Renting in the UK

Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future
Default Renting in the UK

We're tossing around all sorts of possibilities about the timing of our return to the UK currently & one possible scenario is that my daughter & I come across in August , I rent a small house/flat for 6 months or so then head back to Oz for a couple of months while she starts boarding school in September. My husband would come across in late September & start looking for employment while I stay here in Oz & see my son through his final school exams. We'll then all head home in early December.

It'll be a lot of coming & going & there may possibly be 6- 8 weeks when the flat is standing empty. We're keen to have an address in the UK prior to 1st September though as this may help our daughter to be assessed as a "Home" student for university fees down the track (there's another thread on this issue).

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to rent a property in the UK when :

a) you aren't employed there
b) all recent credit history is overseas
c)only the wife is in the country but you want both names on the lease

We'd be happy to pay for a 6 month rental on somewhere modest up front if this would facilitate things - though obviously would rather not. We own our house here in Australia if that makes any difference ?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

chrrissss will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renting in the UK

Hi ya we came back from Western Australia at the end of May we had a lot of trouble main reason being because we had pets though.
We are in Braintree,Essex we found because they could not check my husbands work history and we had nobody we could use for a guarantor that we had to pay 6 months rent up front there was no way around it.
I should imagine that different real estate agents have different rules though.
They can still do a credit check on you its just an international one,not sure about the lease bit though i would imagine he would have to be here for that.
As long as you have the money to pay up front and your credit checks are fine i can not see why it would be a problem.
Look on Rightmoves .com i think thats it anyway probably the best site you will find.

Good Luck
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:57 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss piggy
We're tossing around all sorts of possibilities about the timing of our return to the UK currently & one possible scenario is that my daughter & I come across in August , I rent a small house/flat for 6 months or so then head back to Oz for a couple of months while she starts boarding school in September. My husband would come across in late September & start looking for employment while I stay here in Oz & see my son through his final school exams. We'll then all head home in early December.

It'll be a lot of coming & going & there may possibly be 6- 8 weeks when the flat is standing empty. We're keen to have an address in the UK prior to 1st September though as this may help our daughter to be assessed as a "Home" student for university fees down the track (there's another thread on this issue).

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to rent a property in the UK when :

a) you aren't employed there
b) all recent credit history is overseas
c)only the wife is in the country but you want both names on the lease

We'd be happy to pay for a 6 month rental on somewhere modest up front if this would facilitate things - though obviously would rather not. We own our house here in Australia if that makes any difference ?
When I rented our place now my husband was still in Australia. I had to put him in as a resident of the house or something like that. They wouldn't let me put him as a fellow leasee. I also had to get my parents (who live in UK) to go guarantor for the rent. I did have a job when I signed the lease but even though they did check up on it they seemed more interested in the parents guarantor business then my employment.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:15 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Hmm! This is interesting. The question of renting a place having been overseas has been discussed before on previous threads, but this is different about not being employed and credit check.

We shall both be in UK looking for somewhere - preferably furnished flat/small home. They can do a credit check on us for overseas but we shall not be employed at that point and would not be able to pay 6 months rent up front. The only person we might have as a guarantor would be my cousin, but I would have to check on that.

We shall contacting some Agents nearer the time (end of the year) so it will be interesting to see what they require.

Perhaps anybody who has already gone through this can comment what their experience was.