Renewing Aus Passports

Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing Aus Passports

Hi, just wanting to know if it is easier to renew both of our sons Australian passports while we are here in Aus or to make life hopefully a little bit easier for me/us at the moment....when we are living back in the U.K? both passports run out in Sept 2010...we are leaving Aus towards the end of April 2010 and I have just noticed the expiry (just where did those years go) date on them was for this year. Both boys have their British Passports which are valid until 2012 and they can use the British ones to return home and if we have a stop over so really it is all down to which would be the easy thing to do.....any help once again would be most greatful...
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:08 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Aus Passports

I doubt it makes much difference. It is easy enough to renew an Australian passport through Australia House in London provided that you have all the necessary paperwork. If you do that, however, I would personally do it before the passports expire, even if there is no intention of using them in the near future.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I doubt it makes much difference. It is easy enough to renew an Australian passport through Australia House in London provided that you have all the necessary paperwork. If you do that, however, I would personally do it before the passports expire, even if there is no intention of using them in the near future.
Thanks I have just been informed by Aus Gov here in Perth that the passports will take 10 days...so may as well do them now....the boys have no intention of using them (their words not mine)......will have another chat with them and see if that's what they want and if so...I will leave it...they can always apply if needed when/if they want to in the future....have all their C.Ships etc and documentation...
Old Mar 13th 2010, 12:34 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
Thanks I have just been informed by Aus Gov here in Perth that the passports will take 10 days...so may as well do them now....the boys have no intention of using them (their words not mine)......will have another chat with them and see if that's what they want and if so...I will leave it...they can always apply if needed when/if they want to in the future....have all their C.Ships etc and documentation...
One thing to bear in mind: as Australian citizens they must use an Australian passport to enter and leave Australia: when leaving Australia they can check in to the airline with their British passports but they have to show a valid Australian passport to the immigration/passport control officer.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,both my kids are aussies,and had dual passports before we left Australia.However both girls have just renewed their aussie p/ports in London,no hassles,just needed their birth certificates and new passport pics.It was very easy to do.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is usually easier to get passports "in-country" rather than at an embassy.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by livinginreality View Post
Hi,both my kids are aussies,and had dual passports before we left Australia.However both girls have just renewed their aussie p/ports in London,no hassles,just needed their birth certificates and new passport pics.It was very easy to do.
Hi thanks everyone for the advice....the boys have until Sept 2010 on their Aus passports and their British ones are until Sept 2011....they are not really bothered about renewing their Aus passports at the moment when we are in Europe we travel on our British passports anyway and only use our Aus passports when visiting Asia etc...not sure if I can renew them now anyway as Auspost have said they still have time left on their Aus passports and also I have different answers from the gov. phone helplines... might just see how it goes...it's their choice anyway...thank you all once again.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
Hi thanks everyone for the advice....the boys have until Sept 2010 on their Aus passports and their British ones are until Sept 2011....they are not really bothered about renewing their Aus passports at the moment when we are in Europe we travel on our British passports anyway and only use our Aus passports when visiting Asia etc...not sure if I can renew them now anyway as Auspost have said they still have time left on their Aus passports and also I have different answers from the gov. phone helplines... might just see how it goes...it's their choice anyway...thank you all once again.
You should be able to renew them now. Many countries refuse to accept a passport with less than 6 months remaining.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
You should be able to renew them now. Many countries refuse to accept a passport with less than 6 months remaining.
That is what I told the passport office but the young lady said we still have just over 6 months on the passports left....I knew this but by the time we fill in the forms etc it will be 6 months....Aus post did not know what to do either...they said I could just fill in a renew form for our oldest but I said he was going from a Child to Adult passport and should we not be filling in a new form...nope they said..but I have just re-read the documents and he needs to fill in a complete you application.... will fill them in and take them this week....I will just file them away and take them out if the boys ask for them.....thank you
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t do it through Aus Post, they usually don’t know what they are doing or have problems doing it before the 6 months. I just take it all straight into the passport office in the city, very quick - for a fee they even let you collect it the next day!