Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning from New Zealand

Returning from New Zealand

Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Amanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Returning from New Zealand

Originally Posted by Amanda
Has Anyone on this Forum returned from New Zealand and regretted it?

We are in the process of returning to the UK later this year, but everything seems so daunting. After being in NZ for 4 years I find myself scared to return (which seems ridiculous after spending 32 years of my life in the UK!). I think alot has to do with the media and how they portray the UK. I know there must be parts of the Uk that are still nice. We are thinking about returning to live in Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire.

When I told my parents we were returning to the UK, their response was "Why would you want to come back to this Cr@p hole?''. Not very supportive I know and I am bringing 4 of their only grandchildren back (whom they have not seen for 4 years!).

Any advice, knowledge of these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mandy.

Just thought I would post an update. My husband left this evening to fly back to the UK to meet with potential employers and look at areas in which we would like to live. It will be interesting to see how he feels after being back for the first time in over 4 years.

My parent's arrived from the UK last Tuesday for their first visit to New Zealand and I don't think they are too impressed! I have not had any comments about returning to the UK and how bad it will be compared to NZ etc... so unless somewhere has lived elsewhere it is very hard to make a judgement.

Getting quite excited about returning to to the UK. I just hope we can sell our house and be back for a proper Christmas.

Mandy.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning from New Zealand

Amanda.

I moved back to the Uk from NZ after almost 3 years, I visited the Uk twice in that time and for me personally i just didnt feel happy there, thats despite living in a nice house in Auckland with all that sunshine (that rather scorching sunshine) I particularly missed the big cold outdoors of the UK, as opposed to the temperate and highly non native North land areas, there were a host of other reasons.

Anyway the moment i landed in Manchester i felt like I had made a MAJOR blunder, everything seemed dull, backwards and small and even slightly hostile (NZ is very laid back). It was great to see family again of course but I realised i'd left behind a home (we'd already sold) and a new way of life, for 2 months i was ready for going back!!

But something changed all that, our dog arrived in the Uk just after me (we'd bought him out there) and suddenly there were the moorlands of northern England, come rain or shine i would hike up there each day just to remind me what id longed for for 3 years, rememebr this stuff is on the doorstep in the Uk, the dog LOVED its new home and these proper hikes were quite a different matter compared to the meagre walks around the designated off leash areas in Auckland and you (and dog) didnt get sunburn in the process, I mean you could actually get out into the middle of nowhere for hours and have a few pints too.

That was the spring of 2004, by summers end i was quite happy to be back. Ironically im now near chicago but I actually like it here.

Suddenly i was visiting lots of local attractions, ruins, contry parks, trips to devon, all that stuff, I did some awesome trips in NZ but I just always missed that quaint almost naiive pleasure of a trip to devon with cider and scones and cream and all that, and its no fantasy, it really can be like that, we even stayed a week in this ultra cute cottage and i could just see how tourists see the UK, like something out of the Lord of the Rings (and NOT in nZ!).

the UK does have issues but for me its about ignoring all that rubbish that the media inflames and in some cases causes and getting out into the countryside, to me thats what the Uk is about, i do wish it was a bit sunnier though, theres plenty sun here near chicago! Its horses for courses, the weird thing is if i'd had permanent residency in NZ i may have gone back but still may not have been happy, moving can be VERY difficult, it sends your emotions in all directions and sometimes its hard to decide between head and heart. Oh and xmas is more fun in the dark and cold! Id recommend anyboy to live in NZ, it just wasnt for me. incidentally when we moved there with some UK onds the house prices seemed so inexpensive, when we sold they had already gone up by a margin, i suspect thatt now things are not as affordable as just 5 years ago!!

bugman.

Just thought I would post an update. My husband left this evening to fly back to the UK to meet with potential employers and look at areas in which we would like to live. It will be interesting to see how he feels after being back for the first time in over 4 years.

My parent's arrived from the UK last Tuesday for their first visit to New Zealand and I don't think they are too impressed! I have not had any comments about returning to the UK and how bad it will be compared to NZ etc... so unless somewhere has lived elsewhere it is very hard to make a judgement.

Getting quite excited about returning to to the UK. I just hope we can sell our house and be back for a proper Christmas.

Mandy.

Last edited by bugman; Nov 11th 2006 at 11:00 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 1:36 am
Just Joined

milligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the rough

Mandy.
Fantastic news!

Keep us posted on how he got on and when are for the off!

Also goodnews your parents have seen things first hand and will now be more supportive of your decision.

