Retiring to England

Old Mar 18th 2021, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to England

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Many folks don’t like the fact that when one pays income taxes it is to fund the government’s expenses ongoing and you don’t somehow build up future credits. State pensions are a build up of future credits but that is a separate tax paid through NI contributions.
Originally Posted by robin1234
The way I read that statement, they were referring to British tax paid while living in Britain before moving to Canada. They were in Canada for 15 years, and now retiring. So, paying 30 yrs of tax in Britain, then resident in Canada for 15 yrs, just about brings one to retirement age.
You may be correct and I did consider that which is why I was pointing out that taxes do not accrue for things like healthcare, university subsidies etc.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I see what you mean.
If they started paying tax when they were 20, paid for 30 years in the UK, then 15 in Canada, they must be in their mid 60s.
My mistake. For some reason I had the impression they were much younger than that.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

dean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to behold

If its not a very popular course then a university may treat you as a local student even if you have less than 3 years UK residence- but it is at their discretion and there are no hard and fast rules.. What you have to watch out for is that the Student Loans Company are very strict about only offering loans to those that have been resident in the UK for 3 years