Reload this Page >

Residency questions and related

Residency questions and related

Old May 10th 2018, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

boingboing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency questions and related

Hi,

I have had to bring forward my return to the UK and secure a Settlement Visa for my Thai wife in the coming months.

I have 4 questions.
  1. NI payments. Currently I am paying Class 2. If I come back say in October this year are there any ways to maintain or make voluntary payments so that I have another qualifying year for the state pension? Not sure how partial payments in a tax year are treated.
  2. Am I immediately considered resident the moment I re-settle on UK soil or is there a set period of time?
  3. Related to question 2, am I immediately entitled to NHS treatment or again is there a set time period?
  4. I have a property to sell in Thailand. I know that it is exempt UK capital gains tax if sold before becoming resident but if not then CGT will kick in. I know also that the rate is 18% but how would they calculate the gain based on a foreign currency. Would they use both the exchange rate when bought and the exchange rate when sold?
Hope someone can answer these questions for me. Thanks.
Old May 10th 2018, 3:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency questions and related

Originally Posted by boingboing
Hi,

I have had to bring forward my return to the UK and secure a Settlement Visa for my Thai wife in the coming months.

I have 4 questions.
  1. NI payments. Currently I am paying Class 2. If I come back say in October this year are there any ways to maintain or make voluntary payments so that I have another qualifying year for the state pension? Not sure how partial payments in a tax year are treated.
  2. Am I immediately considered resident the moment I re-settle on UK soil or is there a set period of time?
  3. Related to question 2, am I immediately entitled to NHS treatment or again is there a set time period?
  4. I have a property to sell in Thailand. I know that it is exempt UK capital gains tax if sold before becoming resident but if not then CGT will kick in. I know also that the rate is 18% but how would they calculate the gain based on a foreign currency. Would they use both the exchange rate when bought and the exchange rate when sold?
Well at least I can answer some

2. Yes, immediately you set foot.
3. Yes, immediately you are living in the UK you are eligible from day one, just get registered with you local GP.
Old May 10th 2018, 3:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency questions and related

Originally Posted by boingboing
Hi,

I have 4 questions.
1. Will you be working/self-employed/retired?
2. If you're a Brit Cit, then yes. Some benefits might be unavailable in the first 3 months, but...
3. NHS is available (as a returning citizen) from day one. You'll need to register with a GP and provide some sort of address.
4. Usually (I know nothing of Thailand) you'll only be subject to CGT if the value of the property has increased between the date of return and the date of sale (exchange rates accounted) and only the increase in value will be subject..