Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Requirements for returning to the UK with a non-citizen spouse?

Requirements for returning to the UK with a non-citizen spouse?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

aroncox is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Requirements for returning to the UK with a non-citizen spouse?

I have lived the past 10 years in Canada and am a British citizen, I wish to return to the UK as the job opportunities here in Canada (at least in Vancouver) are not what I would like them to be (I am a computer programmer). I currently have a Japanese fiancee and we will marry soon(ish), she has already applied for Canadian citizenship, and we'll probably wait for that to go through before leaving in case we ever want to return.

Can anyone clarify the following issues for me:

1. If I return I will have to look for a job upon arriving, so it sounds like I am expected to have a certain amount of money in the bank. Any idea how much is required in UK pounds?

2. We will stay with my Mum in the UK until I find a job. She doesn't own a home and lives in a council flat. Does that matter at all, or should I stay with my sister who owns a home, as I believe I have to prove to immigration that we have somewhere to stay?

3. When should I start applying for the relevant visas, how long does the process take, and once we have been approved (I hope) how long usually do we have to leave here and enter the UK?

4. Is it recommended to use an immigration lawyer/service to help us, would that make acceptance more likely?

5. As a British citizen can I claim any welfare etc. while I'm looking for a job, or is there a certain waiting period upon entering the country?

Thanks a lot for your help, it seems like there's a lot of good information on this message board I'm glad I found it.

Aron.

Last edited by aroncox; Jan 2nd 2004 at 6:05 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 5:36 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can say is that you need that cash and probably way more than what immigration require especially if you are going to the SE where the jobs are. If you are entitled to the dole you will be find it is a measly amount.

Good luck.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:04 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going to UK

Don't use a lawyer as you can easily sort out the visa yourself. It's just a (admittedly long) form to fill out. I'd guess that if you're going with no job, a couple of thousand UKP would be prefereable, shown on a current bank statement. Staying with your mum is OK, it doesn't matter that it's council property. The essentials are that you have a letter from her giving permission for you to stay and confirming that you'll have your own room, and proof that she is the tennant (rent agreement, letter about rent etc).
In the USA you can get the visa on a same day basis if you go to one of the three British Consulates that issue them. i'm sure it's the same sort of scenario in Canada. If you apply by post it takes around 5 days, the turnaround is quite quick.
I suggest you look on the website www.ukvisas.ind.gov.uk
PS Don't think you can claim any benefits as a returning resident, and your wife cannot claim anything until she has Indefinite Leave to Remain (after 2 years). If you have been married over 4 years, ask for ILR to be given immediately, you can skip the conditional visa.

Last edited by MrsLondon; Jan 3rd 2004 at 9:07 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

aroncox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going to UK

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Don't use a lawyer as you can easily sort out the visa yourself. It's just a (admittedly long) form to fill out. I'd guess that if you're going with no job, a couple of thousand UKP would be prefereable, shown on a current bank statement. Staying with your mum is OK, it doesn't matter that it's council property. The essentials are that you have a letter from her giving permission for you to stay and confirming that you'll have your own room, and proof that she is the tennant (rent agreement, letter about rent etc).
In the USA you can get the visa on a same day basis if you go to one of the three British Consulates that issue them. i'm sure it's the same sort of scenario in Canada. If you apply by post it takes around 5 days, the turnaround is quite quick.
I suggest you look on the website www.ukvisas.ind.gov.uk
PS Don't think you can claim any benefits as a returning resident, and your wife cannot claim anything until she has Indefinite Leave to Remain (after 2 years). If you have been married over 4 years, ask for ILR to be given immediately, you can skip the conditional visa.
Thanks for the info, very useful!