Wikiposts

Renting UK. Pros and Cons

Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:45 am
Just Joined

anniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really nice
Post Renting UK. Pros and Cons

Am possibly in danger of starting new thread that has been covered in past but feeling quite panicky about impending move back to UK.
Have booked my flight for 30th May returning from Greece after 10years here....final decision.
Looking to rent a property Manchester/Cheshire to be fairly close to daughter with 2 small children to give her future support (she works as a nurse) but not to live on her doorstep.
I am 64 years old receiving state pension and small occupational pension but no savings to speak of. In fairly good health with only age-related problems like that expression.... and I've looked at Housing Association and Private rental options.
Any advice on which would be best bearing in mind what (if any) benefits I can apply for.
I have a UK bank account and have kept in touch with HMRC over tax etc but have recently been told that I can't apply for any help until I have been back in the UK for 6 months. Renting privately for that length of time will wipe out any savings and more.
Have more queries but don't want to bore everyone. ANY advice at all very very welcome. Guess my situation not as complicated as some but still giving me sleepless nights.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:55 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting UK. Pros and Cons

Firstly, good luck with your venture, you are very brave.

I am familiar with the area you are talking about. Where does your daughter live? how much do you think you might be able to afford per month? would you mind sharing with someone in order to reduce costs? will you have a car and/or do you need to be near public transport?

It will be easier to answer your questions once I know this info.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:15 am
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Don't think you have to be resident for six months before you can make a claim.

Do think that you have to be resident however with no intention of residing outside of UK.

Check out Direct Gov on line. There's a wealth of information there for returnees.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:40 am
Just Joined

anniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really niceanniewilson10 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Firstly, good luck with your venture, you are very brave.

I am familiar with the area you are talking about. Where does your daughter live? how much do you think you might be able to afford per month? would you mind sharing with someone in order to reduce costs? will you have a car and/or do you need to be near public transport?

It will be easier to answer your questions once I know this info.
Thanks Victor...daughter in Bramhall. I really don't know how much I can afford per month....so much depends on whether I can get any help from the Govt. Can get a car but to cut costs public transport would be better. Don't want to share at my age!! I'm quite a private person that way.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wub
Don't think you have to be resident for six months before you can make a claim.

Do think that you have to be resident however with no intention of residing outside of UK.

Check out Direct Gov on line. There's a wealth of information there for returnees.
Thanks Wub...am inundated with paperwork. Direct Gov is great but really don't know whether to rent privately or try for a Housing Association (they make me feel old)...well older than I am
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:04 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anniewilson10
Thanks Victor...daughter in Bramhall. I really don't know how much I can afford per month....so much depends on whether I can get any help from the Govt. Can get a car but to cut costs public transport would be better. Don't want to share at my age!! I'm quite a private person that way.
Bramhall is quite posh isn't it? you might find rentals are quite expensive around there.

www.spareroom.co.uk has rooms for rent in private houses. Some are live in landlords, there are varying sizes of houses with varying rental costs.

It might sound a bit like student rental, but it's not necessarily. I rent out 2 of my rooms in my house while I am away. Others have self contained areas for renters. You put in your details (where you want to live, costs etc) and then they email you with suitable places.

If you check the areas you might be looking at on www.rightmove.co.uk (they have rentals too) each house will tell you where the nearest train stations are. I would advise living in at least a suburban type area rather than rural as facilities and transport will be more convenient.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:24 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully your daughter can put you up for a few weeks while you get everything sorted out. Seeing you'll be a support for her later.
That way you can visit the estate agents and look at property yourself and see if it'll suit you.
Good luck with your return
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyfletch89 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey i think im in the same boat as you! Im moving back to Cheadle with my girlfriend from Australia. My parents live here and we came out here left a flat and jobs to see whats its like here, but not our cup of tea unfortunately!

So we're abit panicky because my family live in australia, my girlfriends family have moved away up north and in wales but where we have grown up is Cheadle/Manchester and we totally want to move back there, friends etc.

