Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Return to Norfolk, UK, 2 weeks time...

Return to Norfolk, UK, 2 weeks time...

Old May 6th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of
Default Return to Norfolk, UK, 2 weeks time...

After lots of umming and ahhing, have decided to rent house not sold yet in NS and return to Norfolk, England, booked flights for 2 weeks time to return indefinately!
Found out from Canadian lawyer that we will be taxed in the UK on our worldwide income so that will include our Canadian house, but as we will be renting property and not buying in UK we may not have much of a tax bill from our Canadian property, and if we sell soon we will not have much tax to pay as we are permanent residents of Canada at the moment and we have not made any profit from our house at the moment.
We have nearly sorted out the rental, and it leaves the door open for return to Canada, as being permanent residents we only have to be resident for 2 years out of 5, so never say never....
How we will feel on the flight back to the UK and when back to reality is anybody's guess, but our hearts are definately in Norfolk, UK, this emigration business has really made us realise just how 'English" we are!
Hubby's sister has come up trumps with somewhere to stay initially, need to get kids back into old schools, realistically we need to stay put for the sake of them, although surely their different life in Canada has been good for their different take on life, to realise that life does not start and end in England!
We will come back next summer, all going well, and see our home as an investment, know tax will have to be paid, but doesn't it always come back and bite you in the ass!!!
Will update on how we get on back in England...
Can just smell those Norfolk Strawberry fields...
Sim
Old May 6th 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

janeymay will become famous soon enoughjaneymay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Return to Norfolk, UK, 2 weeks time...

Originally Posted by sim2point4
After lots of umming and ahhing, have decided to rent house not sold yet in NS and return to Norfolk, England, booked flights for 2 weeks time to return indefinately!
Found out from Canadian lawyer that we will be taxed in the UK on our worldwide income so that will include our Canadian house, but as we will be renting property and not buying in UK we may not have much of a tax bill from our Canadian property, and if we sell soon we will not have much tax to pay as we are permanent residents of Canada at the moment and we have not made any profit from our house at the moment.
We have nearly sorted out the rental, and it leaves the door open for return to Canada, as being permanent residents we only have to be resident for 2 years out of 5, so never say never....
How we will feel on the flight back to the UK and when back to reality is anybody's guess, but our hearts are definately in Norfolk, UK, this emigration business has really made us realise just how 'English" we are!
Hubby's sister has come up trumps with somewhere to stay initially, need to get kids back into old schools, realistically we need to stay put for the sake of them, although surely their different life in Canada has been good for their different take on life, to realise that life does not start and end in England!
We will come back next summer, all going well, and see our home as an investment, know tax will have to be paid, but doesn't it always come back and bite you in the ass!!!
Sim
Hope you dont mind me asking but for what reasons are you moving back to the UK, cos for the love of money do not want to return, we are on twp's at the minute and fast tracking for PR and are so anxious as want this so much. Im not judging just curious everybody's circumstances are different.

Janeymay
Old May 6th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

good luck to you all with your move back.

We have the same scenerio...want to sell up, move after school ends and start up in sept in new schools...We can't sell our house either , in Ontario..but then its only been a month...just patience i guess...

Lucky you to have it sorted so quickly...we are hoping Suffolk area..but still don't know what we'll do once we are off the plane...rental, schooling? ohhhh the worries..
glad you had help on the uk side!!!
Old May 6th 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janeymay
Hope you dont mind me asking but for what reasons are you moving back to the UK, cos for the love of money do not want to return, we are on twp's at the minute and fast tracking for PR and are so anxious as want this so much. Im not judging just curious everybody's circumstances are different.

Janeymay
Mainly work for hubby, he is a fully qualified plumbing & heating engineer, corgi registered, city & guilds advanced plumbing craft, etc, etc, but OMG how different is his working life in Canada, everything is different, health & safety non existent in NS, -25 working conditions in the winter, digging your rear wheel drive plumbing van out of the snow and ice in winter, 2 weeks vacation iso 5 weeks in Uk, the list just goes on and on...
My life is boring compared to the UK, nowhere near enough places to go in NS, the weather sure puts paid to that, the blackfly will be here imminently....
Other than that our Canadian neighbours are very friendly, although our fantastic friends here are UK northeners, what a laugh we have had with them, will definately be exploring northern UK, as from south and lived in East Anglia the past 10 years.
But have opened up pandora's box, and probably will never feel the same again....
Sim
Old May 7th 2009, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Good luck Sim, I have to admit that I miss Norfolk too - there is something very unique about the area! However, having been here for 20 months, I still don't think that I have given NS long enough. I am happy here, but do look back fondly. Maybe with rose tinted glasses. I have been back for a visit and although I loved catching up with friends and family - the small town had changed quite alot. It's definitely not my home anymore. So I will carry on embracing my new life and look forward to my extra long vacation in Norfolk come the summer!! But all the best to you and yours!
Old May 7th 2009, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