Good luck with the sale of your house and bring on that turkey and christmas pud!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

milligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bugman
Amanda.

I moved back to the Uk from NZ after almost 3 years, I visited the Uk twice in that time and for me personally i just didnt feel happy there, thats despite living in a nice house in Auckland with all that sunshine (that rather scorching sunshine) I particularly missed the big cold outdoors of the UK, as opposed to the temperate and highly non native North land areas, there were a host of other reasons.

Anyway the moment i landed in Manchester i felt like I had made a MAJOR blunder, everything seemed dull, backwards and small and even slightly hostile (NZ is very laid back). It was great to see family again of course but I realised i'd left behind a home (we'd already sold) and a new way of life, for 2 months i was ready for going back!!

But something changed all that, our dog arrived in the Uk just after me (we'd bought him out there) and suddenly there were the moorlands of northern England, come rain or shine i would hike up there each day just to remind me what id longed for for 3 years, rememebr this stuff is on the doorstep in the Uk, the dog LOVED its new home and these proper hikes were quite a different matter compared to the meagre walks around the designated off leash areas in Auckland and you (and dog) didnt get sunburn in the process, I mean you could actually get out into the middle of nowhere for hours and have a few pints too.

That was the spring of 2004, by summers end i was quite happy to be back. Ironically im now near chicago but I actually like it here.

Suddenly i was visiting lots of local attractions, ruins, contry parks, trips to devon, all that stuff, I did some awesome trips in NZ but I just always missed that quaint almost naiive pleasure of a trip to devon with cider and scones and cream and all that, and its no fantasy, it really can be like that, we even stayed a week in this ultra cute cottage and i could just see how tourists see the UK, like something out of the Lord of the Rings (and NOT in nZ!).

the UK does have issues but for me its about ignoring all that rubbish that the media inflames and in some cases causes and getting out into the countryside, to me thats what the Uk is about, i do wish it was a bit sunnier though, theres plenty sun here near chicago! Its horses for courses, the weird thing is if i'd had permanent residency in NZ i may have gone back but still may not have been happy, moving can be VERY difficult, it sends your emotions in all directions and sometimes its hard to decide between head and heart. Oh and xmas is more fun in the dark and cold! Id recommend anyboy to live in NZ, it just wasnt for me. incidentally when we moved there with some UK onds the house prices seemed so inexpensive, when we sold they had already gone up by a margin, i suspect thatt now things are not as affordable as just 5 years ago!!

bugman.
Hi Mandy

Any update on your move?

We've made the decision to go back too from NZ and are aiming to be back just after Christmas - in time for the sales!

We've told our nearest and dearest here and at home and everyone is very supportive and understanding of our decision. I'm still a bit torn but it is wonderful to see my OH so upbeat again and looking forward. It's such a relief to have made the decision though and now we can move on with the rest of our lives.

We are busy sorting the house for sale and got the shippers in for a quote so it's all coming together. My work have been so supportive and everyone we know has offered to help us make the move - maybe they are keen to get us out!

Must go a spider is looming near the pc and making me nervous - I hate those things.

Hope all is well with you

Milligano
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
The media here ram it down our throats that the country's going to the dogs and some people here are only too happy to swallow it.
Bizzarely,one of the main complaints is that so many people think the Uk is such a great place they want to come and live and work here - immigration. Go figure.
People here generally have a very good standard of living, with free health care, good wages for intelligent people willing to do some work and a very pleasant, scenic environment if you get out and about. If you take a look at the per-capita crime stats, you'll see that the UK isn't really worse than anythwere else. For example, per-captia, NZ is actually worse than the UK:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...mes-per-capita

Of course this sort of thing is always subjective and there's lies, damned lies and statistics, but the point is the UK is not the spiralling out of control crime factory and eveywhere else is a crime free paradise,that some people seem to think. It's hardly changed in the time you've been away. You'll get loads of people saying "why come back??!!?". I did, but these are people who've never lived anywhere else and don't appreciate the UK.

Ignore the "Uk's going to the dogs" clowns on these boards. The problem is with their lives, not the UK, and frankly we're better off without them.