Trying to find a fully furnished flat, looking at about £500 a month in the areas of cheadle, gatley, didsbury, manchester city centre and stockport town centre. Just i doubt you can organise renting a flat all the way over here, so looks like we will be forking out on living in a travelodge for a week and hopefully get it all sorted within that time.

I have managed to get my old job back at John Lewis (kept in touch with the managers etc there!) so that can show the real estates etc that i have an income, just does anybody have any advice? plan of action that may be some use to me?

good luck though

thanks in advance

jonny
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Johnny...it's a bit of a nightmare trying to do everything from a distance.
I googled "nice areas to live Manchester/Cheshire" to start with and have found loads of affordable properties.

I've decided to shortlist properties in that area, contact the agents with my situation and see if renting can be done by proxy (have been told it can) but wait to see!!

I won't ask my daughter with 2 small babies and a full-time job to do more than recommend (or not) the areas I have chosen and check out just a few for me. Sleeping on her couch for more than one night not an option!

Guess if I'm not happy with what I get then can start looking for myself after 6 months.

Well done on getting a job especially with my favourite store!! but you probably on a tighter timescale than me so does look like a travelodge is best option or maybe a small B & B would be cheaper ( or any good long-suffering friends)?

Good luck and keep in touch with progress. I'll be interested to hear your news.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:51 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a single mum with a full time job and two small kids I'd love to have you stay a while if you'd cook, clean, do laundry and occasional babysitting. You might find it hard to get away!

You will find it much easier to find a place when you're here, because good places go quickly and landlords aren't too keen on taking people sight-unseen.

As an over 60 you'll get the bus pass, so you can probably do without a car, especially if you find a place to live that's close to suitable bus routes.

Bev
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bev

Space very much a premium though probably my future role will be as you say

Agree about renting unseen. Will test waters though. Worth a try.

Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anniewilson10
Hi Johnny...it's a bit of a nightmare trying to do everything from a distance.
I googled "nice areas to live Manchester/Cheshire" to start with and have found loads of affordable properties.

I've decided to shortlist properties in that area, contact the agents with my situation and see if renting can be done by proxy (have been told it can) but wait to see!!

I won't ask my daughter with 2 small babies and a full-time job to do more than recommend (or not) the areas I have chosen and check out just a few for me. Sleeping on her couch for more than one night not an option!

Guess if I'm not happy with what I get then can start looking for myself after 6 months.

Well done on getting a job especially with my favourite store!! but you probably on a tighter timescale than me so does look like a travelodge is best option or maybe a small B & B would be cheaper ( or any good long-suffering friends)?

Good luck and keep in touch with progress. I'll be interested to hear your news.
what does proxy mean? ive tried contacting a few, but most of them just tell me that i would need a guarantor, a work reference that shows that your in a permanent job. bit annoying because i get the job when i arrive and go see my old manager! and guarantor my family live here in aus and my girlfriends live around england. Do you know any other ways of possibly getting a flat?

if you ever come in be sure to mention me then! thanks
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

expatdon is an unknown quantity at this point

You will get a lot of red tape going through estate agents, credit checks, guarantors etc. Once you have established the area, you could try gumtree (Google it) you will find a lot of private landlords on there and many will not bother with the finer clerical details.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

I guess I feel like i got lucky then. I am landing back in manchester in 2 weeks. I have managed to get pre-approved for a 6 mths contract on a 3 bedroom home. I had managed all of this from Canada, I had a family member over there walk thru the place and be my eyes-they even sent pics. Basically - i land and pick up the keys that day.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by reeni
I guess I feel like i got lucky then. I am landing back in manchester in 2 weeks. I have managed to get pre-approved for a 6 mths contract on a 3 bedroom home. I had managed all of this from Canada, I had a family member over there walk thru the place and be my eyes-they even sent pics. Basically - i land and pick up the keys that day.
you did really good then! did you just simply ring them up telling them about your scenario? which real estate was it? im back in 4 weeks wanting to do the same thing, land and pick up the keys! if you find any 1 bedroom fully furnished flats around the cheadle manchester area be sure to let me know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.