Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Relocate back to Scotland, fears are real!!

View Poll Results: Pros and cons of moving back to Scotland
Moving back
33.33%
Fear is real
33.33%
Moving kids into High School
33.33%
Worried about Race
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Relocate back to Scotland, fears are real!!

Old Jan 21st 2022, 3:44 pm
Calancat

calandcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocate back to Scotland, fears are real!!

Originally Posted by TIME_for_a_CHANGE View Post
Thank you so much for your offer to help with information on the animals! We are lucky to have a vet that has done the forms a few times over, so PHEW!!! We will be getting two copies of everything, because we are going to fly them via KLM to Schipol, then take the overnight ferry to Newcastle Upon Tyne. They have pet-friendly cabins! At least one direct flight from Vancouver to Amsterdam (9 hours or so) and then they'll be reunited with us. I bought an airline approved crate for each, that comes with the metal screws and stickers etc. Has all the holes for zip ties, etc. too. Are you using a pet transport company? KLM should cost about $400 for each of the two smaller crates and then $500 for the one larger one. Then, some processing fees on the receiving end. Be sure to have an import certificate for tax purposes. If you don't have that sorted, let me know and I'll send you a link. If you don't, they may charge you an additional fee on arrival. Our vet form fees with be about $150 each and they're doing the second forms for free. Thankfully, two of the microchips were the 15-digit ones from when they were pups, but the youngest one came with a 9-digit one, so we redid his chip and got his rabies shot afterwards, last month.

Right now we are getting any of our (humans!) dental, medical tests etc. done so that we don't have any surprises when we get there. Letters to cover prescriptions etc.

No - we don't have a house to sell. We rent, too, and if you live in Vancouver, you'll know all about how impossible saving is! We are going on "the bare bones of our bum" as my mom would say ... but at least we stand a chance there ... as opposed to here.

I am most looking forward to history ... things that have age. It sounds so stupid, but I've never got used to living in a city that is barely 140 years old. I know there is a tonne of Indigenous history, but I've visited all the accessible (and affordable) museums and sights ... and now I'm fresh out. I would like to walk in the wild without panicking about bears, coyotes, cougars, etc. I would love to eat bread that doesn’t not agree with me again (WAY too much gluten in everything in North America). All silly things, but ... I just cannot wait.

I am also incredibly nervous. About finding a job. Finding a rental WITH these animals! Will we be miserable? Will we find the right area and not end up in a rotten spot because we didn't understand the dynamics? Will we be accepted as an Australian Canadian and South African Canadian couple?

But if we don't do it now, we will regret never trying. We are nearing 50 and I just feel like we need to take the chance before it passes us by. Besides ... if our landlord decided to sell or move in tomorrow, we would be HOOPED ... we have lived here for 13 years and the rent would go up something crazy.

So. I am so happy for you making this move. I'm sorry the money is tight, but I'm also "pleased" (for lack of a better word) to see that it isn't just the wealthy making the move. It gives me a strange comfort to know that we aren't the only "crazy" ones!!!! 🤭

I tell my HR department in a few weeks and they are going to think I have lost my mind. Oh well.

We are aiming for late April/early May.

Wow sounds just like us. I am 51 and worried about finding a job at my age. Moving like this and starting again is very daunting. My flights are booked June but I cannot book my dog on until closer to the time. I have major anxiety about that . I am NOT leaving her behind. All rentals I have seen said no pets so I am going to have to lie another anxiety I have lol. My family is mixed race another worry I have not my husband had lived in Scotland with us for 14 yr prior to returning to Canada and he feels very safe. People are not as politicpolitically correct but call a spade a spade and you know where you stand pretty quickly. Our mixed race son is 23 and didn't come with us he loves Scotland and travels so much. I worry a little about my 14yrs old starting 4th year at a clique high school with majority white kids. But he is confident so I need to relax. I have the paper work for the vet to complete and all appts made some vaccine need to be given 24hrs before departure. I also bought a travel crate however after hrs of research there is not one travel crate approved and you just need to make sure you have everything exact. My pet flight is $600 from Toronto and £450 pet handling in UK I need to complete TOR online to avoid surcharges. She will be taking to a pet lactation 1 mile from the airport where I will collect her after our 7 hr flight. The reason my hubby is going first is to find work and a rental. Another option is paying the yrs rent up front which is a lot of money from Canadian to UK approx £12,000 .
Old Jan 21st 2022, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calandcat View Post
The 3 yr residency does not apply to those born in Scotland my daughters application has been accepted into college and at first they said she needs to have returned for 6 mths because we were out the country more than 2 yrs. Then we received an email stating that because born in Scotland no wait period is required. She will get free education. Does not apply those born in England they have a wait period.
When you say 'college', are you meaning college in the US sense i.e. university? Or a sixth form college?