Do what's best for you and your's and good luck.
Very well said and I agree with all your points.
I am not looking forward to the "why come back "comments.
For example my Mother in law has said to me oh don't come back here the Countrys gone down the hill nothing here to come back to etc.
Don't know how she can say these things as she never goes out of the house let alone has ever lived anywhere else.
It really annoys me.!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karaokeM
Hi

Thanks for your reply, I have actually been back to England three times for about 6 weeks each time ( and was reluctant to return). I know England has changed, but at the end of the day when I go back its like I revert to the person I used to be. Here in OZ I feel empty somehow, no encentive to do anything. Someone mentioned that a lot of little things about a place begin to niggle you. I never found that in the UK, probably because I did'nt know any different, but in OZ everythings seems to annoy me. I was talking to an Australian bloke at a party the other day, he and his wife has returned from around the world trip, and stated how europe, UK, etc was buzzing,loads to see and do, and when he returned here , he felt like it was just wilderness, no history, nothing to do. Look its a personal thing some people like city life, others country life. I find I'm bored to death here sometimes, everything seems so amateur, and disappointing. If I'm going to spend another 10- 20 years here, I need to know I have definitely made the right choice.

Mandy
I feel the same I am so very bored .Sometimes I think to myself is it me I am I not doing enough but I have done everything I can to change the way I feel and nothing has changed .I know I have to go home and yes maybe once home there will be days when I think on no what have I done and things will annoy me. I know its not going to be easy.But I will think back at how I felt and how lonely and empty I felt the whole time I was in OZ.
I will take back the positives as well as the negatives and try to learn from my mistakes.
It has been an amazing journey and in some ways I feel fortunate to have been able to of had the chance to do this.Would I do it all again?
Not sure about that one.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by milligano
Hi Mandy

Any update on your move?

We've made the decision to go back too from NZ and are aiming to be back just after Christmas - in time for the sales!

We've told our nearest and dearest here and at home and everyone is very supportive and understanding of our decision. I'm still a bit torn but it is wonderful to see my OH so upbeat again and looking forward. It's such a relief to have made the decision though and now we can move on with the rest of our lives.

We are busy sorting the house for sale and got the shippers in for a quote so it's all coming together. My work have been so supportive and everyone we know has offered to help us make the move - maybe they are keen to get us out!

Must go a spider is looming near the pc and making me nervous - I hate those things.

Hope all is well with you

Milligano
Hi Pauline,

Glad everything is going well with you. It looks as though we have sold our house and will go unconditional by Friday. We have had Crown Relocations around and they are able to move us out by the 20th of December, which is when the people want to move into our house (just in time for Xmas). We will spend 7/8 days in Los Angeles (take the children to Disneyland for Christmas).

My husband has finally accepted a job (very hard choice), so we will be moving to a completely new place. He will be working in Maidenhead. We are looking at Aylesbury and Thatcham in which to live. Aylesbury has 2 very good Grammar schools. We will be contacting the LEAs next week to find out some more info. The decision now is whether to rent or buy. It will actually make more financial sense for us to buy a house rather than rent. Daniel needs to start working in the middle of Jan so we will need to make a decision fairly soon.

Shipping will take 10 weeks approximately, so we have decided to leave quite alot of stuff behind and just buy new. We will find it very hard surviving without our belongings for such a long time

I took my friend's to the airport on Friday. They are returning to Denmark after being in NZ for 3 years and that was quite sad.

I would be grateful if anyone has any info on Aylesbury or Thatcham (West Berks) schools etc.....

Will let you know what happens.

Mandy.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

karaokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
I feel the same I am so very bored .Sometimes I think to myself is it me I am I not doing enough but I have done everything I can to change the way I feel and nothing has changed .I know I have to go home and yes maybe once home there will be days when I think on no what have I done and things will annoy me. I know its not going to be easy.But I will think back at how I felt and how lonely and empty I felt the whole time I was in OZ.
I will take back the positives as well as the negatives and try to learn from my mistakes.
It has been an amazing journey and in some ways I feel fortunate to have been able to of had the chance to do this.Would I do it all again?
Not sure about that one.

Dear Dreamaway

I have lived in a few places now and never felt quite the annonmosity that I feel here. I know I'm not alone, we have just got to know a couple through OH work and they have lived all over the world and she said that she finds it very hard to make friends here. I put my foot down and few months ago and said I want to go home, after posting his CV on the internet we have accepted a job in the middle east, but there were conditions to me accepting this, I wanted a house/flat in UK so I can return as and when I want to. I feel so much happier since making this decision and even lost a bit of weight, which to be honest has been an up hill struggle since coming to this end of the world. Poms we have made friends with here are obviously upset about us leaving and say what if you don't like it in the middle east, I cannot feel any worse than I do here at times, and at least I will have the option to go home in 9 hours or so.

