Return postponed.........

Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:57 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
polarbearmum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 207
polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Return postponed.........

So just 8 weeks before we are due to travel and just 4 weeks before the dogs is eligible to go we are faced with a huge problem.

Our little four legged baby has been diagnosed with Evans Syndrome. Basically his immune system has decided to attack his red blood cells and platelets. He was on a immune suppressent steriod Prednisone for 6 days but unfortunately this was not to be enough, he has just been started on Imuran as well. In addition to this there are a few other medications that he is taking to counteract any of the side effects from the steriods. Basically we are looking at a huge medical bill when we pick him up today.

It is just a matter of waiting now to see whether his levels increase and he begins to recover. Then it will be months of fine tuning the levels of meds he is on, in the hope that we will eventually be able to stop the meds completely. So we have delayed by 6 months to give him a chance to get better. But this is not the end of it. If he has to remain on the prednisone for the remainder of his life then we cannot vaccinate him ever again (well it will be against medical advice to do so) therefore no rabies boosters and therefore no PETS scheme, and no move to the UK.

Of course there is also the possibility that he will not make it at all, he could go at any time. We bring him home today, but he is very weak and will need to be confined to one area. As a result of his weakness he also has trouble controlling his outputs. We will be cleaning up for a while which is great as we are atill trying to sell this damn house. Have to either stop viewings for 2 weeks or insist that buyers walk through when at least one of us is still here. We cannot take the dog out whilst he is in this state. Just have to make sure we clean up immediately after any accidents otherwise the smell alone will put people off.

My OH was responsible enough to give his company a far bit of notice that he would be leaving, therefore enabling a replacement to be found and training to be undertaken. Wow has that ever been a mistake. He told his boss what was going on with the dog and therefore the delay, only to be told that 'I've filled your job'. It was not like he was asking for the job back, but his boss had made huge efforts and verbal offers in the past for him to stay and do some other things, they were consistently trying to persuade him to stay but when it comes to the crunch its tough luck honey!

OH starts as a contractor in 2 weeks. We are attempting to stockpile money to pay for vet bills, replenish the nest egg we had for the move to the UK and try to avoid me having to work parttime and therefore avoid childcare expenses. Oh yeah it turns out that even if we sell our house for asking, we will not be making money on the place........... we were looking at a move back to Calgary as we have family support there, more in our comfort zone etc bu that looks like it won't be possible either. The theory behind it being that if we do have to stay for longer than 6 months then my mental well being is important and staying in Red Deer will not work.

Oh bugger!!!!!! Can things get any worse??????????
polarbearmum is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2007, 12:17 am
  #2  
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,457
terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Return postponed.........

Originally Posted by polarbearmum
So just 8 weeks before we are due to travel and just 4 weeks before the dogs is eligible to go we are faced with a huge problem.

Our little four legged baby has been diagnosed with Evans Syndrome. Basically his immune system has decided to attack his red blood cells and platelets. He was on a immune suppressent steriod Prednisone for 6 days but unfortunately this was not to be enough, he has just been started on Imuran as well. In addition to this there are a few other medications that he is taking to counteract any of the side effects from the steriods. Basically we are looking at a huge medical bill when we pick him up today.

It is just a matter of waiting now to see whether his levels increase and he begins to recover. Then it will be months of fine tuning the levels of meds he is on, in the hope that we will eventually be able to stop the meds completely. So we have delayed by 6 months to give him a chance to get better. But this is not the end of it. If he has to remain on the prednisone for the remainder of his life then we cannot vaccinate him ever again (well it will be against medical advice to do so) therefore no rabies boosters and therefore no PETS scheme, and no move to the UK.

Of course there is also the possibility that he will not make it at all, he could go at any time. We bring him home today, but he is very weak and will need to be confined to one area. As a result of his weakness he also has trouble controlling his outputs. We will be cleaning up for a while which is great as we are atill trying to sell this damn house. Have to either stop viewings for 2 weeks or insist that buyers walk through when at least one of us is still here. We cannot take the dog out whilst he is in this state. Just have to make sure we clean up immediately after any accidents otherwise the smell alone will put people off.

My OH was responsible enough to give his company a far bit of notice that he would be leaving, therefore enabling a replacement to be found and training to be undertaken. Wow has that ever been a mistake. He told his boss what was going on with the dog and therefore the delay, only to be told that 'I've filled your job'. It was not like he was asking for the job back, but his boss had made huge efforts and verbal offers in the past for him to stay and do some other things, they were consistently trying to persuade him to stay but when it comes to the crunch its tough luck honey!

OH starts as a contractor in 2 weeks. We are attempting to stockpile money to pay for vet bills, replenish the nest egg we had for the move to the UK and try to avoid me having to work parttime and therefore avoid childcare expenses. Oh yeah it turns out that even if we sell our house for asking, we will not be making money on the place........... we were looking at a move back to Calgary as we have family support there, more in our comfort zone etc bu that looks like it won't be possible either. The theory behind it being that if we do have to stay for longer than 6 months then my mental well being is important and staying in Red Deer will not work.

Oh bugger!!!!!! Can things get any worse??????????
Just to say, my thoughts are with you, sending lots of positive vibes
Terese
terese677 is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2007, 12:45 am
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 785
Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Return postponed.........

Tough Call, really Tough.
Howard1944 is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:53 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: An infinite loop between Victoria and London
Posts: 53
grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Return postponed.........

