Reload this Page >

Renting a house - the challenges

Wikiposts

Renting a house - the challenges

Old Jul 20th 2013, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

WolfieThai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting a house - the challenges

So I've been scouring the Internet trying to find rental houses in Nottingham area.

I'm finding it extremely difficult to find properties that will allow pets (I have one dog, a German shepherd) and when I do find places that say they allow pets, the paperwork is astonishing!! One rental agent wanted a shopping list of about 10-12 items including my original NI card, employment details, 6mths of salary slips, bank statements, 3 character references, 1 landlord reference and previous rental contracts... Per tenant.

I emailed them to explain I'm an ex-pat returning to the UK after 12 years away, my wife is Thai and I will be unemployed to start with and seeking employment on my arrival. I offered to pay the full rent in a lump sum at the start of the contract including fees and even offered additional security deposit for the pet/dog... But that was not acceptable to them!

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing, or perhaps has advice on how to overcome this final hurdle? If anyone has used agents either locally or nationwide and had an easier time of things, please pass on their details.

As it stands right now, I'm running low on options and may even have to resort to starting proceedings to purchase a house (including finding said house) and try to get things completed/signed as quickly as possible, my dog is booked to fly to the UK at the end of September/beginning of October, so whilst I have a little time to overcome this it is starting to be a worry...

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 3:26 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a house - the challenges

Sorry it's all got a bit silly trying to find a rental to include your dog in Britain.

Dog owners are galled by the fact that children potentially create more damage than a dog in rented accommodation.

Anyway, would you consider putting your dog into kennels for a couple of weeks on arrival until you find somewhere. I imagine talking to the letting agent or landlord might be more fruitful face to face.

If we ever return to Britain from NZ we will probably have our cat with his pet passport in order.

I'm hoping that our cat can stop with my Dad initially if we can't find a rental that accepts pets.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

WolfieThai is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got the pooch in a kennel in Thailand (actually its a dog training school that we have an excellent relationship with) I figured its cheaper to do that than to kennel him in the UK. I think I pay something in the region of £100-150 pcm plus food costs.

I fly back Wednesday next week, my wife follows me a month later and the dog comes the month after that (2months after I first arrive) I figured that would give me enough time to find something... Hopefully the difficulties I am having are purely down to the face I'm not there face-to-face with them.

I could delay the dog another month if I have to, but I miss him already (he's been at the kennel 2 days so far lol) so I would be keen to get him in on the arranged date... Guess I have to hit the ground running when I arrive, I've got a car sorted already, so I can get around and view places straight away... I already have some house viewings arranged, but for purchase not rental for the day after I land...

Thanks for your reply
Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:18 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome. I hope it all slots into place for you all.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! I agree, face to face should be a lot easier. It's easy to find *a* rental with pets, but not a *good* one - that takes some hunting. Took me 3 months, and yes, I had to provide double deposit and a pound of flesh, and that's for one small disney dog

You might have more luck with private rentals - try gumtree.com
Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:24 am
BE Newbie

Back2Blighty is an unknown quantity at this point

Just letting you know my experience, moved back from Canada with my daughter and my cat. Most landlords don't want to take pets of any kind. I was extremely lucky in that my best friend sourced and talked to our landlord prior to us leaving Canada but I had to put up 6 months rent upfront as I am currently unemployed. I invited him to come round after we had been in a month to check that he was happy with the condition of the flat, since then not had a problem with him accepting the cat. As previous posters have stated a face-to-face meeting can help.

Good luck
Old Jul 21st 2013, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

And what happens if after you pay the $2000 something to get your dog there, you can't find a home to live in? A whole new worry.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
And what happens if after you pay the $2000 something to get your dog there, you can't find a home to live in? A whole new worry.
Don't panic, it's easy enough to find somewhere, it's just that I'm fussy and wanted somewhere really nice - I've done my time living in s**tholes

A friend of a friend saw a house he really wanted to rent - no dogs it said, he had three large ones. He took them with him to meet the owners, sat them down in a row and said "they don't move until I tell them to". He got the house
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Some landlords automatically put no pets without really thinking much about it. So it maybe worth asking the letting agents to speak to the landlord direct even if the place is advertised no pets.

That's what happened when I came the other way to the US. The place we are in now said no pets until we asked.