Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

returning from non-EU country

returning from non-EU country

Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

stepney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default returning from non-EU country

I'm a British citizen who has lived in a non-EU East European country for 8 years and may soon have to move back to the UK, which is unplanned.

I know that after 6 years I'm now classed as non-resident in the UK. I cleared up all my tax affairs before emigrating. I didn't continue paying any National Insurance payments and now I'm worried that I could have lost my UK state pension because of this - is this so?

Also, I have no idea where to start when I move back. I can find somewhere to live and hopefully will find work easily. I have some savings to get by for a couple of months. I'll have no children or dependants with me.

Help!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning from non-EU country

You're only missing 6 years of payments you can catch those back up again if you wanted you need 30 years for a full OAP.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

As already said, you only need a total of 30 years, so missing 8 might not make any difference.

Try the attached link for more information:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kbroker/h...0&raction=view

These particular HMRC people are very helpful, based on my past experience.

Last edited by killerhales; Sep 8th 2011 at 11:26 pm. Reason: 8 years, not 6
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.
Where would be my first stop upon returning....
The tax office? Job centre? Social security?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

What would be the best thing to do with 20,000 euros in your pocket when returning to UK (it's a divorce settlement) Where to put it?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepney
Thanks for the replies.
Where would be my first stop upon returning....
The tax office? Job centre? Social security?
All of these things ..... plus probably setting up a bank account, getting accommodation, getting a car maybe, buying furniture etc etc.

So much to do, so little time
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

jbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nice

You should check if there's a totalization agreement with the UK. For example, US SS contributions can be counted towards UK contributions:

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agr...phlets/uk.html

This avoids problems like not having contributed sufficient years in the US to be eligible for US benefits.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

What would be the best thing to do with 20,000 euros in your pocket when returning to UK (it's a divorce settlement) Where to put it?
you would be best getting that transfered to a bank in the UK from your bank, UK banks will need to know just where the money came from at that amount, and you will have to prove it due to money laundering rules.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

A down payment on a property (for the long term).
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

20,000 euros will be all I have to return with (I gave up/sold everything when I moved abroad) so I would like to be able to go back to UK and not lose any of that money......
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

20,000 euros will be all I have to return with (I gave up/sold everything when I moved abroad) so I would like to be able to go back to UK and not lose any of that money......
If you do not still have a UK bank account then you will first have to open one, you will need any paperwork that says just where the money has come from.