Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK before the end of the tax year... is this possible?

Wikiposts

Returning to the UK before the end of the tax year... is this possible?

Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all
Default Re: Returning to the UK before the end of the tax year... is this possible?

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Gulp............I last left the UK in 1987 moved back there in April 2009 worked from May 2009 until March 2010 came back to Australia in April 2010 and going back in Feb. 2011 which means I have only been away in their eyes for 10 months.........
Barb

You will be considered Resident/Ordinarily Resident for income tax purposes in the UK throughout 2010/11. But, any tax paid in Australia will reduce any tax bill you might have. When you start work, complete a form P86 and send it to your employer's PAYE office. They will want to know what you earned in Australia and the tax deducted so keep records.

Hope this helps.

Valerie
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK before the end of the tax year... is this possible?

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
Barb

You will be considered Resident/Ordinarily Resident for income tax purposes in the UK throughout 2010/11. But, any tax paid in Australia will reduce any tax bill you might have. When you start work, complete a form P86 and send it to your employer's PAYE office. They will want to know what you earned in Australia and the tax deducted so keep records.

Hope this helps.

Valerie
I MAY be working for the same company in the London office (very unsure at this stage) would that affect matters at all?

I am very naive, I just thought you paid tax in the country you live in........
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

I MAY be working for the same company in the London office (very unsure at this stage) would that affect matters at all?

I am very naive, I just thought you paid tax in the country you live in........
It would be a new employer in the UK. The company would need to have a separate PAYE scheme for the Heathrow branch. You would be it's only employer from what you've written before. Feel special?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:00 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a new employer in the UK. The company would need to have a separate PAYE scheme for the Heathrow branch. You would be it's only employer from what you've written before. Feel special?
Ain't got the job yet Valerie!!!

But say I decided not to take it, and just went back to plan A which is to stay with my sister oop North and look for a job which hopefully wouldn't take too long, I surely wouldn't have to pay this tax would I when I have paid LOTS in Australia, oh this is all too complicated for my poor little head LOL!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Ain't got the job yet Valerie!!!

But say I decided not to take it, and just went back to plan A which is to stay with my sister oop North and look for a job which hopefully wouldn't take too long, I surely wouldn't have to pay this tax would I when I have paid LOTS in Australia, oh this is all too complicated for my poor little head LOL!!
I'm not saying you would pay any tax. But your pay in Oz & tax would be taken into account when assessing your tax bill in England. Get back there girl and, if you get a tax bill, send me an email. I'll help. Also I'm in Chaster again this May. I can see you if you want. I actually prefer your plan A. There's nowt like the North.

Stop panicking.

Valerie
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:24 am
Home Sweet Home

I'm not saying you would pay any tax. But your pay in Oz & tax would be taken into account when assessing your tax bill in England. Get back there girl and, if you get a tax bill, send me an email. I'll help. Also I'm in Chaster again this May. I can see you if you want. I actually prefer your plan A. There's nowt like the North.

Stop panicking.

Valerie
Well I was tootling along Valerie until yesterday. At work I can read the BE forum but can't participate and saw this thread and I swear I nearly had heart failure when I read about don't return before the end of the tax year knowing I am!!!!

But I have calmed down now thank you LOL!! It would be good to catch up. Do you have plans to return permanently one day?

Barb