Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning home after 20 years

Returning home after 20 years

Old Nov 24th 2021, 1:06 am
Just Joined

SherpaDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning home after 20 years

Hello all. I have been in the US for 20 years and am being drawn home. I never became a US Citizen and still have my passport so I’m happy about being able to get there… and my brother will put me up for a while so we are good there.

I will continue to be paid in dollars and spend significant amounts of time in the US so I’m not sure how tax will work… and most important I don’t know how to sign on at the doctors and don’t have my NI number any more.

howneasy is it to sign on with a GP?
Old Nov 24th 2021, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning home after 20 years

Good morning SherpaDave

It probably depends on your local surgery but a forum regular called vh3 has posted the following useful info in the recent thread entitled “Renting” (in the DISCUSSIONS section):

“Our local health centre let us join with proof of passport and birth certificate. They accepted our Airbnb address.”

If, worst case scenario, your particular surgery insists on a utility bill, maybe your brother would let you take over his electricity account for a few months?
Old Nov 24th 2021, 7:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SherpaDave
Hello all. I have been in the US for 20 years and am being drawn home. I never became a US Citizen and still have my passport so I’m happy about being able to get there… and my brother will put me up for a while so we are good there.

I will continue to be paid in dollars and spend significant amounts of time in the US so I’m not sure how tax will work… and most important I don’t know how to sign on at the doctors and don’t have my NI number any more.

howneasy is it to sign on with a GP?
Your GP practice will look up your NHS number (it's different to your NI number). When my Brit husband and I (Australian) moved to England, he just had to show his passport and proof of address. I had to show my passport, my biometric residence permit and proof of address. The practice found my husband's NHS number (he'd been away for 25 years) and arranged for me to be issued one.

Maybe take your brother with you when you go so he can verify that you're living with him. He might want to take some photo ID and a utility bill, but the practice will let him know if they need anything in particular. Best of luck with your return.

Old Nov 24th 2021, 7:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as above, dead easy to register with a GP, a lot of them now have online applications via a website, or you just pop in with proof of address.

Might be worth considering getting US citizenship as well? Your green card can be revoked if you no longer have your permanent home in the US and/or spend too long outside the US, and trying to enter repeatedly on the VWP if that does happen may result in you being refused entry. If you're a dual citizen then you wouldn't have to worry and could just come and go between each country as you please.

Good luck with the move back.