Returning to the UK but unable to work due to illness

Wikiposts

Returning to the UK but unable to work due to illness

Old Dec 31st 2010, 7:34 am
De1
Just Joined

De1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK but unable to work due to illness

I was wondering if I could get some advice on two family members that may have to return to the UK from the US.
One family member has had a serious stroke and as a result is partially disabled the other has medical needs and as such cannot work. Both were born in the UK but left to live in the US approx 25 years ago.
As a result of the stroke their medical insurance now is due to run out and they are unable to get any practical assistance.
If they return to the UK to live with family will they be able to get medical treatment over here and eventually be able to get any benefits after a period of time?
thanks in advance for any advice you can offer
de1
Old Dec 31st 2010, 8:09 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK but unable to work due to illness

They can return to live with family as UK citizens and can register with the GP for medical once they arrive and take up residence, aren't they getting Social security disability payments? I think you can continue to collect those even from the UK, they should look it up.
http://ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html
http://ssa.gov/international/
Old Dec 31st 2010, 9:16 am
De1
Just Joined

thanks for the reply it is all so new to them and I think they are so lost at the minute as they have only just got my relative out of hospital and realised how hard it is with no help.
I will check out your links and get ll the information gathered together for them.
Thanks again
De1
Old Dec 31st 2010, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by De1
I was wondering if I could get some advice on two family members that may have to return to the UK from the US.
One family member has had a serious stroke and as a result is partially disabled the other has medical needs and as such cannot work. Both were born in the UK but left to live in the US approx 25 years ago.
As a result of the stroke their medical insurance now is due to run out and they are unable to get any practical assistance.
If they return to the UK to live with family will they be able to get medical treatment over here and eventually be able to get any benefits after a period of time?
thanks in advance for any advice you can offer
de1
I recently returned to the UK and unexpectedly needed an operation. For accessing the NHS (at least for free), the rule for returning UK citizens is that you must be moving to the UK to settle and not there on a temporary basis. The best way forward (as mentioned by a previous poster), is to register with a GP as soon as you arrive and then you will receive a NHS number through the post. As they are from the UK, they will already have a number but if they have lost it, they will trace it and send it to you. They traced mine after 28 years absence. Despite a lot of criticism, I found the NHS quite efficent.

Regarding benefits, there are many factors here but this site may help. The site covers support services, health care, benefits, etc. Good luck.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 31st 2010 at 11:07 am.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 8:41 pm
De1
Just Joined

Thanks John that is all very helpful I will read through the links and gather all the information together as they are feeling very overwhelmed by it all.
I am sure I will be back with more questions
Thanks again
De1
Old Dec 31st 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by De1
Thanks John that is all very helpful I will read through the links and gather all the information together as they are feeling very overwhelmed by it all.
I am sure I will be back with more questions
Thanks again
De1
Please feel free, PM me if you wish.