Wikiposts

Returning to UK

Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

spoodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to UK

Hi, Hubby and I will be returning to UK in Spring, for a variety of reasons. Living in Sydney can anyone help with names of removal companies and any idea of how much this will cost. Am guessing its going to be more expensive that the cost of shipping out here but hope I'm wrong.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK

You might find more like minded people, and some who have actually done it, in the Moving Back to UK forum. They tend to be up with those sort of issues.

Good luck with your next adventure!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
You might find more like minded people, and some who have actually done it, in the Moving Back to UK forum. They tend to be up with those sort of issues.

Good luck with your next adventure!

Thanks I'm bit of a newby on this site so didn't realise there was a separate forum
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

No worries - one of the mods might be along shortly and move it for you if you like.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
No worries - one of the mods might be along shortly and move it for you if you like.
You called?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You called?
Thanks Pollyana sweet of you
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:50 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spoodle
Hi, Hubby and I will be returning to UK in Spring, for a variety of reasons. Living in Sydney can anyone help with names of removal companies and any idea of how much this will cost. Am guessing its going to be more expensive that the cost of shipping out here but hope I'm wrong.
What kind of removals are we talking? Say a 20' container or a few boxes?

There is a thread already running here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700402

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 14th 2011 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beedubya
What kind of removals are we talking? Say a 20' container or a few boxes?

There is a thread already running here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700402
Hi, thanks I hadn't realised there was a separate section for returning to UK so one of the mods moved my thread for me (i'm a newby to this site)....so looks like the question has already been asked! Anyway it will be all our stuff so a container and is looking like its going to be pretty expensive
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:07 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks I hadn't realised there was a separate section for returning to UK so one of the mods moved my thread for me (i'm a newby to this site)....so looks like the question has already been asked! Anyway it will be all our stuff so a container and is looking like its going to be pretty expensive
Yes, it will but if you search around on this site you will get some answers to your questions. Good luck and all the best.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 15th 2011 at 5:15 am.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Firstly is it really worth taking all your furniture and electricals with you, the cost of transporting $8500 +, the cost of storage etc. The time spent waiting for the stuff, the hassles.

That is £5000+ and you could get a LOT of stuff in the UK for this, especially in the "current economic climate" etc. In my recent experience there is a lot of shopping choice here and stuff is a lot cheaper too.

Australian houses being generally a lot bigger so would the stuff fit in your UK house?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:14 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If most of your stuff is furniture I'd say leave it behind - if there's one thing you can buy cheaply in the UK it's decent second hand furniture. Check out Gumtree for an idea of what people are selling. In the UK, the idea of renewing kitchens, bathrooms, furniture on a regular basis means that people are always trying to get rid of good quality "old" furniture.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi don't know about removal companies in Sydney but we moved back from Perth, W.A and used a state wide known company, what I did though was to "Haggle" with their final costs...something I am not great at but just thinking of how much we would loose if I did not find the nerve to ask for better prices was the spur I needed.....we had 3 companies come and give us quotes and then asked each other if they could beat the other companies....good luck and best wishes with your move
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Firstly is it really worth taking all your furniture and electricals with you, the cost of transporting $8500 +, the cost of storage etc. The time spent waiting for the stuff, the hassles.

That is £5000+ and you could get a LOT of stuff in the UK for this, especially in the "current economic climate" etc. In my recent experience there is a lot of shopping choice here and stuff is a lot cheaper too.

Australian houses being generally a lot bigger so would the stuff fit in your UK house?
We bought most of our stuff from a 3 bed house when we moved here and altho its looks like its going to be a lot of money to ship it back (and your right everything is cheaper in the UK) to replace the whole lot would cost us more I think and we've bought extra stuff since we've been here.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi don't know about removal companies in Sydney but we moved back from Perth, W.A and used a state wide known company, what I did though was to "Haggle" with their final costs...something I am not great at but just thinking of how much we would loose if I did not find the nerve to ask for better prices was the spur I needed.....we had 3 companies come and give us quotes and then asked each other if they could beat the other companies....good luck and best wishes with your move
Good idea I'm not great at haggling but I#time to learn I think...and thanks I'm so looking forward to returning are you still glad you made the move?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:30 am
Home Sweet Home

Good idea I'm not great at haggling but I#time to learn I think...and thanks I'm so looking forward to returning are you still glad you made the move?
How long have you been here in Sydney (?) and which part of the lovely UK are you going back to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.