If uni, it's normally 3 years residency before being eligible for free education. It is up to each uni individually so looks as though hers made a ruling in her favour, but that won't necessarily be the case for all. We have friends with 3 children born in Scotland (they've lived in England for many years), their eldest two are at Scottish uni's and are having to pay.

Official guidance here - https://www.saas.gov.uk/guides/funding-guide. And in 'layman's speak' - https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/choi...ty-in-scotland or https://www.savethestudent.org/stude...-students.html
Old Jan 21st 2022, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

All rentals I have seen said no pets so I am going to have to lie another anxiety I have lol.
Please don't lie. There will be options for those with a dog, but if you lie then you could find yourself kicked out, having lost your deposit etc, in breach of contract. Just be honest and you'll find somewhere. You may find a lot of places will say 'no pets' as a blanket policy, but if you offer a higher deposit and give info on our pet, they'll consider it on a case by case basis, it's always worth asking.

Good luck.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 4:11 pm
Calancat

This was the email from the collegeI now have information regarding our policy with oversea applications, my apologies for the delay and any confusion I have brought upon yourself.
So long as you are Scottish, and are living as a resident in Scotland before the 1st of August 2022, you are more than free to apply for your chosen course.

This means you will be able to also apply for any student funding should your application be successful, such as a bursary or SAAS should you desire to later take a HNC or HND level. You will not be charged as an international student, whereas someone from England, Wales or Northern Island would if they did not live within the UK for the past three years.

Once again, my apologies for the past confusion.

Old Jan 21st 2022, 4:16 pm
Calancat

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
When you say 'college', are you meaning college in the US sense i.e. university? Or a sixth form college?

If uni, it's normally 3 years residency before being eligible for free education. It is up to each uni individually so looks as though hers made a ruling in her favour, but that won't necessarily be the case for all. We have friends with 3 children born in Scotland (they've lived in England for many years), their eldest two are at Scottish uni's and are having to pay.

Official guidance here - https://www.saas.gov.uk/guides/funding-guide. And in 'layman's speak' - https://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/choi...ty-in-scotland or https://www.savethestudent.org/stude...-students.html
yes they have to pay if they only moved to Scotland for university that's different. If transfer of residency and Scotland is they're home then it's free. Lots of English Scots born try to come to Scotland for university. They do have to pay. It won't affect me because my kids will be attending high school and college first. There is also always ways around it.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

yes they have to pay if they only moved to Scotland for university that's different. If transfer of residency and Scotland is they're home then it's free. Lots of English Scots born try to come to Scotland for university. They do have to pay. It won't affect me because my kids will be attending high school and college first. There is also always ways around it.
Ah, yes, different rules then for secondary school/sixth form/highers, it's only uni where the 3 year residency rule comes in to play.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 21st 2022 at 4:58 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

