Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Relocate back to Scotland, fears are real!!

View Poll Results: Pros and cons of moving back to Scotland
Moving back
28.57%
Fear is real
42.86%
Moving kids into High School
28.57%
Worried about Race
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Relocate back to Scotland, fears are real!!

Old Aug 19th 2021, 12:29 pm
Calancat

calandcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocate back to Scotland, fears are real!!

We moved to Canada 4 yrs ago, it hasn't worked out as we hoped. Difficult getting good jobs mainly becaue people stick in same job for yrs so they are honored for longevity, compared to Scotland where experience is respected and equal rights to all employees regardless of how long you have worked there. So we haven't had holiday pay etc for yrs. My husband is pushing the move, kids happy either way. My only worry is starting again, we rent, house prices on both countries are expensive, i worry about racism, my kids are mixed race, it's appears to be racist here also but very different type people are politically correct which makes it hard to recognize! I miss the banter, socializing, holidays, clean air, pubs, country side, people strong opinionated views, miss family, my dad, my 23yr old son only hate the rain lol. The move will be very expensive, saving every penny is struggle here. Little worried about my son going into high school in Canada which would be 3rd year high school Scotland, fitting in, making friends. Omg the stress is killing me,. My husband loves Scotland( he is Canadian) , I am looking for reassurance really. Which area should I go?
Old Jan 9th 2022, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

TIME_for_a_CHANGE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocate back to Scotland, fears are real!!

Hi there!

I'm not sure if you're even on here, but would very much like to connect with you regarding your move. You've experienced both sides of the ocean and we are just preparing to make the move to Scotland from Canada ... for the very reasons you outlined.

I hope you have managed to make your move and have found happiness in your return.

Old Jan 9th 2022, 9:36 pm
Calancat

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. We have started the plan. My husband leaves first March 2022 to find work and have a party check so we actually qualify for rentals. We join him when kids are finished school. My son is grade 9 here and will be going into 4th yr there which is worrying. My daughter is grade 11 here and already applied for college there. So basically leaving school in grade 11... she qualified for free education at college because she is born in Scotland. Otherwise she would of had to be returned for at least 6 mths. . Not sure on jobs hopefully get one when we arrive. What about you.
Old Jan 10th 2022, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by calandcat
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. We have started the plan. My husband leaves first March 2022 to find work and have a party check so we actually qualify for rentals. We join him when kids are finished school. My son is grade 9 here and will be going into 4th yr there which is worrying. My daughter is grade 11 here and already applied for college there. So basically leaving school in grade 11... she qualified for free education at college because she is born in Scotland. Otherwise she would of had to be returned for at least 6 mths. . Not sure on jobs hopefully get one when we arrive. What about you.
Our only child is an adult now, so has her own life quite established here in Canada, which has made the decision to leave just that much more difficult, but we just "cannot" anymore. We considered doing the "one of us goes ahead" scenario, but keeping the household going here and there is unfortunately just too expensive. Vancouver living!? It would be ideal, though! So ... we are going to throw caution to the wind and move all at once ... including all three dogs! Yikes. I tend to over-prepare, worry, etc., but decided that I just have to start doing things differently, because if being so organised hasn't worked thus far ... how bad could it get?! 😬 Lots more to add, but will wait until I can message (I'm too new to the forum!).
Old Jan 10th 2022, 7:39 am
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

We returned to a Scotland in September after 25 years in Canada. It took a number of years of soul searching but having made the move, nothing beats being closer to family and life long friends. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.
Old Jan 10th 2022, 4:04 pm
Calancat

Originally Posted by TIME_for_a_CHANGE
Our only child is an adult now, so has her own life quite established here in Canada, which has made the decision to leave just that much more difficult, but we just "cannot" anymore. We considered doing the "one of us goes ahead" scenario, but keeping the household going here and there is unfortunately just too expensive. Vancouver living!? It would be ideal, though! So ... we are going to throw caution to the wind and move all at once ... including all three dogs! Yikes. I tend to over-prepare, worry, etc., but decided that I just have to start doing things differently, because if being so organised hasn't worked thus far ... how bad could it get?! 😬 Lots more to add, but will wait until I can message (I'm too new to the forum!).
Yes that is a difficult decision. We left out 23 yr old in Scotland 4yrs ago to move to Canada. It was his choice not to come. Now he is saying I told you so and happy we are returning. We are leaving our step daughter here in Canada but she agrees with us moving and wondered why it took us so long to move back to where our lives were much better (Scotland). If you have a house to sell your in a way much better position than I will ever be. Especially the cost of houses here in Canada. I assume you have made money. Unfortunately we are having to rent. The only reason we are not going as a family of 4 is because the kids need to finish school and my work contract ends at the same time and we cannot all fit into my Dad's tiny house in Scotland. So hopefully my husband will find work and a place to rent for our arrival. I found a very inexpensive shipping company, I am happy about that. Taking memorable and basics like beds . The dog situation is the most stressful the price tripled due to covid and they actually charge covid expenses.. I know lots about taking dogs into UK if you need info? They need there Rabies Vaccine (primary) after chip or its void and you need to get redone. Booking your dog can only be done a couple of months before your flight and they may say no. Very stressful. And the strict carrier rules require you to upgrade your pet carrier by changing screws from plastic to metal etc etc I could go on and on.
Old Jan 10th 2022, 4:06 pm
Calancat

