Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Drivers licence

Renewing British Drivers licence

Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:30 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Drivers licence

Originally Posted by penguinbar
It's not the expense. Have you ever been to NYC? Not the easiest place to drive!
If you can't pass the NYS driving test (either uptown or in Red Hook), you shouldn't be driving anywhere. Save yourself the hassle and dubious legality of renewing with the DVLA and just get an NYS one.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I have actually thought about both of us taking the class and then both getting our licences. As I said I'm scared but I think I'm going to try. I had a terrible fear of butterflies(I know that sounds strange) and this summer I forced myself to go to butterfly world in Florida. I was shaking at first but I'm ok with them now. Moths are another story! We both could take the test outside of the city in Long Island or Queens. There is no rush on it though. What we really wanted to know was the legality of the situation which was confirmed.We are not going to renew his UK licence.
As the UK doesn't swap US driving licences for UK licences...tell your husband to keep his UK licence in a safe place and keep a note of the licence number. That way if he returns to the UK he can apply for a new licence without having to take the driving test.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

This might be helpful for anyone in NY:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving

For NY you are supposed to hand in your foreign license when you pass your NY road test.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepgirluk

For NY you are supposed to hand in your foreign license when you pass your NY road test.
I should have handed in mine 14 years ago when I got my NJ licence...but I didn't.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:07 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I should have handed in mine 14 years ago when I got my NJ licence...but I didn't.
I know several people from Ireland and the UK who never handed in their foreign licence. None of them were asked to either.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fortunate - I never had to take a US road test.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Nor me
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think many of us manage to get a US licence without actually taking a US road test.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think many of us manage to get a US licence without actually taking a US road test.
It's not what you know, it's who you know. It's amazing what you can get for a box of glazed donuts.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's not your license to hand over though, so you shouldn't be handing it over.

There is one state I think which will swap your UK one for a their state license and they send your license back to the DVLA, but the DVLA will just send the license back to you as they don't need it.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not your license to hand over though, so you shouldn't be handing it over.

There is one state I think which will swap your UK one for a their state license and they send your license back to the DVLA, but the DVLA will just send the license back to you as they don't need it.
I must be reading the NY DMV information incorrectly then.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You probably are reading the info correctly but most of us just refuse to hand over our UK licenses.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The DMV is probably asking for it, but that doesn't mean you should hand it over to them because it also isn't your license to hand over.

It's not like they need it because you are treated as if you don't have a license anyway.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:46 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
If you can't pass the NYS driving test (either uptown or in Red Hook), you shouldn't be driving anywhere. Save yourself the hassle and dubious legality of renewing with the DVLA and just get an NYS one.
What do you mean Uptown or in Redhook? Redhook is a crap area of Brooklyn and Uptown is not a specific area. That could be anywhere north of 59th Street. I also never mentioned anything about not being able to pass the test.He is from a small town in Scotland that he was nervous about driving in NYC. I also said we are not renewing his UK licence if you bothered to read my previous post.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:30 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=penguinbar;I had a terrible fear of butterflies(I know that sounds strange)QUOTE]

Me too. Far too much flapping around. Alright one at a time but together in a butterfly world, now that's just asking for trouble!