Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Resource for evaluating possessions for shipping home and insurance?

Resource for evaluating possessions for shipping home and insurance?

Old Apr 26th 2017, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

mstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud of
Default Resource for evaluating possessions for shipping home and insurance?

Am curious is anyone has a good resource for estimating value of personal possessions for both TOR requirement and for shipping insurance.
Am overwhelmed just thinking about it.
Hooeing there migt be a good list somewhere based on size of apartment? I have "average" things, no antiques. To try to put a value on everything is staggering.

Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:58 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resource for evaluating possessions for shipping home and insurance?

I had this problem. Specifically, we have thousands of books and I had no idea how to put a valuation on them. At the end of the day, you just have to make an estimate.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

mstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Resource for evaluating possessions for shipping home and insurance?

Gotcha. Yeah, its a tough one. Am just going to scour the internet and hope for the best! There must be some guidelines somewhere, you know, for the average home.
I have a lot of books....but thankfully not thousands!!!
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:11 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I've come across a calculator for 'average' contents, but I can't remember where, so keep looking!
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, don't waste time trying to find a guideline, there basically isn't one.
It's quite simply how much you would need to spend to replace the item, and use that judgement based upon which country you're moving to.
Just remember that the more value you place on something, the more it will cost you in insurance. So just be more careful on the things that really matter, don't over value the junk.
:-)
Old Apr 28th 2017, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Actually there are guidelines all over the internet, and also handy calculators for the purely lazy

https://www.confused.com/home-insura...nts-calculator