Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Renting a car in England; HELP!!!

Wikiposts

Renting a car in England; HELP!!!

Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:58 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a car in England; HELP!!!

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
They told me the same thing when I last rented, because they do not cover 3rd party liability but I as I said early by law UK rental have to include 3rd party coverage.
But why would I need the extra $25 coverage from Amex, if I already paid with an Amex card?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The last time I rented a car from Hertz I had a puncture...what a farce that was. Puncture about 11 am...husband couldn't change the wheel because it had locking wheel nuts and no key. After a couple of hours someone came out to change the wheel...again no key to unlock the wheel nuts even though we stressed this was the problem. In the end we had to get a tow to Manchester Airport...about 20 miles away. It was 7pm before we left the airport with a replaclement car. It was our last day in the UK and it was wasted because of their crap service.
Mine started right at the counter, first they couldn't find my reservation, then charged me a location fee that was listed as being included on the website, then sent me to collection area where I was met by someone and told to wait until,he came back with the car, he was gone forever. Finally, the car had not been cleaned properly from the previous renter. Every time we have rented from Alamo the car has been detailed before it was given to us. Like I said lesson learned.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
But why would I need the extra $25 coverage from Amex, if I already paid with an Amex card?
In the US you would not have to procees your claim via your insurance at all. In the US & UK it provide coverage (medical & death) to you and your passengers.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Mine started right at the counter, first they couldn't find my reservation, then charged me a location fee that was listed as being included on the website, then sent me to collection area where I was met by someone and told to wait until,he came back with the car, he was gone forever. Finally, the car had not been cleaned properly from the previous renter. Every time we have rented from Alamo the car has been detailed before it was given to us. Like I said lesson learned.
My problems also began at the counter. . I had a 45 min wait before I even got to the desk. I had ordered an auto compact....what they gave me was a sports car. I said I didn't want it and was told it was the only auto available. The body work was damaged in several places...and I don't mean scratches or dings...looked like something had hit it.

My husband has used Hertz hundreds of times and has never had a problem.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

This is all really helpful, thanks to all! Especially useful to know that by law UK rentals have to include 3rd party coverage, I didn't know that difference, thanks, Ash UK/US..

I will still be renting, but changed plans somewhat. I realise that in north Norfolk (Sheringham, Cromer and vicinity) we really do not need a car, as a lot is in walking range plus there is good public transport there, so we'll take the train to York from there and do a simple one week car rental, York - York, at the Europcar location at York railway station. I've priced out the two or three additional train journeys that entails, and I'll be saving several hundred pounds (savings in petrol will be additional to that.) Also save the long stressful distance driving, but still have the car for a week in the Yorkshire dales which will be good.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Just back from a three week trip to Blighty.

I initially booked with Hertz as the quote came in relatively cheaply, I forget how much it was but I realised later it was not fully comp (CDW, theft and all that) so I cancelled and booked with Enterprise instead. I booked for 21 days at Edinburgh Airport with them, fully insured for GBP 256.

Where they try and sting you is with buying extra coverage at the desk for the excess amount on the fully comp, so if you have an accident or scratch the car then you will pay up to $1000 for the cost of repair. You are of course not obliged to purchase it and I had already bought our own cover for that, I did not want to have a bill for more than it cost to hire the car or be in any way out of pocket.

Read this article for more on excess insurance, I got ours from Questor, it was relatively cheap. Use Google UK to search for "Excess Car Hire Insurance"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...hire-insurance

https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/...re-excess.aspx
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:14 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My problems also began at the counter. . I had a 45 min wait before I even got to the desk. I had ordered an auto compact....what they gave me was a sports car. I said I didn't want it and was told it was the only auto available. The body work was damaged in several places...and I don't mean scratches or dings...looked like something had hit it.

My husband has used Hertz hundreds of times and has never had a problem.
There is always something going on with rental cars! Last year we ordered a mid-size with auto and AC. As soon as they saw my hubby they tried to make him take a manual, with the sob story that they were running low on auto, and would like to free them up for others that don't drive manual. Um - buy more autos for Pete's sake! We said no - it's bad enough driving on the other side of the road, without concentrating on gears. I could never drive a manual in England.

They gave us a lovely Peugeot SUV, which was nice, except it had that eco thing where the engine goes off when you stop at a light etc, to conserve fuel. Hubby found it quite disconcerting when you have to yield at a roundabout, then try to quickly gather some speed. It got good gas mileage though.

When we got back to LHR we fueled it up, and then I made hubby drive around Windsor castle, as we had a bit of free time. When we got back to Budget they tried to make us pay for another tankful! I got dissed for that one, and it won't happen again!!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:25 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
We've booked a car from Auto Europe for 20 days in June. Paid with AMEX card. Had an e-mail straight away impressing upon us that we needed extra insurance, how important it is, and asking us to contact them. Ignored that.

You mention the extra AMEX $25 coverage. Why would we need that if we already have coverage with AMEX?
always used autoeurope for my clients, they use whoever has the best deal based on length of stay etc. I always advised clients to check and see if they had any of their own coverage first before subscribing to car comapny's. Also, there's a surcharge for picking up at the airport.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 6:26 am
In the pink

Originally Posted by cindyabs
always used autoeurope for my clients, they use whoever has the best deal based on length of stay etc. I always advised clients to check and see if they had any of their own coverage first before subscribing to car comapny's. Also, there's a surcharge for picking up at the airport.
Thanks for the info about Auto Europe Cinday, as we've never used them before. Paid with Amex, so hope insurance will be okay.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Do not, under any circumstances, consider Green Motion. Biggest bunch of crooks out there....

- Tim