Wikiposts

Return addresses

Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:32 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Return addresses

I was just wondering why and how.

In Canada, and the US I think, they can charge you extra postage if you don't put a return address on something. In fact in the US with security issues, it might be illegal.

Here, no one seems to. I only noticed when we got a Christmas card and didn't recognize the names. When I looked for the return address-- not there. When I looked at other envelopes, the same.

Then one of mine came back. I'd left off a number in my sister's new address, but it hadn't just been marked return to sender with an arrow to the return address, probably because the return address was on the back, not front. In North America, it goes in the top left corner.

I suppose because the return address was on the back, someone at the post office had put it in a new envelope, addressed it, and stamped it to get it back to us.

I can't remember how it was done when we left, back in the '70s, but when I was a student I used to work in the sorting office at Christmas and there was a section where they dealt with inadequately addressed mail, and I seem to remember there would usually be return addresses, because if they couldn't complete the address, they'd zing it back.

I think return address on the back is nuts. It's not as if it's going to confuse anyone if it's in the top left corner. But why does no one put a return address at all? Do they not want to get something back if it's undeliverable, so they know it didn't get there?

Can someone explain?

Bev
Old Dec 29th 2009, 2:39 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return addresses

Originally Posted by Bevm
I was just wondering why and how.

In Canada, and the US I think, they can charge you extra postage if you don't put a return address on something. In fact in the US with security issues, it might be illegal.

Here, no one seems to. I only noticed when we got a Christmas card and didn't recognize the names. When I looked for the return address-- not there. When I looked at other envelopes, the same.

Then one of mine came back. I'd left off a number in my sister's new address, but it hadn't just been marked return to sender with an arrow to the return address, probably because the return address was on the back, not front. In North America, it goes in the top left corner.

I suppose because the return address was on the back, someone at the post office had put it in a new envelope, addressed it, and stamped it to get it back to us.

I can't remember how it was done when we left, back in the '70s, but when I was a student I used to work in the sorting office at Christmas and there was a section where they dealt with inadequately addressed mail, and I seem to remember there would usually be return addresses, because if they couldn't complete the address, they'd zing it back.

I think return address on the back is nuts. It's not as if it's going to confuse anyone if it's in the top left corner. But why does no one put a return address at all? Do they not want to get something back if it's undeliverable, so they know it didn't get there?

Can someone explain?

Bev
I can't explain why there's no return address used here, but when I first came back I was writing the return address in the top left corner until someone at the Post Office said it may cause them to deliver it to my address. I now write it on the back like a good little boy.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 3:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I never put return addresses on Christmas cards, I don't want them back
I do put it on bills etc just in case.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Just no tradition/custom of putting return addresses on envelopes in the UK, I think?
Old Dec 30th 2009, 4:36 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to put a return address label on a letter, and took it to a US post office. They would not accept it without a return address. I always think they must have a HUGE dead letter office in the UK. I don't get it either.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK and here in Canada I always put a return address on my post - but I always put it on the back of the envelope.

I've had the odd thing returned to me here in Canada (because I didn't pay enough postage ) - but they worked it out OK

Just don't think it is a tradition in the UK really. If you want to do it Bev, you carry on