Returning to the UK after processing through POE

Wikiposts

Returning to the UK after processing through POE

Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

dzial67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK after processing through POE

Hi

I know this has been discussed before in here but I cant find it in searches.

Hopefully, I've just done the medical, I will complete my Immigrant I130 visa process in London in the next few weeks and be ready to move to the States in November.

However I may have to come back to the UK for a while due to work, selling our home etc.

Can someone take me through the steps following entry through the POE and timescales etc? We have a bank account in Wisconsin and a family address for post.

Also, I know there is a way in which you can go in and then apply for a 'permit' to leave for up to two(?) years. I don't think this will be necessary but would appreciate it if someone could give me the options for being away from the US for a short or a long time.

Thanks very much
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after processing through POE

Originally Posted by dzial67
Can someone take me through the steps following entry through the POE and timescales etc?
Timescale for what? Leaving the US? Once you enter on the IV and your passport is stamped/validated, you can stay in the airport and get on a return flight with no problems. Your GC will go to the address you give them when you arrive in the US... but that has no bearing on your ability to turn right around and head back to the UK.

I don't think this will be necessary but would appreciate it if someone could give me the options for being away from the US for a short or a long time.
Your GC is a valid travel document up to one year, although people caution that you shouldn't stay out of the US for more than 6 months - as it *will* affect the naturalization clock. That said, if you're going to stay outside the US for more than 1 year but less than 2 years, file form I-131 in the US. You can leave the US after you get biometrics done... yes, even before you receive the re-entry permit. Just make sure that someone sends it to you in the UK because you'll need it to get back.

Ian
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

dzial67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info on the I-131.

With respect to timescales I was looking for the time it takes from processing through the POE to receiving your GC. Also any advice on other critical steps, like how longs does it take to get a SSN?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dzial67
Thanks for the info on the I-131.

With respect to timescales I was looking for the time it takes from processing through the POE to receiving your GC. Also any advice on other critical steps, like how longs does it take to get a SSN?

In normal circumstances it only takes a few weeks. However, at the moment the USCIS is claiming a backlog and that it might take up to 6 months to receive. That is neither here or there for you since you will have received the I-551 stamp in your passport upon entry and that is the paper version of the green card with all the same rights and privileges, including traveling and re-entry to the US.

If you have indicated on your forms to the US Consulate that you are applying for a social security number, then it should come within 5 weeks or so from date of entry. Again, much depends on efficiency of the workers involved and some people have never received their SS card and had to go to the social security office and apply again.

As a new PR you would be fine with leaving the US for up to 6 months the first time with the declaration that you only left to tie up ends in the UK. Anything time over the 6 mos regulats on the forum like to suggest that you not leave the US without first having your I-131 application in progress and the biometrics done. That would mean about 3 to 4 weeks remaining in the US until the biometrics appointment is received and completed.