Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Renting a car in England; HELP!!!

Wikiposts

Renting a car in England; HELP!!!

Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:00 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting a car in England; HELP!!!

I'm going to England for four weeks on my own in April-May and have decided to rent a car. It's been at least five years since I've rented over there, as we've preferred to use public transport for the last several trips. I'm going to Norfolk and Yorkshire and such, and spending some of the time with my son who lives in England, we'll rent cottages in North Norfolk and the Yorkshire dales.

Anyway, I was planning on using Europcar, as I liked them on previous trips, and thought I'd rent for 20 days, picking up in Norwich and dropping off in Orpington, Kent. It's offering me a VW UP or similar, $832 all-inclusive (incl. CDW, theft waiver, all fees and VAT) or $507 for just standard liability, fees and VAT. I'm thinking of the $832 all-inclusive, since I'm a worrier and this might reduce stress levels.

Those who rent frequently, does this sound reasonable, or is it a lot of money for 20 days? Any tricks and tips for car rental in general? Opinions of Europcar? I've only picked up & dropped off at LHR or LGW before so I'm not sure if all their advertised small town locations really do exist.. Most of them are supposedly open 0800-1600, five or six days a week..

Thanks!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a car in England; HELP!!!

Got AmEx? They usually cover car rental for $20 a pop I thought and a lot of other credit cards might offer something similar if you use the card to book the rental.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried it but many rent from an office away from the airport...supposed to be a lot cheaper. As Bob said...get yourself an AMEX card...if you use it to pay for the rental they just about cover everything insurance wise. Tell the car rental company you don't need insurance as you are fully covered. They may try to talk you into it...but don't budge. You don't need the CDW or theft insurance...so it should bring the cost down. If you get an AMEX card you have to sign up separately for rental car insurance...around $28 per rental.

The problem with renting away from the airport is they may not have an auto if that's what you want.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 4th 2013 at 9:35 am.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Got AmEx? They usually cover car rental for $20 a pop I thought and a lot of other credit cards might offer something similar if you use the card to book the rental.
Here is the link.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...verage/home.do
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
So it's gone up $5 since the last time I read about it here, but still, for $25 that's not bad
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm going to England for four weeks on my own in April-May and have decided to rent a car. It's been at least five years since I've rented over there, as we've preferred to use public transport for the last several trips. I'm going to Norfolk and Yorkshire and such, and spending some of the time with my son who lives in England, we'll rent cottages in North Norfolk and the Yorkshire dales.

Anyway, I was planning on using Europcar, as I liked them on previous trips, and thought I'd rent for 20 days, picking up in Norwich and dropping off in Orpington, Kent. It's offering me a VW UP or similar, $832 all-inclusive (incl. CDW, theft waiver, all fees and VAT) or $507 for just standard liability, fees and VAT. I'm thinking of the $832 all-inclusive, since I'm a worrier and this might reduce stress levels.

Those who rent frequently, does this sound reasonable, or is it a lot of money for 20 days? Any tricks and tips for car rental in general? Opinions of Europcar? I've only picked up & dropped off at LHR or LGW before so I'm not sure if all their advertised small town locations really do exist.. Most of them are supposedly open 0800-1600, five or six days a week..

Thanks!
I usually use Alamo, but I always go in via the uk site http://www.alamo.co.uk. If you do that, the CDW and all the fees are included. I've just booked a Kia Piccante, which I know sounds similar to a Porsche Cayenne, but I think is the same kind of micro-car as you're being offered. That was £109 (UK) for 7 days, and was booked to and from Heathrow.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:19 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
It's offering me a VW UP or similar, $832 all-inclusive (incl. CDW, theft waiver, all fees and VAT) or $507 for just standard liability, fees and VAT.
That sounds a bit steep, although the one-way rental probably adds to the cost.

For a one-way trip, rental companies usually either charge a drop-off fee (which is fixed) or else a higher daily rate than normal. My guess is that you are paying the latter.

For a lengthy rental, you may be better off finding a company that charges a normal daily rate, plus a drop fee added on. (For short rentals, the higher daily rate is usually the better option). In the alternative, you could try to structure your itinerary so that you pick up and return in the same area.

I'd shop the other majors, such as Hertz and Budget. And as noted above, you can save some cash if you get the CDW through your credit card. (A gold/platinum Mastercard should also provide CDW waiver; confirm with the bank that issued your card for details.)

