Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK after 30 years in US

Returning to UK after 30 years in US

Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Brightongirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to UK after 30 years in US

I am a UK citizen but have lived in the US for 30+ years. I am returning to live permanently in the UK, in about a year. It never occurred to me that I couldn't be out of the UK for more than 2 years. I'm reading the Immigration rules on the gov.UK website and it's sounding like I have to get a visa or entry clearance or something to return to the UK?
I'm trying to read these rules but finding them confusing. Does anyone know what I need to return to the UK to live permanently? Thanks.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Returning to UK after 30 years in US

Additionally I am returning with my spouse who is a US citizen so I will be sponsoring her as she's coming with me to live permanently also.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brightongirl
I am a UK citizen but have lived in the US for 30+ years. I am returning to live permanently in the UK, in about a year. It never occurred to me that I couldn't be out of the UK for more than 2 years. I'm reading the Immigration rules on the gov.UK website and it's sounding like I have to get a visa or entry clearance or something to return to the UK?
I'm trying to read these rules but finding them confusing. Does anyone know what I need to return to the UK to live permanently? Thanks.
As a British citizen there's nothing you need to do in order to return to the UK to live, just hop on a plane. The 2 year rule applies to something different. I understand how hard it can be to navigate the spouse visa application process, BE's always here to help.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
As a British citizen there's nothing you need to do in order to return to the UK to live, just hop on a plane. The 2 year rule applies to something different. I understand how hard it can be to navigate the spouse visa application process, BE's always here to help.
Thanks Concierge! You may be seeing other posts by me as I try to understand these rules!
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Concierge, what doesn't this imply I need entry clearance?
"

Returning Residents

1. 18. A person may resume their residence in the UK provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that the person concerned:
    1. (i) had indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom when he last left; and
    2. (ii) has not been away from the United Kingdom for more than 2 years; and
    3. (iii) did not receive assistance from public funds towards the cost of leaving the United Kingdom; and
    4. (iv) now seeks admission for the purpose of settlement.
  2. 18A. Those who qualify to resume their residence in accordance with paragraph 18 do not need a visa to enter the UK.
  3. 19. A person who does not benefit from the preceding paragraph by reason only of having been absent from the United Kingdom for more than two consecutive years, must have applied for, and been granted indefinite leave to enter by way of entry clearance if, he can demonstrate he has strong ties to the United Kingdom and intends to make the United Kingdom his permanent home."
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Concierge, what doesn't this imply I need entry clearance?
"

Returning Residents

1. 18. A person may resume their residence in the UK provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that the person concerned:
    1. (i) had indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom when he last left; and
    2. (ii) has not been away from the United Kingdom for more than 2 years; and
    3. (iii) did not receive assistance from public funds towards the cost of leaving the United Kingdom; and
    4. (iv) now seeks admission for the purpose of settlement.
  2. 18A. Those who qualify to resume their residence in accordance with paragraph 18 do not need a visa to enter the UK.
  3. 19. A person who does not benefit from the preceding paragraph by reason only of having been absent from the United Kingdom for more than two consecutive years, must have applied for, and been granted indefinite leave to enter by way of entry clearance if, he can demonstrate he has strong ties to the United Kingdom and intends to make the United Kingdom his permanent home."
No, not applicable to you. The above is information regarding a returning resident visa for people who were previously subject to immigration control, acquired indefinite leave to remain in the UK, but subsequently left the UK.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

THANK YOU, THANK YOU CONCIERGE!! GOT IT NOW!
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:55 am
Concierge

THANK YOU, THANK YOU CONCIERGE!! GOT IT NOW!
You're very welcome