Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to live with expired UK passports

Returning to live with expired UK passports

Old Jan 31st 2022, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Returning to live with expired UK passports

Hi, I have tried searching, but cannot find this question.

At short notice my wife and I are returning to the UK to live (from Australia). Our UK passports have expired (but we have them). We have birth certificates and current Australian passports.

Are we likely to have a problem gaining entry at border control?

Thanks,
Lee
Old Jan 31st 2022, 8:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Returning to live with expired UK passports

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Hi, I have tried searching, but cannot find this question.

At short notice my wife and I are returning to the UK to live (from Australia). Our UK passports have expired (but we have them). We have birth certificates and current Australian passports.

Are we likely to have a problem gaining entry at border control?

Thanks,
Lee

I expect someone more authoritative than I will be along, but my understanding is that as a British citizen (which you can prove with your birth certificates and expired British passports) that you will have no problem entering the UK. They can't keep you out.

It is, however, worth making sure that your airline of choice will not have/create a problem letting you on the plane without a current British passport since that is the country you are travelling to. They may have to confirm that you are allowed entry. I don't think Australians need visas though, so perhaps in theory you could fly on your Aus passports and then show your UK birth certificates to enter. But please don't take my word for this, since I am in no way an expert.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I expect someone more authoritative than I will be along, but my understanding is that as a British citizen (which you can prove with your birth certificates and expired British passports) that you will have no problem entering the UK. They can't keep you out.

It is, however, worth making sure that your airline of choice will not have/create a problem letting you on the plane without a current British passport since that is the country you are travelling to. They may have to confirm that you are allowed entry. I don't think Australians need visas though, so perhaps in theory you could fly on your Aus passports and then show your UK birth certificates to enter. But please don't take my word for this, since I am in no way an expert.
Yes, we plan on flying on Aus passports. I expect that will be fine. Thanks for the reply Lion
Old Jan 31st 2022, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we plan on flying on Aus passports. I expect that will be fine. Thanks for the reply Lion

As you are returning to the UK presume you will only be purchasing one way tickets? Will that not cause a problem with the airline?

I would expect some questions at the UK airport if you respond you are staying for good, if asked how long your visit is for (entering on Aussie passports you will be expected to be only visiting)
Old Jan 31st 2022, 9:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As you are returning to the UK presume you will only be purchasing one way tickets? Will that not cause a problem with the airline?

I would expect some questions at the UK airport if you respond you are staying for good, if asked how long your visit is for (entering on Aussie passports you will be expected to be only visiting)
I think the idea may be that they enter on the back of their UK birth certificates and expired British passports as British citizens, not on their Australian passports. What you put in for the flight isn't what you have to enter with, at least it isn't when I fly US to UK. I always leave and enter the US with my US passport, and that is what I put in the computer system when I buy my ticket. But when I land, I just go through as a British citizen with my British passport (for them it will be the birth certifs and expired passports). Never had even a question on it.

I am also assuming that since they are leaving Australia, rather than entering, that Australia cares not at all whether their tickets are one way or return and they are in any case Australian citizens. The only possible concern, as I mentioned, is if they doubt whether the passengers have the right to enter the UK. Might be worth taking the phone number of wherever they can call to check this to the airport in case the check-in people don't understand.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jan 31st 2022 at 9:27 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 9:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... my understanding is that as a British citizen (which you can prove with your birth certificates and expired British passports) that you will have no problem entering the UK. They can't keep you out. ....
I concur with this advice - there might be some grumbling and eye-rolling at immigration, but they can't keep you out, and have no good reason not to allow you to enter as a British citizen (no time limit for your stay) if you have a recently expired (machine readable) British passport to show alongside your Aussie passport.
..... The only possible concern, as I mentioned, is if they doubt whether the passengers have the right to enter the UK. Might be worth taking the phone number of wherever they can call to check this to the airport in case the check-in people don't understand.
Agreed, the airlines get concerned with one way tickets in case the passenger is denied entry because then the airline is on the hook to take them back from whence they came, and the airline might have to bounce another passenger from a full flight to make room for the person who arrived and was not allowed to enter.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 31st 2022 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I question on it.
. The only possible concern, as I mentioned, is if they doubt whether the passengers have the right to enter the UK. Might be worth taking the phone number of wherever they can call to check this to the airport in case the check-in people don't understand.
Hence my post above and my question "will that not cause a problem with the airline" .......

Why not get your Brit passports to alleviate any issue ... ?
Old Jan 31st 2022, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why not get your Brit passports to alleviate any issue ... ?
Mainly timing. This has come at quite short notice. We aim to travel in 6 weeks and on the UK Gov Overseas Passport application it states any non-UK passports have to be posted to them along with the application form. This leaves us with no passports at all.
Old Jan 31st 2022, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

There is the urgent application, but god knows what it costs.

https://www.passports.gov.au/urgent-applications
Thanks. That is for an Australia Passport. I have a current Australian Passport. I just do not have a current UK passport and the UK wants me to send my Australian passport in to the UK if I apply. So I am trying to ascertain if I can travel on Australian and have no issues with evidence to the UK based on birth certificate and old UK passport (and other collateral like P60s galore that show my UK National Insurance Number)
Old Jan 31st 2022, 11:39 pm

Thanks. That is for an Australia Passport. I have a current Australian Passport. I just do not have a current UK passport and the UK wants me to send my Australian passport in to the UK if I apply. So I am trying to ascertain if I can travel on Australian and have no issues with evidence to the UK based on birth certificate and old UK passport (and other collateral like P60s galore that show my UK National Insurance Number)
Yes I just deleted my post on the grounds of being stupid, sorry. Careless linking.

I understand what you want to know. There may be somebody else here who can be 100% sure, although we seem to believe that you will be ok.

Maybe call the British Embassy/Consulate and ask?
Old Feb 1st 2022, 12:04 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Is a two way ticket ( which often is no more expensive than a one way, and sometimes cheaper) worth getting, and using the Australia passport to exit Oz on and enter the UK on? Wouldn't this remove obstacles and inconveniences?
Old Feb 1st 2022, 12:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The UK doesn't actually need your Aussie passport to process a new British passport for you. Many people send a copy of the data pages of non-UK passport(s), and in my case, between preparing my application and sealing and mailing the envelope several months later, I completely forgot about including a copy of my US passport, but it didn't stop my new UK passport arriving back eight days later - my application was mailed in the UK on Monday, and my new passport arrived at my home in the US on Wednesday of the following week.
Old Feb 1st 2022, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Maybe call the British Embassy/Consulate and ask?
Thanks. I tried that, but they said they know nothing on the topic and couldn't advise

Phoned London to Immigration and they said it was nothing to do with them, it was a Border Force issue. I couldn't get hold of Border Force at all. Hence trying here.
Old Feb 1st 2022, 3:21 am

Thanks. I tried that, but they said they know nothing on the topic and couldn't advise

Phoned London to Immigration and they said it was nothing to do with them, it was a Border Force issue. I couldn't get hold of Border Force at all. Hence trying here.
Sounds like leveling up incompetence to me.

Sorry, we aren't being much help are we. You probably already tried all these.

https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/about/
Old Feb 1st 2022, 5:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

- the UK passport office des not know if you hold an Aus passport. If you "forget" to include it o(r a copy of it) they will be none the wiser. I've done 3 UK renewals sine I emigrated and never given them any details of the Aus one
- you are fine to fly on the Aus one. The airline will let you check in as Aus citizens can do 3 months visa free in the UK anyway, they will not have to worry about you being refused entry. If they question you at the entry point to the UK just tell them you haven't had time to renew the passports, and show them the old ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.