British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Resident Return Visa or Australian Citizenship? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/resident-return-visa-australian-citizenship-679324/)

golgo13 Aug 2nd 2010 2:54 am

Resident Return Visa or Australian Citizenship?

Good Morning Everyone,

I have been living away from the UK since 2005. I was in Canada for a year and then the last four have been in Australia between Melbourne and Sydney.

I am currently in the process of setting in place a plan of action to return to the UK 2011/2012.

I have been a permanent resident since 2008 and my main reasons for heading back to the UK are family based and also being at the point where I feel the time is right for a new challenge.

I was wondering if anyone has had to make the decision between getting a resident return visa or holding out for Australia citizenship?

I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in September 2010, however due to my marriage currently being on the rock the emotional aspect is telling me to leave earlier.

However my practical mind is saying it would be better to apply for it since you have gone this far?

Just wandering if anyone has been in a similar situation where they had to decide on either?:confused:

Note: Mods please move if I have placed this in the wrong place!

Basil Brush Aug 2nd 2010 7:17 am

Re: Resident Return Visa or Australian Citizenship?

Definitely wait for the citizenship :)

We applied for ours in late May and received our approval letters by late July. We should have the ceremony by mid-September, so 4 months from start to finish. Knowing how quickly time flies by, I would definitely stay to get the citizenship. Once you have it though you cannot travel on UK passport, so allow another 4 weeks to get an Aussie passport sorted too.

Good Luck with whatever you decide! :thumbup:

ex_exile Aug 2nd 2010 7:43 am

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 8745402)
Good Morning Everyone,

I have been living away from the UK since 2005. I was in Canada for a year and then the last four have been in Australia between Melbourne and Sydney.

I am currently in the process of setting in place a plan of action to return to the UK 2011/2012.

I have been a permanent resident since 2008 and my main reasons for heading back to the UK are family based and also being at the point where I feel the time is right for a new challenge.

I was wondering if anyone has had to make the decision between getting a resident return visa or holding out for Australia citizenship?

I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in September 2010, however due to my marriage currently being on the rock the emotional aspect is telling me to leave earlier.

However my practical mind is saying it would be better to apply for it since you have gone this far?

Just wandering if anyone has been in a similar situation where they had to decide on either?:confused:

Note: Mods plDefinitely if I have placed this in the wrong place!

Definatly citizenship as the RRV rules may change, you would have been eligible before June 30th 2010 any reason you didnt go for it then?

golgo13 Aug 2nd 2010 2:24 pm

I entered Oz Sept 2006 so in about 6 - 7 weeks I should be able to apply. I assumed that if I apply for Aussie citizenship then I can leave Aussie with Aussie passport and enter uk with british passport?

The_English_Bride Aug 2nd 2010 5:49 pm

If you can apply in 6-7 weeks, I'd say get the citizenship - I know I would! I'm in a similar situation here in the US. I have been here since 2005 and desperately want to go home, but I've been unsure what to do about my citizenship. If I leave without it, I'm pretty much done with my residency, so I'd become a non-immigrant again. Unfortuantely, I'm not eligible to apply for another year. If I could apply now, or very soon, there would be no doubt - I'd wait and get it!:thumbup:

Pollyana Aug 4th 2010 5:19 am

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 8746883)
I entered Oz Sept 2006 so in about 6 - 7 weeks I should be able to apply. I assumed that if I apply for Aussie citizenship then I can leave Aussie with Aussie passport and enter uk with british passport?

Once you have been granted citizenship and got your Aussie passport, yes, you can do just that. :)

Basil Brush Aug 4th 2010 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Basil Brush (Post 8745865)
Definitely wait for the citizenship :)

We applied for ours in late May and received our approval letters by late July. We should have the ceremony by mid-September, so 4 months from start to finish. Knowing how quickly time flies by, I would definitely stay to get the citizenship. Once you have it though you cannot travel on UK passport, so allow another 4 weeks to get an Aussie passport sorted too.

Good Luck with whatever you decide! :thumbup:

I have just found out that our citizenship ceremony is 5 weeks from today :D It's almost 9 years to the day since we arrived in Aus!!! Talk about dragging our heels!

Did you decide whether you will stay to get citizenship?

golgo13 Aug 4th 2010 4:26 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been the UK for the last few days on a two week holiday and I will be going for the citizenship since then it would feel like I have gone full circle. I think at that point then I will feel ready to head back to the UK permanently. I have really enjoyed being back home for a bit though, of my two previous visits back in 2008 and 2009, this visit is one feels like a decision to move is coming sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

CPW Aug 5th 2010 2:38 pm

Given how close it is until you are eligible to apply for Australian citizenship, I'd say do that. A resident return visa is not valid indefinitely, and you never know when the rules about visas might change anyway.

Originally Posted by Basil Brush (Post 8745865)
Knowing how quickly time flies by, I would definitely stay to get the citizenship. Once you have it though you cannot travel on UK passport, so allow another 4 weeks to get an Aussie passport sorted too.

Just to clarify: once you're an Australian citizen, you must have an Australian passport to leave and enter Australia. You can still use your British passport (or any other passport that you may legally hold) elsewhere on your travels. :)

LINZI Aug 5th 2010 11:05 pm

Like everyone said i would hold out for citizenship if you have come this far :thumbsup:

MartinAnt Aug 10th 2010 5:34 am

I understand that you must have lived in Australia for at least two years out of any five year period, so if you left for more than three years you'd have to re-apply, and unless you can demonstrate an enduring close connection with Australia you may not get back in.

golgo13 Aug 12th 2010 12:43 pm

Most of my trips out of Australian have never been more that three weeks per year so I dont forsee any issue when applying, however prior to applying will give DIMA a call to confirm...

Just a question what kind of things do you have to provide evence wish alongside the citizenship test?

Pollyana Aug 12th 2010 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 8772055)
Most of my trips out of Australian have never been more that three weeks per year so I dont forsee any issue when applying, however prior to applying will give DIMA a call to confirm...

Just a question what kind of things do you have to provide evence wish alongside the citizenship test?

Everything you need to know :)

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

JAJ Aug 12th 2010 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by golgo13 (Post 8772055)

They don't do personal consultancy and the helpline is wrong as often as it is right, from reading accounts on forums like this. So what's your plan if you get wrong advice, who are you going to believe? Everything you need to know is at http://www.citizenship.gov.au