fountaini is an unknown quantity at this point

OK so Scotland is different from England no GSEs. And she will be a school leaver at 16 because she hasn't sat the Scottish exams to stay on for higher education. . So my daughter is only grade 11 here in Canada and cannot attend high school in Scotland so she will go straight to college which is better anyway and she can easily get her national credit there. You will not get free education ie. College and university until you have been in the country for at least 6 mths. You need to be born in Scotland to receive that regardless of parents background or duel citizen. My flight is June 30th so both kids finish grade 9 and grade 11 complete. My grade 9 will be going into 4th yr in Scotland so he will be able to get his exams under his belt to hopefully stay on until university and miss out college. But either way is great because the law is that children under 18 must be provided with an education so don't worry too much about it being college or high school. I have a 23 yr old who still lives in Scotland. He left school at 16yrs messed around did some college course messed around then finally grew up and got his entry level from college to get into university where he is now in his 2nd yr. Even though he is late at doing this and his friends are all graduated who cares it's free, it's the right time for him and finally getting there. Bus transportation is free for students up to the age 25yrs now and dental also free for students to 25yrs so lots of benefits . Try not worry about that stuff. Your worry should be getting your visa which is so annoying. Make sure kids British Passport all up to date stuff you can be doing right now before you decide to move. Those things are headaches. Taking the pets another headache. My husband is going in March to find us a rental property that's another headache. Good luck!
Our stories seem to be so similar. My anxiety is already sky high and we have not started contacting the movers. The next few weeks will be manic to get everything organized. The kids have their UK passport and my husband is British so I can check 3 boxes. It will be great to be reunited with your son. Our 18 years is still figuring out what he wants to do. Not sure he's ready for Uni and worried he won't feel happy once we're there. It was so much easier when we moved to the US from England 19 years ago. I was pregnant with my son so he was easier to carry! My daughter is doing great at school so hopefully will adapt to college/high school or whatever the Scottish system calls it. Finding a place to stay is our first headache before being able to contact schools. Fingers crossed for you and us.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fountaini View Post
Our stories seem to be so similar. My anxiety is already sky high and we have not started contacting the movers. The next few weeks will be manic to get everything organized. The kids have their UK passport and my husband is British so I can check 3 boxes. It will be great to be reunited with your son. Our 18 years is still figuring out what he wants to do. Not sure he's ready for Uni and worried he won't feel happy once we're there. It was so much easier when we moved to the US from England 19 years ago. I was pregnant with my son so he was easier to carry! My daughter is doing great at school so hopefully will adapt to college/high school or whatever the Scottish system calls it. Finding a place to stay is our first headache before being able to contact schools. Fingers crossed for you and us.
Have you got all the requirements in place to get your own visa? .... and taken into account that standard visa applications take up to 3 months or more to process?
Old Jan 21st 2022, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Yes. We should be able to send the application within 2 weeks.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 9:35 pm
Calancat

So don't worry about the education your 18 yr old can go to college first to figure out what he wants to do. College is a great start. My son took business then went off to University. You may have to pay if they were not born in Scotland though. It will be a massive adjustment for your kids mine have great memories because we have only been here 4 yrs. They talk about food they miss, family they miss, etc. I find the difference is kids tend to be rougher around the edges and pretty street smart compared to here. They use public transport more and hang out drinking at a young age. .I worked as social work in the schools in Scotland and I am in the schools here only as an EA. I am so bored and I find everyone is babyed and expectations are low. Drives me nuts to be honest. I like the innocence but hate the no uniform and rudeness. Hoods up in class. Walking out of class etc. My son struggled in grade 6 when we moved here. He said kids got away with anything! I find we are only invested in the achievers here where in Scotland everyone has the opportunity. If school isn't for you then try college. And keep trying. Mostly because things aren't privatize like Canada. All services are free. Counseling, health etc so organizations work together. Here they don't coz all private.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

I hear you. Nothing is free in the US. Health insurance alone is crippling to the point that we all fear getting sick. Schools are not outstanding and the constant fear that some nutty kid might bring his guns to school is always on the back of my mind. Not sure I'll ever understand why Americans think they are the best nation in the world. I cannot wait to return to the UK. I lived in England 13 years before moving to the States. I miss the culture and history and just the way of life. In the US you don't have a life unless you have a car. History only stretches to around 150 years and they don't know how to build with stones. I grew up in France and was able to get around town using public transport at a young age. That is something I wish my kids could have experienced sooner. Hopefully it will happen in a few months. Perhaps we'll exchange our stories on the other side one day.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

TIME_for_a_CHANGE is an unknown quantity at this point

So don't worry about the education your 18 yr old can go to college first to figure out what he wants to do. College is a great start. My son took business then went off to University. You may have to pay if they were not born in Scotland though. It will be a massive adjustment for your kids mine have great memories because we have only been here 4 yrs. They talk about food they miss, family they miss, etc. I find the difference is kids tend to be rougher around the edges and pretty street smart compared to here. They use public transport more and hang out drinking at a young age. .I worked as social work in the schools in Scotland and I am in the schools here only as an EA. I am so bored and I find everyone is babyed and expectations are low. Drives me nuts to be honest. I like the innocence but hate the no uniform and rudeness. Hoods up in class. Walking out of class etc. My son struggled in grade 6 when we moved here. He said kids got away with anything! I find we are only invested in the achievers here where in Scotland everyone has the opportunity. If school isn't for you then try college. And keep trying. Mostly because things aren't privatize like Canada. All services are free. Counseling, health etc so organizations work together. Here they don't coz all private.
This was such an interesting and honest response. I sent you a direct message to ask you some questions etc., but wanted to add that these are so many of the things we are looking forward to, as well. While we have never lived in Scotland, we have both spent some time in England and grew up in the "commonwealth" way (Australia and South Africa). School uniforms, transit, food, etc.

