Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to England - University?

Returning to England - University?

Old May 20th 2009, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

F1Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to England - University?

Hi, as a new member to this website I've found some pretty interesting stuff but I still have a few questions. I've been living in Canada for the past 12 years but I really want to return to England at some point in the near future. Is it very difficult to enter a British university with a Canadian high school education? I have just completed my first year at university in Canada towards my degree but if I were to complete the degree here would it be recognised back in the UK? I would hate to spend the money on my education in Canada only to find out it is useless back there. If anyone has any info on this then that would be great.

Thanks.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to England - University?

Originally Posted by F1Fan
Hi, as a new member to this website I've found some pretty interesting stuff but I still have a few questions. I've been living in Canada for the past 12 years but I really want to return to England at some point in the near future. Is it very difficult to enter a British university with a Canadian high school education? I have just completed my first year at university in Canada towards my degree but if I were to complete the degree here would it be recognised back in the UK? I would hate to spend the money on my education in Canada only to find out it is useless back there. If anyone has any info on this then that would be great.

Thanks.

I think a Canadian undergraduate degree would not be a problem if you apply for a postgrad programme in the UK. We're currently advertising a PhD studentship and have had several overseas applicants. I also serve on a postgrad committee and many of our postgrads have international degrees.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

If you have not physically resided in the UK for the three years prior to the UK course's commencement, you'll be classified as a foreign student and be charged as such. (Except for PhDs)
Old May 20th 2009, 4:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
If you have not physically resided in the UK for the three years prior to the UK course's commencement, you'll be classified as a foreign student and be charged as such. (Except for PhDs)
- Hmmm, that last part is news to me ... at our place, internationals pay higher fees regardless of whether they are undergrad or postgrad. Some postgrad studentships may pay the extra, but others don't (ours only includes a budget for UK student tuition/fees, for example).

Good point about fees, though.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
- Hmmm, that last part is news to me ... at our place, internationals pay higher fees regardless of whether they are undergrad or postgrad. Some postgrad studentships may pay the extra, but others don't (ours only includes a budget for UK student tuition/fees, for example).

Good point about fees, though.
Hmmm...OK....I guess I should have said...some PhDs are exempt from this....
Old May 20th 2009, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

d_woo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
i know some uk universities do student swaps, ie a UK student goes and does a year in US for example. i dont know much about it, but maybe you could look into that? just a suggestion
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:59 am
Just Joined

F1Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Thanks for the feedback. So even if I'm British I'll still be considered a foreign student? Do you have any idea how much more I'd have to pay to attend college or university as a foreign student?
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So even if I'm British I'll still be considered a foreign student?
Correct.

Do you have any idea how much more I'd have to pay to attend college or university as a foreign student?
It really depends on the course and the university....ball park....could be 12-15K a year compared to 5-9K as a home student.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:01 am
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Thanks for the feedback. So even if I'm British I'll still be considered a foreign student? Do you have any idea how much more I'd have to pay to attend college or university as a foreign student?

You must be resident in the UK or the EU for the three years immediately before the start of the course.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm
Old May 25th 2009, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

CityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really nice

I am looking to go to uni when I return to the UK. My Australian undergraduate studies are not an issue, though I do have a PGDip too. Not having residing in the UK for the last 3 years I will be classed as an international student and the Masters I am looking at is 1 year and will cost 10k. Interestingly the cost of the course I want to do is not much difference to a full fee paying course here. Some courses attract government subsidy here but most postgrad courses dont including the one I am interested in. Hope this helps.