Wow after 25yrs that's amazing, which part in Scotland did you go to. I am going to West Lothian outside Edinburgh. I wish it was somewhere else but that's where my dad and son are.
Old Jan 13th 2022, 12:14 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow after 25yrs that's amazing, which part in Scotland did you go to. I am going to West Lothian outside Edinburgh. I wish it was somewhere else but that's where my dad and son are.
We relocated to the Moray Coast (Kinloss) where we have family. We originally wanted to go to the Borders however COVID was bad when we arrived and we wanted to be close to family, so here we are. It is all good, very familiar and to be honest we didn't know how much we missed being close to family until we returned. Feel free to reach out anytime.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 12:53 am
Just Joined

fountaini is an unknown quantity at this point

I would love to hear if you are definitely moving to Scotland in 2022. Our family is facing the same fears and questions. We are planning to move from the US back to the UK (Scotland) with our teenagers (15 and 18), a dog and 2 cats. So much fear that it will be too hard for the kids to adapt. Worried about not finding a house to buy quickly or even a rental to stay in with our pets until we finally buy a place. Good luck to you and write an update soon.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 1:06 am
Calancat

Hello,

Yes my move is finalized, I have flights booked and shipping container also.. we are taking our dog which is the most stressful part. We don't have a house to sell here but if you are going with money your in a much better state than us. Your children are older so they can go to college which means you miss all that bull with high school drama. If your kids were born in Scotland then they're education is free immediately. If not then you have rules etc need to be in the country for minimum 6mths. And so on. I hope I am doing the right thing. I worry about the kids making friends . I will keep you posted
Old Jan 21st 2022, 1:24 am
Just Joined

fountaini is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. Very best of luck with your move. Update us when you are on the other side contemplating a plate of haggis .
Our son is graduating high school in June which is when we are planning our move. Our daughter is currently in year 10 in the US which means she will have 2 years of high school left. I guess she'll have to jump straight into GCSEs. They have British citizenship from my husband and were born in the US. Not so simple for me as I am French and will require a visa to stay. Mad a Brexit! I hope you will feel welcome as soon as you land.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Yes that is a difficult decision. We left out 23 yr old in Scotland 4yrs ago to move to Canada. It was his choice not to come. Now he is saying I told you so and happy we are returning. We are leaving our step daughter here in Canada but she agrees with us moving and wondered why it took us so long to move back to where our lives were much better (Scotland). If you have a house to sell your in a way much better position than I will ever be. Especially the cost of houses here in Canada. I assume you have made money. Unfortunately we are having to rent. The only reason we are not going as a family of 4 is because the kids need to finish school and my work contract ends at the same time and we cannot all fit into my Dad's tiny house in Scotland. So hopefully my husband will find work and a place to rent for our arrival. I found a very inexpensive shipping company, I am happy about that. Taking memorable and basics like beds . The dog situation is the most stressful the price tripled due to covid and they actually charge covid expenses.. I know lots about taking dogs into UK if you need info? They need there Rabies Vaccine (primary) after chip or its void and you need to get redone. Booking your dog can only be done a couple of months before your flight and they may say no. Very stressful. And the strict carrier rules require you to upgrade your pet carrier by changing screws from plastic to metal etc etc I could go on and on.
Thank you so much for your offer to help with information on the animals! We are lucky to have a vet that has done the forms a few times over, so PHEW!!! We will be getting two copies of everything, because we are going to fly them via KLM to Schipol, then take the overnight ferry to Newcastle Upon Tyne. They have pet-friendly cabins! At least one direct flight from Vancouver to Amsterdam (9 hours or so) and then they'll be reunited with us. I bought an airline approved crate for each, that comes with the metal screws and stickers etc. Has all the holes for zip ties, etc. too. Are you using a pet transport company? KLM should cost about $400 for each of the two smaller crates and then $500 for the one larger one. Then, some processing fees on the receiving end. Be sure to have an import certificate for tax purposes. If you don't have that sorted, let me know and I'll send you a link. If you don't, they may charge you an additional fee on arrival. Our vet form fees with be about $150 each and they're doing the second forms for free. Thankfully, two of the microchips were the 15-digit ones from when they were pups, but the youngest one came with a 9-digit one, so we redid his chip and got his rabies shot afterwards, last month.