Honestly ... I cannot take the food anymore!!! 🤣 I haven't tested a proper tomato in years, let alone good, standard bread ... or strawberries!

I don't want to complain too much about Canada, because I have been able to raise a child into an adult here with all that comes with it, but I also think it's important to acknowledge WHY it isn't working so that you can make informed decisions. Realistic decisions.

For me, Canada feels very focused on who you know, where you studied, your job, your house. I never went to university, but literally every person at my work has a degree (or two) under their belt. Many folks seem to have a trajectory laid out for them in terms of getting on the property ladder, but if you weren't born and raised here or have a fantastic career ... it's almost like it's too late to start.

For the poster in the US - I cannot imagine that fear with your kids going to school. That is awful and I am so happy for you that that form of anxiety will soon be relieved.

I'm not expecting perfection, I'm nervous about logistics, I'm worried about what I may miss too much ... but I have to do this now or I will regret not trying.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Hello. I have not received your direct message with questions.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

TIME_for_a_CHANGE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. I have not received your direct message with questions.
I meant I had sent calandcat a direct message - sorry that wasn't clear. But I'm happy to send you one, too? 😊😉
Old Jan 21st 2022, 11:13 pm
Calancat

Originally Posted by TIME_for_a_CHANGE View Post
This was such an interesting and honest response. I sent you a direct message to ask you some questions etc., but wanted to add that these are so many of the things we are looking forward to, as well. While we have never lived in Scotland, we have both spent some time in England and grew up in the "commonwealth" way (Australia and South Africa). School uniforms, transit, food, etc.

Honestly ... I cannot take the food anymore!!! 🤣 I haven't tested a proper tomato in years, let alone good, standard bread ... or strawberries!

I don't want to complain too much about Canada, because I have been able to raise a child into an adult here with all that comes with it, but I also think it's important to acknowledge WHY it isn't working so that you can make informed decisions. Realistic decisions.

For me, Canada feels very focused on who you know, where you studied, your job, your house. I never went to university, but literally every person at my work has a degree (or two) under their belt. Many folks seem to have a trajectory laid out for them in terms of getting on the property ladder, but if you weren't born and raised here or have a fantastic career ... it's almost like it's too late to start.

For the poster in the US - I cannot imagine that fear with your kids going to school. That is awful and I am so happy for you that that form of anxiety will soon be relieved.

I'm not expecting perfection, I'm nervous about logistics, I'm worried about what I may miss too much ... but I have to do this now or I will regret not trying.
Your exactly right. I agree with everything you said. So in Scotland I had tons of experience. Experience is everything. We don't have what's called seniority which drives me nuts. So I am more experienced at my work however my colleague who has been there 20 yrs doesn't further her knowledge because she doesn't need to because of stupid seniority, can sit back and do nothing. Happens all the time. They are never challenged or continued to grow don't need to be they just put in time, boring time. Where in Scotland I was sent to college by my employer all paid for I was constantly trained and even though I do not have a degree I was equal to my colleges that did have one. Not that it's spoken about anyway. I was encourage to change jobs encouraged to grow. Your pension goes from job to job. My past experience and constant courses counted for something. Both my husband and I struggle with it the most it's the number one issue for our move we cannot get hired without a degree here in Canada. My husband worked in the college in Scotland. Fantastic job. Shirt and tie desk job he was a supervisor loved it. In Canada for the exactly same job he can't even pass the algorithms to get an interview he is doing factory work with no holidays no sick pay etc.he has applied for hundreds of jobs but we don't have a connection. WHY DID WE MOVE ! It took me 2 yrs to get permanent at work here and get benefits and in Scotland when your part time your as equal to a full time person. That's not the case here. I pay more into benefits etc.
My kids school have been inin lock ddownon two occasions rom Sep to Dec 2021 knife and gun crime. !!!
I have learned absolutely nothing in my work to add to my resume for my return to Scotland.
I miss the paid holidays all 20fays from your first day of work. I also have a house in spain I cannot wait to take a 2.5hr flight to be in the sun and visit the best markets ever for fresh produce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.