Reload this Page >

Returning to UK after 30+ years

Wikiposts

Returning to UK after 30+ years

Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to UK after 30+ years

Hi all, I am considering moving back after a lifetime in the US. How does this affect my pension/retirement funds in the US. Can I just move back or are there specific steps I need to take first.

I am trying to get information on my NIN and tax status but this is not moving very fast. I am not worried so much about logistics more the finances and not losing my financial assets. Thanks.

Edited to add: I am a US citizen but will be returning and living as a UK citizen.

Last edited by kateg60; Jan 18th 2011 at 11:57 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:26 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK after 30+ years

Originally Posted by kateg60
Hi all, I am considering moving back after a lifetime in the US. How does this affect my pension/retirement funds in the US. Can I just move back or are there specific steps I need to take first.

I am trying to get information on my NIN and tax status but this is not moving very fast. I am not worried so much about logistics more the finances and not losing my financial assets. Thanks.

Edited to add: I am a US citizen but will be returning and living as a UK citizen.
First thought - are you familiar with the UK Yankee forum? It is like British Expats but in reverse, a forum for Americans living in the UK or considering moving to the UK. One of the forums there is called US-UK Tax and addresses this type of question; in fact there is a thread active there right now on a similar topic to yours.

I have a lot of the questions you have, but no real answers as yet! I hope to retire in the UK but have most of my tax-advantaged retirement savings and pensions in the US. Expect to have 30% of your distributions from your US retirement accounts withheld by the IRS when you are living abroad. This is to encourage you to file your US taxes religiously.