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Mar 4th 2013 at 11:22 am.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for using Amex however your US visa will also do the job they just don't have the added extras that Amex does. Visa (and Mastercard I am told) will cover you for theft and/or damage, car renters in the UK have to automatically include 3rd party liability so you are covered all round. Car rental companies are a rip off when it comes to insurance!

On a side note, I just got back from the UK a week and a half ago, I rented with Hertz, I will not make that mistake again. That is what I get for being cheap and not paying the $30 extra for Alamo, oh well lesson learned!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Another vote for using Amex however your US visa will also do the job they just don't have the added extras that Amex does. Visa (and Mastercard I am told) will cover you for theft and/or damage, car renters in the UK have to automatically include 3rd party liability so you are covered all round. Car rental companies are a rip off when it comes to insurance!

On a side note, I just got back from the UK a week and a half ago, I rented with Hertz, I will not make that mistake again. That is what I get for being cheap and not paying the $30 extra for Alamo, oh well lesson learned!
Most credit card insurance is secondary which means that they only pay for anything that your car insurance company doesn't pay for up to a limited amount. Therefore if you have damages more than the deductible, it is likely that your insurance company may have to pay and therefore your premiums will likely rise.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...icies-1273.php

The AMEX $25 coverage is primary up to $100,000. I don't think any of the credit card insurances or the AMEX $25 coverage covers liability so if there is another car involved, that will be covered by your car insurance policy if your policy covers rental cars in that country.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 4th 2013 at 6:17 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Most credit card insurance is secondary which means that they only pay for anything that your car insurance company doesn't pay for up to a limited amount. Therefore if you have damages more than the deductible, it is likely that your insurance company may have to pay and therefore your premiums will likely rise.
If the rental is in the US that is true, most people in the US do not have personal car insurance that would cover them in the UK therefore the credit card company would pay out for the cash value of the car for theft or damage. If you rent in the US they will cover your deductible and admin costs, the rest your own insurance will pick up.

The AMEX $25 coverage is primary up to $100,000. I don't think any of the credit card insurances or the AMEX $25 coverage covers liability so if there is another car involved, that will be covered by your car insurance policy if your policy covers rental cars in that country.
The OP was asking about renting a car in the UK... By law, car rental companies in the UK HAVE to provide 3rd party liability, it is automatically included in your rental.

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Mar 4th 2013 at 7:14 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If the rental is in the US that is true, most people in the US do not have personal car insurance that would cover them in the UK therefore the credit card company would pay out for the cash value of the car for theft or damage. If you rent in the US they will cover your deductible and admin costs, the rest your own insurance will pick up.

The OP was asking about renting a car in the UK... By law, car rental companies in the UK HAVE to provide 3rd party liability, it is automatically included in your rental.
I called my insurance company (Allstate) several years ago and they said they covered most countries with an exception of a few.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I rented a car from Hertz I had a puncture...what a farce that was. Puncture about 11 am...husband couldn't change the wheel because it had locking wheel nuts and no key. After a couple of hours someone came out to change the wheel...again no key to unlock the wheel nuts even though we stressed this was the problem. In the end we had to get a tow to Manchester Airport...about 20 miles away. It was 7pm before we left the airport with a replaclement car. It was our last day in the UK and it was wasted because of their crap service.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:36 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...icies-1273.php

We've booked a car from Auto Europe for 20 days in June. Paid with AMEX card. Had an e-mail straight away impressing upon us that we needed extra insurance, how important it is, and asking us to contact them. Ignored that.

You mention the extra AMEX $25 coverage. Why would we need that if we already have coverage with AMEX?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I called my insurance company (Allstate) several years ago and they said they covered most countries with an exception of a few.
Then I would suggest contacting your insurance company because mine did not. That said, even of you do have coverage with your own, I say get the Amex with with the additional cover as you would not need to claim on your own insurance.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
We've booked a car from Auto Europe for 20 days in June. Paid with AMEX card. Had an e-mail straight away impressing upon us that we needed extra insurance, how important it is, and asking us to contact them. Ignored that.

You mention the extra AMEX $25 coverage. Why would we need that if we already have coverage with AMEX?
They told me the same thing when I last rented, because they do not cover 3rd party liability but I as I said early by law UK rental have to include 3rd party coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.