Sorry to hear re. pet problems.

FWIW one of our cats took prednisolone for years, was vaccinated regularly and was declared medically fine to emigrate with us to Australia. Maybe it's worth getting a 2nd vet opinion?

Prednisolone is not good stuff to take long term, though: the bad effects on humans who take it for asthma control are pretty well known. See if you can keep the dog's dosage as low as poss and also set as short as possible period for him having to take it.

Good luck with it all.

G.
grevillia is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:11 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
polarbearmum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 207
polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Return postponed.........

Dog is now on Imuran as his red blood cells were not responding to the Prednisone, in fact they were lower than when he was admitted.

Everything I have read on Evan Syndrome advises against vaccinations if still receiving prednisone, this is from both sides of the Atlantic. We are going to see how he does over the weekend, more blood on Monday.
polarbearmum is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:19 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: An infinite loop between Victoria and London
Posts: 53
grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Return postponed.........

Originally Posted by polarbearmum
Dog is now on Imuran as his red blood cells were not responding to the Prednisone, in fact they were lower than when he was admitted.

Everything I have read on Evan Syndrome advises against vaccinations if still receiving prednisone, this is from both sides of the Atlantic. We are going to see how he does over the weekend, more blood on Monday.
OK, sounds like the Evan Syndrome makes the big difference.

Once again, sorry to hear about the dog and very best of luck with your plans. Fingers X'd for you.

G.
grevillia is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:34 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 87,932
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return postponed.........

Originally Posted by grevillia
Sorry to hear re. pet problems.

FWIW one of our cats took prednisolone for years, was vaccinated regularly and was declared medically fine to emigrate with us to Australia. Maybe it's worth getting a 2nd vet opinion?

Prednisolone is not good stuff to take long term, though: the bad effects on humans who take it for asthma control are pretty well known. See if you can keep the dog's dosage as low as poss and also set as short as possible period for him having to take it.

Good luck with it all.

G.
My dog has something similar...my vet will not give her annual shots. She can only have emergency surgery...at a facility where she can receive a blood transplant.

I am sorry to hear how this has changed your plans. You obviously love your dog very much. Good luck.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2007, 4:28 am
  #8  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,387
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return postponed.........

Oh bugger!!!!!! Can things get any worse??????????
Similar thing happened to us, we were 5 days away from leaving the UK when our dog got hit by a car. All of our tickets were booked including his, I had everything lined up perfectly for him in Canada and then our life was turned upside down by this accident.

He didn't die at the scene, the vet refused to put him down and we were stuck with daily visits until eventually he was diagnosed as blind and brain damaged one day before our flight to Canada and was put to sleep.

Those were the worst 4 days of my life, losing a pet is like losing a member of your family. You have my sincere condolences whatever happens.
Danny B is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:12 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Scout's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,216
Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return postponed.........

I don't understand why you can't go on and travel. You say you are 8 weeks from coming back and the dog is 4 weeks from being ready to travel. It sounds like you are already in compliance with the PETS scheme now.

Surely your dog can fly and then see a vet here in the UK? I know you worry about flying with a sick dog, but you do have 2 months of recovery time for him. If it's any help to ease your worries. My dog is blind, arthritic, has a heart murmor, and is diabetic with constant urinary tract infections. She gets two insulin injections a day and we cleared her to travel. We skipped two injections during her travel time and our Vet did clear her to go because although she does have significant medical problems she was stable enough to fly.

Good luck to you and talk to your vet about the possibility of travel in a couple of months and how stab le your pet will be.
Scout is offline  
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:58 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
polarbearmum's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 207
polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Return postponed.........

Originally Posted by Scout
I don't understand why you can't go on and travel. You say you are 8 weeks from coming back and the dog is 4 weeks from being ready to travel. It sounds like you are already in compliance with the PETS scheme now.

Surely your dog can fly and then see a vet here in the UK? I know you worry about flying with a sick dog, but you do have 2 months of recovery time for him. If it's any help to ease your worries. My dog is blind, arthritic, has a heart murmor, and is diabetic with constant urinary tract infections. She gets two insulin injections a day and we cleared her to travel. We skipped two injections during her travel time and our Vet did clear her to go because although she does have significant medical problems she was stable enough to fly.

Good luck to you and talk to your vet about the possibility of travel in a couple of months and how stab le your pet will be.
No unfortunately we cannot travel. He is drinking constantly as a result of his meds, and therefore peeing like a race horse, soaking puppy pads literally every 15 minutes. Due to the low levels of red blood cells he is very oxygen deprieved to his heart and therefore is panting enormously to try and oxygenate his blood and as a result of this has also developed a heart murmer.

As he is on the prednisone he cannot be treated for heartworm or fleas as required 24-48 hours before his flight, well not unless he makes a spectacular recover between now and Sept 17 and is completely off all his meds - this is entirely unlikely as within the first week of treatment he was still loosing red blood cells. Our vet has advised that increased levels of stress will just make things much worse.

Of course with all the meds he is on he could also experience a thrombosis at any time. I don't any airline or pet travel company would want this responsibility on their hands - would you? I cannot in all right mind get on that plane with him in this condition (although actually we would hope within 2 months a little more improved) knowing the risk that as a result of the stress of travel and being crated for the first time in his life he could not make it...... somethine I am so not willing to try.
polarbearmum is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.