Reload this Page >

Returning Retiree Requires Advice

Wikiposts

Returning Retiree Requires Advice

Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

UKCYP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning Retiree Requires Advice

We are retirees living abroad but are now planning to return to the motherland.

Are there any members out there who have recently done this and what are the 'dos' and 'donts', and experiences. All information is very welcome.

Living abroad there is always horror stories and word of mouth profits of doom about what to expect in the UK but some of it we have found is often out of date or just plain wrong. For example, is it true that a returnee would be refused treatment at a NHS hospital within the first six months?

As a background we are 60 and 63. We plan to buy a house in the UK.

Many thanks
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning Retiree Requires Advice

Originally Posted by UKCYP

Are there any members out there who have recently done this and what are the 'dos' and 'donts', and experiences. All information is very welcome.

Living abroad there is always horror stories and word of mouth profits of doom about what to expect in the UK but some of it we have found is often out of date or just plain wrong. For example, is it true that a returnee would be refused treatment at a NHS hospital within the first six months?

Many thanks

You would be able to access the NHS from day one, and all you need to do is to go to your local health center and register, you would need sopme sort of proof you are resident, usually a utility bill or rental contract, or some proof you are resident.

Important things to do are to tell the DWP so your pensions can be sorted, although with new age requirements you may not be eligible straight away. Get yourselves onto the electoral roll, this is vital as many places that do checks on you will check there.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:35 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning Retiree Requires Advice

Originally Posted by UKCYP

Many thanks
Hi UKCYP and a big welcome to BE!!

We've got quite a few members who are in the same boat as you and moving back to the UK. There's even a really long thread here you might find interesting, although as it's so long you might want to start and the end and work backwards

I'm going to move this thread to our Moving Back to the UK forum for you.

I don't know if you are used to using forums and online communities so if not and you get stuck on anything please don't hesitate to give me a shout and I'll help all I can. To contact me just click on my username