All the best

Mandy
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:53 am
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pauline,

Glad everything is going well with you. It looks as though we have sold our house and will go unconditional by Friday. We have had Crown Relocations around and they are able to move us out by the 20th of December, which is when the people want to move into our house (just in time for Xmas). We will spend 7/8 days in Los Angeles (take the children to Disneyland for Christmas).

My husband has finally accepted a job (very hard choice), so we will be moving to a completely new place. He will be working in Maidenhead. We are looking at Aylesbury and Thatcham in which to live. Aylesbury has 2 very good Grammar schools. We will be contacting the LEAs next week to find out some more info. The decision now is whether to rent or buy. It will actually make more financial sense for us to buy a house rather than rent. Daniel needs to start working in the middle of Jan so we will need to make a decision fairly soon.

Shipping will take 10 weeks approximately, so we have decided to leave quite alot of stuff behind and just buy new. We will find it very hard surviving without our belongings for such a long time

I took my friend's to the airport on Friday. They are returning to Denmark after being in NZ for 3 years and that was quite sad.

I would be grateful if anyone has any info on Aylesbury or Thatcham (West Berks) schools etc.....

Mandy.

Hi Mandy

We live in Newbury which is 5 mins down the road from Thatcham- sorry cannot help with schools as we do not have children.

Andy suggested that the West Berks Website might be of some use though for you http://www.westberks.gov.uk/ also there is a forum called Newbury.net who maybe able to help www.newbury.net

Hope your move goes well.

Georgina & Andy
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pauline,

Mandy.

Great News Mandy! It's all coming together for you guys. What a relief about the house and good news too on the job front. I wish you well in your new venture.

I'm a big believer in things happen for a reason although now we've made the decision I am now like "ohmigod scary pants or what!" Suddenly you start to see how wonderful the place is but that's just sentiment kicking in.I hope!

I will be very sad to leave here but we always said if one person is not happy then none of us can be so we have to decide what is best for us all.

Wishing you and your family all the best I will pm you about something else.

Bye for now.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karaokeM
Dear Dreamaway

I have lived in a few places now and never felt quite the annonmosity that I feel here. I know I'm not alone, we have just got to know a couple through OH work and they have lived all over the world and she said that she finds it very hard to make friends here. I put my foot down and few months ago and said I want to go home, after posting his CV on the internet we have accepted a job in the middle east, but there were conditions to me accepting this, I wanted a house/flat in UK so I can return as and when I want to. I feel so much happier since making this decision and even lost a bit of weight, which to be honest has been an up hill struggle since coming to this end of the world. Poms we have made friends with here are obviously upset about us leaving and say what if you don't like it in the middle east, I cannot feel any worse than I do here at times, and at least I will have the option to go home in 9 hours or s y
Hi Mandy just read your post.Thanks for your reply.
I think what you are doing is very brave.
Good Luck with your move I think you will need your special place in the UK then at least when you get fed up you can just go and be there.at home.Also when you get fed up of the weather you can get some sun.
Good Luck with the Middle East hope you like it okay.
One day I hope to be in a position where I will live in the UK happily but have a little holiday home/flat in my special place in the sun.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 1:15 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utookmylove
OOOOPPPS so sorry its nz not oz my mistake!!!!!!!
Also trampy this is is forum where people have freadom of speech, yet again ppl seem to think unless you agree with them, you are not allowed a view.

tramp i just said my opinion ok it does not match with yours and yes england does have nice countryside but i hardly think everyone wants to sit and watch the country side go by everyday i am talking general stuff. in towns and citys mate i dont see any country side in a city with crime and all the crap which is going on so trampy i am allowed a view as it is a forum however freedom of speech in england is another valid point if you are hard working tax payer you dont get one!!!!!!!!!!
sorry buddy but crime gos on in every city in the world if it's that that makes it a craphole then the world is a craphole in general I cannot comment on NZ haven't lived there but I have lived in the uk and Aust and I can tell you in general you are safer in the uk . yes you have freedom of speech and so does every one else but broad statments like England is a craphole is going to envoke some strong opposition and as for the posters parents I'd be intrested what they use for comparison ? your opinion ?the daily mail ?

as for (and I know it wasn't your post)try Oz on your way past well up to you but it's going to cost it's not home and if you yern for home not just dislike NZ life I suggest you go home do not pass go do not stop at OZ go and be happy and don't let anyone take from you that you tried it you've been you've see and you've survived to tell the tail
Old Dec 10th 2006, 7:18 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Me and the OH come form inner London and have never lived any further than say 45 mins away so not exactly out in the country. We are used the sights and sounds of a city and it takes a lot to make us feel uncomfortable. When we lived in oz my Oh used to work all over Sydney (so am talking about Sydney but suppose you could apply it to any major town/city the world over).

