Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to England from New Zealand.

Returning to England from New Zealand.

Old Feb 12th 2022, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to England from New Zealand.

Originally Posted by alicerose
..... We don’t feel like we belong here now…but the worry is; will we feel like we belong there!!! ....
That is frequently the curse of the emigrant - you never really fit in anywhere, it is tough to truly integrate into your new country, and if you return "home" then home has often changed so much you feel like an outsider there too.

I really couldn't return to the UK for several reasons, don't want to, and never planned to, but I am an oddball outsider here in the US too, and will never fit the mold here. Despite more than twenty years living here, and with a life in many respects that looks just like many others, with an oversize home, SUV, pickup, and Mustang, I still have my accent (though that hasn't changed much since I left Sheffield when I was eight years old, so I felt like an outsider in London too), and feel perpetually caught between two countries.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 12th 2022 at 3:45 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2022, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to England from New Zealand.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is frequently the curse of the emigrant - you never really fit in anywhere, it is tough to truly integrate into your new country, and if you return "home" then home has often changed so much you feel like an outsider there too.

I really couldn't return to the UK for several reasons, don't want to, and never planned to, but I am an oddball outsider here in the US too, and will never fit the mold here. Despite more than twenty years living here, and with a life in many respects that looks just like many others, with an oversize home, SUV, pickup, and Mustang, I still have my accent (though that hasn't changed much since I left Sheffield when I was eight years old, so I felt like an outsider in London too), and feel perpetually caught between two countries.
Yes it's not always easy, then a lot of people create their own problems by believing they have to fit in. Integrating for me is accepting local laws but I can still live my own life and make my home feel like a home. I feel at home in Ireland although I'm not one bit interested in gaelic sports and never watch Irish TV. The bigger struggles for people are often financial, being away from family and local language.