Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to Northern Ireland from Canada

Returning to Northern Ireland from Canada

Old Apr 25th 2021, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Bally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond reputeBally21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning to Northern Ireland from Canada

Hey,
has anyone returned to NI from abroad recently? How was the reintegration? Did you bring children who were born abroad?

The high cost of housing in Canada and lack of family support with two young kids is making us reevaluate our priorities. But I'm not sure if we can just slip back into our lives at home.

We left in our early 20s and are now in our 30s. Just no idea what to do anymore and don't want to be chasing grass is greener syndrome you know?
Old Apr 26th 2021, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Northern Ireland from Canada

What is the likelyhood of you getting a similar job (and income) which you have in Canada?

While having friends and family available is something to wish for, without a decent income/home/school that family togetherness pretty much goes out the window.

Of course there will be changes, but personally, having left the UK 20 years ago when I do go back its still pretty familiar.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bally21
Hey,
has anyone returned to NI from abroad recently? How was the reintegration? Did you bring children who were born abroad?

The high cost of housing in Canada and lack of family support with two young kids is making us reevaluate our priorities. But I'm not sure if we can just slip back into our lives at home.

We left in our early 20s and are now in our 30s. Just no idea what to do anymore and don't want to be chasing grass is greener syndrome you know?
Hi
I haven’t moved back yet and we don’t have kids. We are however planning to move to NI in the next few years and I pop back regularly to see family (I’m in France).
If you haven’t been back for a while, I think you’ll find it’s changed quite a bit. For the better. There are a lot of foreigners now wherever you go and they’ve really really lifted the atmosphere. It makes the country feel more plugged into the rest of the world.
Even the weather seems to have improved - my old ma’s near Helens Bay and gets plenty of sunny days.
I suppose you’ll want to be close to family so they can help out with childcare but I would consider living in a completely new area from where you lived before. So that it feels like a new adventure rather than going backwards.
Housing is very affordable, as I’m sure you know. But as SanDiegogirl has very rightly pointed out, none of this - having family close, affordable housing, fabulous countryside, friendly, chatty people - will count for much if you can’t get decent jobs. So I would focus on employment first.
Good luck!
Old Apr 28th 2021, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future

Hey,

I totally understand. My husband (Canadian) and I (British) are planning on relocating to the UK in August 2022. We have 2 boys and completely feel the same way...cost of living in Canada is high and lack of family here made us rethink what would be best for all of us. My husband has his own business and we still feel that we would be better off in England than here (money wise)...although, it breaks my heart to leave Canada, I'm willing to do it so our boys can be around more family.

Its a hard decision, I have been in Canada for almost 18 years, I left England when I was 23. It is a scary thought, but I'm sure if you decide to do it you'll settle in faster than you think. Family support is everything...being away from home is hard, but after having kids it's much harder!

We're going over and giving it a chance for 5 years...if it's going well, great, if not...we'll head back to Canada!!

Good luck with your decision!

*edit* I just wanted to add that we have friends who moved back to the UK almost 2 years ago, and the reintegration was fine! Everyone settled in no problem. All living a happy life!

Last edited by Giggles2080; Apr 28th 2021 at 6:26 pm.
Old May 5th 2021, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

I was back in NI in 2018 (from Bangor originally myself) and I was very impressed with the Belfast area - it seems to have come on in leaps and bounds. For example, along the Lagan you can see nice new office buildings sporting names of fairly prestigious firms, some of which are new to the place. Bangor, as an aside, continues to be a competence free zone when it comes to town centre management. Compared to Halifax, Belfast seems to be lightyears ahead, despite the utterly useless politicians over there.

I am certainly tempted by NI myself, but I think the caveat on jobs highlighted by others is still, despite what I said, a sensible one, especially in the current circumstances.
Old May 5th 2021, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I was back in NI in 2018 (from Bangor originally myself) and I was very impressed with the Belfast area - it seems to have come on in leaps and bounds. For example, along the Lagan you can see nice new office buildings sporting names of fairly prestigious firms, some of which are new to the place. Bangor, as an aside, continues to be a competence free zone when it comes to town centre management. Compared to Halifax, Belfast seems to be lightyears ahead, despite the utterly useless politicians over there.

I am certainly tempted by NI myself, but I think the caveat on jobs highlighted by others is still, despite what I said, a sensible one, especially in the current circumstances.
Said it before and also thought Belfast has improved a lot. Went last year again and the whole area around the Titanic is well done and Victoria Square had a good vibe with street music and plenty going on. Compared to other British cities it's certainly an alternative with potential although personally just glad we are in the Republic to be honest. Especially in IT there isn't the investment you get here and jobs don't seem to be paid well from what I've seen and heard. One could argue that the lower cost of living makes up for it but even that's not always the case. I didn't find it cheaper at all and super saver at Lidl here 0.49€ but there 0.59£ and other prices similar. Since we already own a home and have good jobs in the Republic we wouldn't see the benefit, but for those coming from a high cost country looking to be close to family certainly an option. We still felt that some areas outside the city looked rougher and just feels more foreign to us now. We're used to the Euro and it's just great we don't have to worry about exchange rates when we go to Spain, especially with a 2nd home. We would still go anytime and Cuilcagh boardwalk trail is great for a day trip and only just over 2 hours away. If you like hiking and beaches Ireland has plenty to offer.
Old May 7th 2021, 11:58 am
Just Joined

TreacleP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

HI.... I completely understand the dilemma. We moved to Canada 17 years ago, we have since had kids here and although have enjoyed it, I have always felt a longing to go back to the UK and experience what it's like to have family around etc.
It's such a difficult decision, when you have stability and a decent job here to give it all up is scary especially when you have children to support.
This year has pretty much sealed the deal for me though..... My grandma died and due to covid I couldn't fly over and be there.... Broke my heart. And then with COViD the fact that it is not possible to visit or have family visit. If we were in the UK if restrictions were lifted a little at least we could have an outside back garden visit etc.
The other thing I think is..... Our kids have been born here and had this experience, if we then give them the experience of living in the UK when they grow up they can make their own decision of which place is right for them. Once the children grow up and leave I don't want to be living in Canada to be honest.
I've just rambled on here.... Long and short of it is you are not alone.
Just remember, nothing has to be forever.
Old May 9th 2021, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t think Bally21 can possibly be from Northern Ireland because if they were, they’d have been along to thank you all profusely for your contributions by now. Maybe they’ve been out of the country for too long.