British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Returning to the U.K. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/returning-u-k-648668/)

lankyc Jan 11th 2010 8:45 pm

Returning to the U.K.

Hi.

This is my 1st thread on the B.E Website, I'm new to this kind of approach but confident I'll get some great feedback.

I've been living in N.Z for 8 years on and off, have a indefinite returning resident visa and contemplating returning back to Manchester to settle for the short term. Like most people comment N.Z is a great place to be with the Lifestyle, Climate, Opportunity and Culture, especially with me living in Queenstown. However despite being here for so long still feel its not home. Along with having a niece who I have missed out on seeing grow up and not really going anywhere in the job i am in, I am taking the bold step of moving back later this year.

Does anyone have any experience of a similar move? What is the job scene like at the moment in the U.K (North west.) Have you regretted such a move Was it easy to fit back into the U.K lifestyle?
I am single and with few commitments so I've only me to consider and In the long term will look to come back to N.Z but have no chance in setting up a home whilst here with house prices etc?

Anyhow any feedback is much appreciated. :confused:

Genesis Jan 12th 2010 2:46 am

Re: Returning to the U.K.

Originally Posted by lankyc (Post 8239261)
Hi.

This is my 1st thread on the B.E Website, I'm new to this kind of approach but confident I'll get some great feedback.

I've been living in N.Z for 8 years on and off, have a indefinite returning resident visa and contemplating returning back to Manchester to settle for the short term. Like most people comment N.Z is a great place to be with the Lifestyle, Climate, Opportunity and Culture, especially with me living in Queenstown. However despite being here for so long still feel its not home. Along with having a niece who I have missed out on seeing grow up and not really going anywhere in the job i am in, I am taking the bold step of moving back later this year.

Does anyone have any experience of a similar move? What is the job scene like at the moment in the U.K (North west.) Have you regretted such a move Was it easy to fit back into the U.K lifestyle?
I am single and with few commitments so I've only me to consider and In the long term will look to come back to N.Z but have no chance in setting up a home whilst here with house prices etc?

Hi, you should really try posting this on the returning to the UK site. Don't think there are many who post on here who have returned to the north west and continue posting on the NZ site. Good luck anyways.

JAJ Jan 12th 2010 2:48 am

Being a New Zealand citizen gives more security than having an RRV.

deb_steve Jan 12th 2010 3:25 am

Originally Posted by lankyc (Post 8239261)
Hi.

I must be missing something here, did you not write 'Like most people comment N.Z is a great place to be with the Lifestyle, Climate, Opportunity and Culture, especially with me living in Queenstown'. We moved to NZ in July09 from Manchester and wild horses could not drag us back. We left 4 sons each in their early 20's and all living with different relatives as non of them could afford to rent or get a morgage, 2 of our sons have been threatened with redundancy twice and one son unable to get a job at all. The company I worked for made over 100 people redundant in december and there are more threatened. High crime, racial tension, high house prices, high utility bills and the government printing money for fun, please think wisely. Oh and I forgot crap weather.

lankyc Jan 12th 2010 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8240201)
Hi, you should really try posting this on the returning to the UK site. Don't think there are many who post on here who have returned to the north west and continue posting on the NZ site. Good luck anyways.

Cheers will do.

lankyc Jan 12th 2010 4:19 am

Originally Posted by deb_steve (Post 8240263)
I must be missing something here, did you not write 'Like most people comment N.Z is a great place to be with the Lifestyle, Climate, Opportunity and Culture, especially with me living in Queenstown'. We moved to NZ in July09 from Manchester and wild horses could not drag us back. We left 4 sons each in their early 20's and all living with different relatives as non of them could afford to rent or get a morgage, 2 of our sons have been threatened with redundancy twice and one son unable to get a job at all. The company I worked for made over 100 people redundant in december and there are more threatened. High crime, racial tension, high house prices, high utility bills and the government printing money for fun, please think wisely. Oh and I forgot crap weather.

Thanks for the feedback.

I know most people may think I'm mad as a box of frogs in thinking of returning It's something I have spent time thinking about. The main reason is the family as 8 years (+ 2 in Australia) away is a long time. However your feedback is exactly the thing I was looking for and would be foolish to leave my current job without not having one lined up. Maybe I'll think of taking a holiday to the U.K and make my mind up from there?

sfr09 Jan 12th 2010 7:52 am

Hi I also moved back recently but with a family and we had been away 20yrs in Australia, I am personally not feeling settled but everyone is different . I too came for plenty of long holidays before moving but in my experience it feels totally different to when you are living here permanently , but I guess if you could get a decent time here at least 3 months it might help you

sueduffy Jan 12th 2010 9:16 am

I returned to Manchester a few months ago and am finding it very difficult to find work for myself in law,or hubby in motortrade.Without no jobs,no mortgage,very scary.

I had hoped that friends and other contacts might have been able to help but a lot of them are fighting the threat of redundancy.

A number of friends here have been made redundant in the last year,in varying professions,law,banking,quantity surveying.

Would definitely recommend a reccie first.

Sue

jaxslad Jan 12th 2010 9:22 am

Originally Posted by deb_steve (Post 8240263)

You moved to NZ July 09...? ya still in holiday mode...you might feel and think different several yrs from now ..who knows?

Dessiree Jan 12th 2010 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jaxslad (Post 8240773)
You moved to NZ July 09...? ya still in holiday mode...you might feel and think different several yrs from now ..who knows?

God, i couldn't agree more, 6 months is absolutely no time at all. And the England is nowhere as bad as that poster said, as i'm sure others will agree with me.

lankyc Jan 12th 2010 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dessiree (Post 8240943)
God, i couldn't agree more, 6 months is absolutely no time at all. And the England is nowhere as bad as that poster said, as i'm sure others will agree with me.

This is from a reply I received regarding my original question. I have been in N.Z for 8 years which has flown by.

Jo.Ru_onway Jan 12th 2010 8:07 pm

Anyhow any feedback is much appreciated. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I think you may find it just as hard to get a house here too
Jo