Before we went he worked emergency shift as well normal daily shifts and these could be any where in the SE of London, including Brixton, Clapham, Peckham and the likes. When we went to oz he got a job which was basically the same work hour wise.
He came home from his first night shift and commented on the absolute no go areas he had worked in that night. Now you would never believe it from what is usually reported on this site and in the media, but some of the areas he worked in through out our time in oz made him uncomfortable to say the least. working with one eye over his shoulder and that was with a gang of blokes whereas in the uk he worked a 2 man gang so had less backup should something go wrong.
It all needs to be put into perspective. If you choose an area to live/ work that you wouldn't have dreamed of living in in the uk then you are going to be put off big time.
As it is we have lived very close to the city in both uk and aus and have been very lucky in both countries.
The uk has some very bad points, and in some ways other countries handle certain situations better but if you speak to people from what is perceived to be better countries than the uk they will tell you that each and every place has a certain element of areas where you really wouldn't want to go.

If you are leaving the uk to find somewhere crime and chav/bogun free then you will be disapointed.

Louise
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Has Anyone on this Forum returned from New Zealand and regretted it?

We are in the process of returning to the UK later this year, but everything seems so daunting. After being in NZ for 4 years I find myself scared to return (which seems ridiculous after spending 32 years of my life in the UK!). I think alot has to do with the media and how they portray the UK. I know there must be parts of the Uk that are still nice. We are thinking about returning to live in Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire.

When I told my parents we were returning to the UK, their response was "Why would you want to come back to this Cr@p hole?''. Not very supportive I know and I am bringing 4 of their only grandchildren back (whom they have not seen for 4 years!).

Any advice, knowledge of these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mandy.
Hi Mandy,
In spite of negative stuff said about UK crime, etc. there are stacks of places you can still enjoy. We live near the Cotswolds /Wilts, (not a fancy house, but nice). Lived here for years - not mugged...broken into....etc. Sure these things happen, but the Media is very distorted - only prints rotten stuff - sells newspapers!! When we lived overseas, we saw a report 'can't drink the milk anymore in the UK, due to BSE crisis!!' When we returned, my parents laughed at this, all total nonsense of course.

Guess you just need common sense, like anywhere. All The Very Best.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:27 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Budowsky
in reply to your post

1) working hours are typically not longer than the UK. I work a 37 hour week have 5 weeks holiday a year (which my employer allows me to take all at xmas if I want to). Shame! Hubby had to some overtime...

2) Taxes 33%? Wrong. It's 19.5 % up to 38000 and then 33% on the rest above that up to 60000

3) At least she didn't send troops to Iraq on a fake WMD dosier...

4) Kids in England a lot worse no question.

5) Not sure about that. Where I live is a free ambulance service but not sure about hospital prices, and ACC contribute to some accidents.

6) You are dreaming! Compare to where exactly? You can buy a good house in most parts of NZ for a fraction you will pay in England.

7) Good!

8) Weather is NOT the same. It's heaps better. Even where I live in Windy Wellington during the winter you get loads of crisp sunny clear days. Not like grey, dull, depressing England. In places like Nelson, Tauranga, Napier, Gisbourne etc you get superb weather in the summer, and the rest is pretty good to! You also get great ski-weather on the ski-fields.

9) Crime? Not sure what part of England you left from, but I have lived in Blackpool,Manchester,Salford, Bournemouth, Christchurch, Luton, Blandford, London, Andover, Highcliffe and Nottingham and I can say without doubt there is NOWHERE near as much crime in NZ. I've left my garage wide open by mistake one day when the automatic door failed to shut, with thousands of dollars worth of scuba gear, surf-boards, wetsuits and 5000$ bike in there. In manchester it would have been cleaned out. I got back that night and it was untouched. This was in Newtown the so called rough area of wellington.

I agree,

We too have left our garage open several times with lots of goodies in there & not a thing gone. We were at the beach a few weeks ago & I said to my government ( missus) to look next to us, there was a blanket with a flashy mobile sitting on it, a handbag and next to the pretty new Jeep. I don't think there is many places like that around.

I would not say there is no crime here, but by comparison! THere are issues but hell, by comparison ?

I think NZ is a great place and grows on us more & more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.