Reload this Page >

Returning with family after nightmare abroad

Returning with family after nightmare abroad

Old Jul 31st 2020, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Slipperx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning with family after nightmare abroad

Hi

I have been denied permission to leave where I have been living as an expat for the last 20 years. I was the victim if a huge fraud and spent the last 10 years fighting for my assets back. Further scammed by lawyers and denied work for 6 years as well as denied permission to leave.

The malicious cases against me have been finally thrown out and I can escape with my four children but will be homeless and penniless when we arrive.

I wonder if anyone can help with advice on the best way to plan beginning to sort things out, find housing help, benefits, getting kids into school and generally getting back on my feet. At 62 job prospects will be hard especially at this time.

Any help gratefully received.
ian
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning with family after nightmare abroad

Wow, sounds awful and good luck for the future. Is it possible you could reveal the country this happened in and where you're returning too?
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 3:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian. This government webpage may be of assistance. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/returning-to-the-uk

There is also this advisory service for people returning to the UK http://heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/what...k-from-abroad/

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 3rd 2020 at 3:39 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Habitual Residency Test" will be a stumbling block when trying to get benefits. Google and read.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 3:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
"Habitual Residency Test" will be a stumbling block when trying to get benefits. Google and read.
The implications of this are that little is available from the public purse until you have been in the UK for three months, so during that period you may be largely reliant on family members and charity if you literally have no resources.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Yes it is Thailand and returning to the UK. It IS awful; and also behaviour contrary to the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights since taking away a person's right to earn is only forced on foreigners and before the case comes to court. 6 years is a long time to support a family of four without income and having to try to run multiple civil and criminal cases. The foreign office are completely uninterested and told me to bring the case myself. Reading the rules an individual cannot bring a personal case before the International Court ssince Thailand has opted out of that particular mechanism for obvious reasons - well obvious if you have lived in Asia for any period of time anyway.

Got to move forward though hence my post. Thanks for showing an interest in my predicament too!!
Old Aug 4th 2020, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Hi to the Aussie Ping Ponger ha ha

Thanks for those links. The first I had read already but the second was very useful. I better get registered with my mum's local doctor then, but she is nearly 100 so I won't be asking her!!

I'll see if I can get some letter from the Embassy - they seem to be being a little more accommodating now the proverbial has hit the fan. If they had stepped in a little bit earlier then my family probably would not be in this mess. Such are the wheels of the foreign office though. Finger crossed.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Lost in Cyberspace is probably a better place to be in these times. I did read about the HRT but your comment has helped cement the importance of getting whatever evidence I can to try to convince the authorities of our position. Doctor's Registration and maybe some emails to local schools to show I need to get my kids back into schooling - going to be a bit traumatic for the older ones despite their doing IGCSE at home these last few years.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Hi Pulaski

Yes I expect that to be the case. I can go without but the kids needs I'll fight for. I do appreciate this money comes from people who work and pay tax - I was one of them once - so I come from a position of 'no other alternative'. Family has to be first though. Just trying to see what I can do to make it as easy as possible on them.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 2:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slipperx
..... Just trying to see what I can do to make it as easy as possible on them.
Setting up a gofundme should be high up your list of priorities. I have seen recently that even a modest request to help a couple without children move less than 200 miles raised over £2,500. If you have a few friends on FB who can help spread the word of your predicament you should be able to raise enough to at least give you a leg-up when you get back to the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 4th 2020 at 2:13 am.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Setting up a gofundme should be high up your list of priorities. I have seen recently that even a modest request to help a couple without children move less than 200 miles raised over £2,500. If you have a few friends on FB who can help spread the word of your predicament you should be able to raise enough to at least give you a leg-up when you get back to the UK.
That is a great idea - I had no idea it was suited to my sort of situation. I have no idea how to set it up but will now go off and research as we will surely be in trouble financially on our return. I think I'll get a lot of blame coming my way for the decision to move to Thailand in the first place (when I was really relatively well off and could afford it). But then no one expects to have everything stolen and end up penniless through the corruption and cheating within the legal process than I have endured. I don't fear the criticism but do wonder if I will be able to keep civility with those who just cannot understand the situation or choose to ignore it. So much negativity online. Anyway - it's a great idea for which I thank you.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 3:49 am

.... Anyway - it's a great idea for which I thank you.
You're welcome. Good luck!
Old Aug 4th 2020, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Easy to lose it all in Thailand.That happened to several colleagues in the Middle East who decided that Thailand was the place to settle and do business. All of them lived to regret that, including one who thought he was well-integrated, with fluency in Thai language. He invested in a condominium which is now owned by someone else.

Last edited by scot47; Aug 4th 2020 at 11:34 am.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 11:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That is a great idea - I had no idea it was suited to my sort of situation. I have no idea how to set it up but will now go off and research as we will surely be in trouble financially on our return. I think I'll get a lot of blame coming my way for the decision to move to Thailand in the first place (when I was really relatively well off and could afford it). But then no one expects to have everything stolen and end up penniless through the corruption and cheating within the legal process than I have endured. I don't fear the criticism but do wonder if I will be able to keep civility with those who just cannot understand the situation or choose to ignore it. So much negativity online. Anyway - it's a great idea for which I thank you.
If you worry about getting negative feedback if you try and get money using a GoFundMe, maybe an email to friends/family you think may be receptive would be better? They're likely to be the same people that will contribute to a GFM anyway. You'll need money to start with as you won't be eligible for most benefits, so unfortunately if you don't have anything yourself you will need to ask others for charity.

You've not said, but I assume you and your children are UK citizens so no visa issues moving back? And you have the mothers permission to move them?
Old Aug 5th 2020, 3:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

See this post, the bolded part in particular