Right now we are getting any of our (humans!) dental, medical tests etc. done so that we don't have any surprises when we get there. Letters to cover prescriptions etc.

No - we don't have a house to sell. We rent, too, and if you live in Vancouver, you'll know all about how impossible saving is! We are going on "the bare bones of our bum" as my mom would say ... but at least we stand a chance there ... as opposed to here.

I am most looking forward to history ... things that have age. It sounds so stupid, but I've never got used to living in a city that is barely 140 years old. I know there is a tonne of Indigenous history, but I've visited all the accessible (and affordable) museums and sights ... and now I'm fresh out. I would like to walk in the wild without panicking about bears, coyotes, cougars, etc. I would love to eat bread that doesn’t not agree with me again (WAY too much gluten in everything in North America). All silly things, but ... I just cannot wait.

I am also incredibly nervous. About finding a job. Finding a rental WITH these animals! Will we be miserable? Will we find the right area and not end up in a rotten spot because we didn't understand the dynamics? Will we be accepted as an Australian Canadian and South African Canadian couple?

But if we don't do it now, we will regret never trying. We are nearing 50 and I just feel like we need to take the chance before it passes us by. Besides ... if our landlord decided to sell or move in tomorrow, we would be HOOPED ... we have lived here for 13 years and the rent would go up something crazy.

So. I am so happy for you making this move. I'm sorry the money is tight, but I'm also "pleased" (for lack of a better word) to see that it isn't just the wealthy making the move. It gives me a strange comfort to know that we aren't the only "crazy" ones!!!! 🤭

I tell my HR department in a few weeks and they are going to think I have lost my mind. Oh well.

We are aiming for late April/early May.

Last edited by TIME_for_a_CHANGE; Jan 21st 2022 at 6:36 am.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 10:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Your children are older so they can go to college which means you miss all that bull with high school drama. If your kids were born in Scotland then they're education is free immediately.
Not for university though I assume? Just to clarify for anybody reading, I think the 3 year residency rule still applies even for people born in Scotland?
Old Jan 21st 2022, 2:25 pm
Calancat

OK so Scotland is different from England no GSEs. And she will be a school leaver at 16 because she hasn't sat the Scottish exams to stay on for higher education. . So my daughter is only grade 11 here in Canada and cannot attend high school in Scotland so she will go straight to college which is better anyway and she can easily get her national credit there. You will not get free education ie. College and university until you have been in the country for at least 6 mths. You need to be born in Scotland to receive that regardless of parents background or duel citizen. My flight is June 30th so both kids finish grade 9 and grade 11 complete. My grade 9 will be going into 4th yr in Scotland so he will be able to get his exams under his belt to hopefully stay on until university and miss out college. But either way is great because the law is that children under 18 must be provided with an education so don't worry too much about it being college or high school. I have a 23 yr old who still lives in Scotland. He left school at 16yrs messed around did some college course messed around then finally grew up and got his entry level from college to get into university where he is now in his 2nd yr. Even though he is late at doing this and his friends are all graduated who cares it's free, it's the right time for him and finally getting there. Bus transportation is free for students up to the age 25yrs now and dental also free for students to 25yrs so lots of benefits . Try not worry about that stuff. Your worry should be getting your visa which is so annoying. Make sure kids British Passport all up to date stuff you can be doing right now before you decide to move. Those things are headaches. Taking the pets another headache. My husband is going in March to find us a rental property that's another headache. Good luck!
Old Jan 21st 2022, 2:29 pm
Calancat

The 3 yr residency does not apply to those born in Scotland my daughters application has been accepted into college and at first they said she needs to have returned for 6 mths because we were out the country more than 2 yrs. Then we received an email stating that because born in Scotland no wait period is required. She will get free education. Does not apply those born in England they have a wait period.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.