Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Resentment from Family/Friends For Moving ?

Resentment from Family/Friends For Moving ?

Old Mar 19th 2018, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Resentment from Family/Friends For Moving ?

Wondering what everyone's experiences were on this ? With my flight back to Glasgow departing in a few days, I've found that while most of my family and friends have been very positive and supportive - others have been the complete opposite.

My mum has by far been the worst, she came to Canada (the first time) before I was born and subsequently went back twice (once with me) before she decided she wanted nothing to do with the UK again - due to multiple family tragedies.

Ever since its become obvious to her that I'm going, accepting a job offer signing a lease and packing my stuff - she has become very hostile about everything. At one point telling me I'm dismantling her life and being selfish for settling in the UK. She also fears that something bad is going to happen to me because of my uncanny resemblance to her late brother who was killed in a car crash.

Both my brother and sister understand where I'm coming from (my brother even frequently travels to ROI for work and she seems to have no issue with this)

The friends I'm not so concerned about, the relationships have somewhat eroded over time but how my mum feels is obviously a big worry. I have no intentions of changing my plans but I do feel somewhat guilty that I might be tormenting he.r

On that note I must continue to pack, appreciate any thoughts/experiences on the topic !
Old Mar 19th 2018, 1:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resentment from Family/Friends For Moving ?

She's putting a guilt trip on you, ignore it. She moved overseas, presumably her parents were upset about it and now you're doing the same, that's life. Your life is now going to be lived in the UK. She brought you up to have a mind of your own, you're exercising that and she needs to deal with it. She sounds a bit of a drama queen - everything is about her. I had a mother like that, I just had to remind myself that it was nothing about her and everything about me and what I needed. She got over it, I'm sure yours will too. Good luck with the new life and job.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some quotes from a notebook that I keep. Best wishes to you.

“I will not let anyone reduce the best of me.”

“I am not here to win anyone’s approval. I don’t need to convince anyone of my reasons, my direction.”

“I will not let anyone’s behavior change who I am.”

“Emotional warfare - they play on your guilt.”

“Speak the truth - even if your voice shakes.”
Old Mar 19th 2018, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
She's putting a guilt trip on you, ignore it. She moved overseas, presumably her parents were upset about it and now you're doing the same, that's life. Your life is now going to be lived in the UK. She brought you up to have a mind of your own, you're exercising that and she needs to deal with it. She sounds a bit of a drama queen - everything is about her. I had a mother like that, I just had to remind myself that it was nothing about her and everything about me and what I needed. She got over it, I'm sure yours will too. Good luck with the new life and job.
Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona

“I am not here to win anyone’s approval. I don’t need to convince anyone of my reasons, my direction.”

's
Old Mar 19th 2018, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona

Cheers for the replies, she has actually said before "I did the same thing to my mum so I guess it's karma". Which I suppose is a kind of backhanded way of acknowledging that she is overreacting.

I'm definitely looking forward to the new start, I didn't think I'd be able to pull it off in such a short amount of time - and have a job to walk into when I land. But having such negativity directed towards me it did put a brief damper on things.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Freshwhyte - wishing you a safe flight and a joyful arrival in Scotland.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with it all. I certainly faced hostility from my father, once we announced we were moving but that was more to do with age and the fact that we are leaving at a point in his life, when he assumed he would have at least one of his children around to support him (he is widowed). My brother who has been o/s for many years now doesn't get the same guilt trip from him, which I find hard. I still feel very upset about it all -- our move is causing him a lot of grief and while a lot of friends said he just needs to move on, I also found a bit harsh. Issues around this all made our departure much more draining and emotional ... and lingered for a few weeks. Now it's more of a reality and everyone is working to make it work as well as possible. P.S Announcing we were leaving was interesting - some people were great, others didn't say a word and others seemed jealous.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by prospect
Good luck with it all. I certainly faced hostility from my father, once we announced we were moving but that was more to do with age and the fact that we are leaving at a point in his life, when he assumed he would have at least one of his children around to support him (he is widowed). My brother who has been o/s for many years now doesn't get the same guilt trip from him, which I find hard. I still feel very upset about it all -- our move is causing him a lot of grief and while a lot of friends said he just needs to move on, I also found a bit harsh. Issues around this all made our departure much more draining and emotional ... and lingered for a few weeks. Now it's more of a reality and everyone is working to make it work as well as possible. P.S Announcing we were leaving was interesting - some people were great, others didn't say a word and others seemed jealous.
I've definitely felt jealousy from some of my friends, this isn't the best area to live in (very high unemployment, high cost of living, most of them are very negative and miserable about their futures) while others have been very encouraging and enthusiastic. I guess in situations like this you realize who your true friends are.

I'm the type that likes to say a proper goodbye to people in my life, take them for meals or go for a pint. Many agreed, but as time goes on it was quite a shock how many couldn't find the time and cancelled last minute. Just makes me more eager to have that fresh start.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Many people refuse to contemplate the very idea that there might be a life beyond the horizon. Leave them and move on to whatever the other life holds.

When in doubt, follow the advice given in a Country song !
Old Mar 21st 2018, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
Many people refuse to contemplate the very idea that there might be a life beyond the horizon. Leave them and move on to whatever the other life holds.

When in doubt, follow the advice given in a Country song !

I kept getting told "the grass is always greener on the other side"

except in Scotland it LITERALLY is
Old Mar 21st 2018, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The grass is green ? Yes.That is because it rains every day
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 8:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always thought that at least some people see your wanting to change your life as an implied criticism and rejection of their way of life and that this is what angers them.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 10:38 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alianco
I've always thought that at least some people see your wanting to change your life as an implied criticism and rejection of their way of life and that this is what angers them.
That's a really good insight

Freshwhyte, whatever your mum's reasons are for reacting like this to your move, just remember that they're her emotions and she is the only one responsible for managing those emotions.

If we lived our lives according to what everyone else thought of our choices, we'd be constantly pulled hundreds of different ways and would be unable to make any decisions at all for ourselves.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do what is best for you as in the end they will all be dead and you have to live with the consequences of the decisions you make now for the rest of your life.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 7:46 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
Do what is best for you as in the end they will all be dead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.