janeymay will become famous soon enoughjaneymay will become famous soon enough

Mainly work for hubby, he is a fully qualified plumbing & heating engineer, corgi registered, city & guilds advanced plumbing craft, etc, etc, but OMG how different is his working life in Canada, everything is different, health & safety non existent in NS, -25 working conditions in the winter, digging your rear wheel drive plumbing van out of the snow and ice in winter, 2 weeks vacation iso 5 weeks in Uk, the list just goes on and on...
My life is boring compared to the UK, nowhere near enough places to go in NS, the weather sure puts paid to that, the blackfly will be here imminently....
Other than that our Canadian neighbours are very friendly, although our fantastic friends here are UK northeners, what a laugh we have had with them, will definately be exploring northern UK, as from south and lived in East Anglia the past 10 years.
But have opened up pandora's box, and probably will never feel the same again....
Sim
Thats fair comment, understand your reasons, like i said everybodys circumstances differ, although must admit we love Canada not saying it hasnt got its faults, cos it has, but also think that the UK has nothing to offer us and our children for the future. Good Luck anyway and safe journey HOME.
Janeymay
Old May 9th 2009, 11:25 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck!!! Sounds like you are in a similar situ to what we were in on VI, apart from the weather.....We have now been back for almost 11 mths and are so happy to be back home
Old May 11th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you. This last winter has certainly tested out long term loyalty to Canada. I can certainly relate to your comment about boredom. The weather dictates your every move. Although the seasons are beautiful they are becoming tiresome.

Sim
Old May 12th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

(this is stu-pots other half) Good luck! Just wondered are you renting your house out furnished or unfurnished? Shipping your stuff back for your rental in England?
We have only been here 6 weeks but i am feeling like i made a wrong decision coming here. I know its early days yet, but hubby and kids think its great, i don't!
I don't blame you one bit for going back to England! for you
Old May 12th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

Sim
Best of luck with your move back. We returned from Oz just over 14 months ago, after just over 5 years there and still not settled despite planning our move back over 16 months. You are certainly right about opening the Pandora's Box and I am not sure that we will ever feel the same way again. Still yearn for Oz many days, but really need to try and settle here. You can't help your feelings though.

Kathryn
Old May 12th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Sim
Glad you've found a solution that works for you. Good luck with the move back I've a feeling you won't regret it
Old May 12th 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with your return....

I used to spend a lot of time by the Norfolk coast - North Walsham/ Mundersley/Swafield.....Although I am quite happy in Canada, it is an area of England that I always think of very fondly...

Enjoy being home!!
Lisa
Old May 13th 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stu-pot
(this is stu-pots other half) Good luck! Just wondered are you renting your house out furnished or unfurnished? Shipping your stuff back for your rental in England?
We have only been here 6 weeks but i am feeling like i made a wrong decision coming here. I know its early days yet, but hubby and kids think its great, i don't!
I don't blame you one bit for going back to England! for you
We are renting it out part furnished, there are still a couple of rooms that we have not managed to furnish due to lack of funds.
Sorry to hear you are not settling either, can't really say give it more time as we are going home after only 9 months. To be honest it is more work related for us, hubby has had lots of problems here and has got a good opportunity back in England to be a plumbing lecturer, getting paid whilst doing his teacher training, so it will mean 6 weeks off in the summer, and if the rental goes well we will see it as an investment, and mabey come back for the summer holidays next year, we are not going to beat ourselves up anymore about it not working out here to live permanently, but will try to salvage something from all this by not having to let go completely and getting something good out of the situation.
Thanks for the good wishes, and all the best of luck to you with your decisions about your future in NS, please send me a private message if you want to talk about it, I know I am not the most ideal person for you to talk to at the moment, but I understand what you must be going through...
Sim

Last edited by sim2point4; May 13th 2009 at 12:03 pm.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Been back in Norfolk 6.5 years, after NZ, hubby a plumber too, he found things so very different there, amazing what u get used to. Anyway hope all goes well for you, where in Norfolk are you heading ???
Old May 13th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Good luck to you. I haven't even gone yet, but am already thinking I might stay anyway. I don't have any particular gripe with the UK, as so many expats seem to. Many of the reasons people are citing for wanting to return are the very things that worry me. I'm not sure, at my time of life (50) that I want to make such a huge move only for it to be the wrong thing. Different if I was 30, perhaps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.