in.
You are obviously a well traveled expat and I am sure you will have lots of experiences to share with us that have not lived in so many different locations.
I am sure you will find the support and discussion you desire on BE.
Old May 10th 2009, 11:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

In the Canada forums (and, no doubt, others) people say the good and bad. Why not here too?
Old May 10th 2009, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Same as Oz then. (they opposed an ID card years ago the allowed photo DL's ).
Old May 10th 2009, 11:53 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Gaeller

Your opinion is valued here and since having lived in several countries I would say experience is something you have in abundance. I don't think your comments are that far fetched considering the cost of living before the economic melt, and judging by what most people are going through what with losing jobs and spikes in inflation it's probably safe to say things have gotten worse.

They have in America and in most of Europe. You might find a few posters on this board who are so pro British that any negative thing said against the UK will be taken to heart instead of viewed for it's factual content. But don't let that put you off from expressing your opinions .Other people can learn from what you have to say. Btw,most posters would agree that the cost of living in the UK has gone through the roof and certain services are not as good as they could be.

Health care is very important to most people and if given the chance to live in a place that offers the better quality of life who would want to pass on that. I am curious to know what stood out most about living in Portugal other than the health care and essential services?
Old May 10th 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
In the Canada forums (and, no doubt, others) people say the good and bad. Why not here too?
No-one is saying you can't. but please, the OP is 'surprised' that the title of their thread gets a reaction? Why not say 'It's not for us'. The title was deliberately emotive and purports to speak for all of us with scant regard for one's individual situation or motivation for doing so.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Thank you ukintexas. I am sure you are all a friendly lot but I did not join for discussions. I thought someone was asking for a genuine point of view.

Presumably though most people have left the UK because they were dissatisfied with their lot. I am speaking from the point of view of someone who chose where to go and was not a member of an international company.
So I can't comment on what the comparative differences would be under those circumstances.

In our case, we were perfectly happy wherever we lived - as single people and as a married couple. Though we were obviously emotionally attached to our parents and siblings we never experienced the homesickness some people do.

My cousin's wife is German and after living in the UK for 20 years decided to go back to Germany with her husband. It was a move she was looking forward to tremendously. Unfortunately she could not settle and felt more foreign there than she did in the UK. Her advice would be if you are not sure about returning here, commit yourself to your new country and forget the UK you can't belong in two places.

I came upon this website simply because I was looking for opinions on where to live. Incidentally, I would not dream of dining in a Gordon Ramsey restaurant. And, just for the record Swordfish and a local delicacy Grelos, with soup or bread and olives to start, a sweet or fruit would cost £5 in any ordinary restaurant in Central Portugal. £5.50 if you want wine! Working man's menu.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:06 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought...........hasn't the whole world changed an awful lot in the last 10 years??? And isn't it because of governments being unable to afford the attitude of 'entitlement'? Isn't it because the middle classes are shrinking, the wealthy are losing and poor just carry on thinking they don't need to worry because the welfare system will carry on paying??

I think everyone is in for a big wake up call soon especially when the healthcare and welfare systems go bankrupt.

My thoughts? Stay healthy, forget any promises made by financial advisors, governments or politicians, live within your means and create your own insurance policies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.