Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Renting in the countryside

Renting in the countryside

Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:27 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting in the countryside

I am looking at renting a five bed house in a rural location in the South West. Does £1650 a month sound ridiculous to you? I have the chance of getting this house but I am worried that I am being fleeced, having been away for so long. It is renting through a local well established agent. They also want £5,000 deposit . Surely there must be a limit on what can be asked for the deposit? That does seem awfully high.

I have had people look at houses around the £1000 to £1250 range in the area and frankly I would choke before handing over that much money for a semi-detached box on the back end of an estate. If paying a couple of hundred extra per month gets me rural at the going rate, then I guess I will have to suck it up.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in the countryside

Not sure about the South West - I can only speak for the South East, but I would hope it would be cheaper going west ...

We paid £1400 for a a 4 bed semi - albeit a very nice semi - but it was pretty small - when we rented before we moved earlier this year - and I knocked them down from £1600 for that !

Anything detached will be pricy I suspect, be it rural or not. £1650 sounds a lot but for five beds I wouldn't say it is outrageous. Again, in the SE, I suspect £2000-£2400 could be the norm. Scary stuff indeed

Happy hunting
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:05 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingbat
I am looking at renting a five bed house in a rural location in the South West. Does £1650 a month sound ridiculous to you? I have the chance of getting this house but I am worried that I am being fleeced, having been away for so long. It is renting through a local well established agent. They also want £5,000 deposit . Surely there must be a limit on what can be asked for the deposit? That does seem awfully high.

I have had people look at houses around the £1000 to £1250 range in the area and frankly I would choke before handing over that much money for a semi-detached box on the back end of an estate. If paying a couple of hundred extra per month gets me rural at the going rate, then I guess I will have to suck it up.

Any thoughts?

The rent sounds about right for a 5 bedroom rural location in the SW. The prices are shocking around that part of the UK as we were looking at Devon/Dorset but have now decided that when we do go home it will be to our old area which is just as expensive as the SW. A 6 bedroom house is up for rent for 2000 pounds a month.

The deposit sounds like one months bond plus 2 months rent up front which comes to just under 5000 pounds- they must have rounded it up - and yes they can ask for that amount. Agents can ask for 6 mths rent up front but personally I would never ever pay that. As I've said before on here don't forget in the UK council tax and water rates aren't usually included in the rent (unless specified in the lease so check first before you get hammered with a massive bill you didn't expect) and on a 5 bedroom house the council tax won't be cheap.

If the agent is reputable you are half way there as there are some real sharks out there.

Good luck

Last edited by crystal23; Oct 28th 2007 at 12:07 am.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:35 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much. I guess that is what I am going to have to pay...
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:45 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Blimey! Whereabouts in the SW? We were paying £700 p/m for a 3-bed place in a semi-rural area.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Blimey! Whereabouts in the SW? We were paying £700 p/m for a 3-bed place in a semi-rural area.
The trouble is the size of the property & generally you will be looking at higher end of market when it comes to 5 beds. That rent does not seem too outrageous for a property that size, sorry!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:11 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Register on http://www.upmystreet.com and do a post code search to check for average rent prices.

It's a very useful website, has info on Schools, crime etc.