Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

returning for just a short time?

returning for just a short time?

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

SoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really nice
Default returning for just a short time?

We may be returning to the Uk for just one year (from the U.S) My biggest concern is my 2 boys, due to go into 6th and 7th grades respectively this fall. They are both in advanced streams at school, and from comparing notes with my friends back home they are streets ahead in terms of what they are learning.

My challenge is to 'somehow' try to keep them up to speed with their peers, so they can seamlessly (or relatively so) streamline back into school in the US in fall 2010. I KNOW they will be gutted if they need to repeat the grade, as thay have been at school in the US since kindergarten and have great buddies there. Where I will be living back in the UK there are no advanced type schools or even any schools which will support differentiated curriculum. There is one school (private, very expensive) which attracts a lot of expats. But I have a niece attending this school and frankly the academic standard is quite poor.

I thought here was a post recently about this topic, but have searched to no avail. Is there anyone else who has done this/is doing this and has any bright ideas? I have thought of supplementing the curriculum myself maybe with a homeschooling package (but also sending them to a local school for the social interaction) I have also thought of employing a private tutor for say the math and keeping up that way. I still need to speak with the school and see what their view is. Don't expect them to be overly helpful, we live in a small suburban community where students do not tend to do 'strange' things like go off to Europe for a year. SO before I speak with the school, I wanted to have my plan all set up.

Any advice, or BTDT experience very welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SoccerMomby2; Jul 22nd 2009 at 10:47 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning for just a short time?

My son came to US school in grade 7, he was OK but the math is different, appearing to be nearly all algebra, so you might want to get a tutor for that. The UK curriculum is broader. They do have gifted programmes over there as well which might be suitable, but I would also think your boys will have an awful lot of changes to contend with in addition to the academic side of things. Schools are usually helpful if you approach them the right way, maybe hold back telling them your kids are 'streets ahead' etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:53 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I've no experience, but I've always had the feeling that the UK is ahead of the US, age for age. Anyway, why not ask the US teachers for the year's outline, then you can get tutors to fill in any differences.

As someone said a while back,some people spend big bucks to send their kids for a year or two in Europe. Can you look at it that way?

Bev
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

SoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really niceSoccerMomby2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bevm
I've no experience, but I've always had the feeling that the UK is ahead of the US, age for age. Anyway, why not ask the US teachers for the year's outline, then you can get tutors to fill in any differences.

As someone said a while back,some people spend big bucks to send their kids for a year or two in Europe. Can you look at it that way?

Bev
Oh yes, Bev, I view it as a very positive experience for them, as well as having contact with family back in the UK. The schooling is my only concern.
I think in yesrs to come the boys will appreciate the year. We plan to do lots of things in the Uk that we couldn't do easily from the US, lots of travel to european cities etc. I am looking forward to the year.

Sally, thanks for the reply. Yes, the math is very algebra focussed. This year my 6th grader would be studying pre algebra and the 7th grader algebra. My math is OK, did it to university level, but still might get aa tutor for them for a couple of hours a week.

Sorry I worded my original post badly. I meant that I would talk with the US school to see what assistance they could give me in identifyng the curriculum topics etc. I won't approach the UK school, not yet anyway, and would certainly not say my kids were streets ahead. Because there will be different subjects for them to study, so they won't be ahead in everything, but they will definitely be in math and in Science, certainly from comparing notes with my friends with similar aged kids at 2 different schools in my area of the UK..