Returning dogs to UK

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:14 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning dogs to UK

Well managed to get hold of vet and he will hold fire sending the bloods - I will call DEFRA tomorrow and find out . . . . .
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:21 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
The bloods are suppose to be taken 21 days after they have had the jab and thats the date your quarantine starts.......
A record of a previous rabies jab is not accepted, for the certificate, or at least it wasn't, when i was doing all this .......I had a right do with them over that one with my cats .
But see what they say, they may just totally contradict me .....but i'd hate for you to go through all that and then get refused at the last min...

They very nearly didn't let mine out of Manchester airport.......Because of the tick treatment........Apparently Canada doesn't have a tick treatment for cats........ So the vet gave them the one for dogs...and apparently their is something in it that can be deadly for cats
Thats what I thought . . . I thought the 21 days thing is to ensure that the stuff has "taken effect" before the bloods are taken - they say the 6months doesnt start til the certificate comes back . . .
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the 6 months starts from the date of the blood draw ('cos it can take 2-4 weeks for the results to come back) - but if the results are OK, then the date of the blood draw starts the clock ...
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:29 am
half a century

I;ll do all this and then it will all turn out rosy over here won't it!!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I;ll do all this and then it will all turn out rosy over here won't it!!
Yep - sod's law, innit
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice

The waiting period starts from the day they have the blood test, which is 21 days after the rabies jab but 30 days for some European countries. Not sure which , but for the sake of a week I've decided to wait the extra 7 days in case we want to take our dog somewhere else in Europe in the future.

I emailed the quarantine kennels directly with some questions (looked them up on the DEFRA website) and they were really helpful. And prices varied quite a bit, so it's worth looking into if there's more than one kennel in your area. One of the kennels gave me some useful tips about booking the flight etc, so it's definately worth getting in touch.

And if you have to leave before the 6 months is up, your pet just spends the remainder of the time in quarantine in the UK, not the whole 6 months.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:48 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I thought . . . I thought the 21 days thing is to ensure that the stuff has "taken effect" before the bloods are taken - they say the 6months doesnt start til the certificate comes back . . .
Hi ....Just been pondering ( dangerous i know ) My cats were not micro chipped, when they had their first jabs And thats maybe the difference

Hope i've not sent you on a wild goose chase ........Apologies if thats the case
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:43 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by sans
Hi ....Just been pondering ( dangerous i know ) My cats were not micro chipped, when they had their first jabs And thats maybe the difference

Hope i've not sent you on a wild goose chase ........Apologies if thats the case
yup they have to be micro chipped BEFORE the jab!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:56 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

yup they have to be micro chipped BEFORE the jab!
Yes to come back, but not to go.....And mine didn't have the chip, so maybe thats why mine had to have the 2nd lot of jabs and the chip.....
Anyway what ever i wish you all the best.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:07 pm
half a century

Weeeeeellll - I emailed my ma n pa and they contacted Defra - all is well and good - as they were chipped THEN jabbed they can just have bloods done here and its 6 months from date of bloods taken - so went back into the vets today to say yup send em off pardner!!

Any way - am in a better place today - much happier - maybe its just knowing they can go back in oct if I wanted them too etc . . . . as it is me and kids going back for a week on 21st oct - I start my job next week the sun is out . . .my MIL is out . . . .aaah - think I will central vac the house!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:08 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by VCox
The waiting period starts from the day they have the blood test, which is 21 days after the rabies jab but 30 days for some European countries. Not sure which , but for the sake of a week I've decided to wait the extra 7 days in case we want to take our dog somewhere else in Europe in the future.

I emailed the quarantine kennels directly with some questions (looked them up on the DEFRA website) and they were really helpful. And prices varied quite a bit, so it's worth looking into if there's more than one kennel in your area. One of the kennels gave me some useful tips about booking the flight etc, so it's definately worth getting in touch.

And if you have to leave before the 6 months is up, your pet just spends the remainder of the time in quarantine in the UK, not the whole 6 months.
thanks for the info
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Trisha52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok - this may or may not happen - but just checking the situation.

Dogs came out with us to Canada in Dec -all jabbed up bit no bloods taken - from reading the defra info - if we want to go back - they need their bloods tested and if it comes back ok they can travel 6months AFTER this date?? is that right or am i reading it wrong? ?
I have two cats that frequently go from all over the world to England and they have the new Pet Passports. Ask a British vet to send you the empty passport and get your vet to do the necessary rables and blood tests etc. It says in the passport what is needed. VERY important is to not leave the country of origin before the six months are up if the levels are ok. and keep the Rabies jabs up to date -do not let even a day go over the time limit. Also it is important that the flea jabs have to be timed to the exact time of arrival in the uk or you have problems, I was held up at Calais once because I arrived at 6p.m. and the vet had written that one of the flea jabs was done the day before at 9a.m. instead of 6p.m. I had to get a fax from the Vet to explain that it was a mistake and they had been done at 6p.m. the day before.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:44 pm
half a century

Thanks Trish
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:45 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trisha52
I have two cats that frequently go from all over the world to England and they have the new Pet Passports. Ask a British vet to send you the empty passport and get your vet to do the necessary rables and blood tests etc. It says in the passport what is needed. VERY important is to not leave the country of origin before the six months are up if the levels are ok. and keep the Rabies jabs up to date -do not let even a day go over the time limit. Also it is important that the flea jabs have to be timed to the exact time of arrival in the uk or you have problems, I was held up at Calais once because I arrived at 6p.m. and the vet had written that one of the flea jabs was done the day before at 9a.m. instead of 6p.m. I had to get a fax from the Vet to explain that it was a mistake and they had been done at 6p.m. the day before.
You need the Third Country Official Veterinary Certificate when bringing pets into the UK from Canada. Pet Passports can only be issued when the pet is actually in an EU country. Same process, different documentation.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...ocuments.htm#2
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:49 am
half a century

Thanks all - is now under control

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.