Regretting it already!

Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regretting it already!

Originally Posted by franki
I couldn't open it for some reason, it said possibly a popup blocker!

If you need to override a popup blocker, try holding down the Alt key and then clicking on the link.

I learned this trick since I got BT internet, which comes with a complete Norton Utilities package that slows down your computer and treats every email and Web site and document as if it is the enemy.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 7:59 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you need to override a popup blocker, try holding down the Alt key and then clicking on the link.

I learned this trick since I got BT internet, which comes with a complete Norton Utilities package that slows down your computer and treats every email and Web site and document as if it is the enemy.
Some require you hold down the 'control' key
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:35 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

So, Franki, aside from the minor war that broke out in the middle of this thread (doesn't always happen, I promise), are you feeling any better about the move?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

Originally Posted by bundy
So, Franki, aside from the minor war that broke out in the middle of this thread (doesn't always happen, I promise), are you feeling any better about the move?
Yes thanks, I am feeling a little better. We packed up all our pictures and ornaments so the house is getting pretty empty which I think is helping. The snow's here now too which I'll be glad to get away from. It still seems quite unreal. My daughter seems to be doing good at the moment, she's been asking questions and we're planning a leaving party for her. I'm sure it's not going to be easy when it's time to leave but she's being really strong at the moment. She doesn't want to pack away any of her toys though. My 2 year old son doesn't care though, he just loves to help. We're just keeping a few toys out that we're going to send by mail so they can have them when we get there. We're still trying to decide on the shippers, we need to get our act together though as time is running out. I'll keep you posted.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:09 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thanks, I am feeling a little better. We packed up all our pictures and ornaments so the house is getting pretty empty which I think is helping. The snow's here now too which I'll be glad to get away from. It still seems quite unreal. My daughter seems to be doing good at the moment, she's been asking questions and we're planning a leaving party for her. I'm sure it's not going to be easy when it's time to leave but she's being really strong at the moment. She doesn't want to pack away any of her toys though. My 2 year old son doesn't care though, he just loves to help. We're just keeping a few toys out that we're going to send by mail so they can have them when we get there. We're still trying to decide on the shippers, we need to get our act together though as time is running out. I'll keep you posted.
Things are definitely moving along then - I think you're right, once you get to the stage of packing up it somehow seems to become less your home, and more just a house you are leaving.

It's good that your daughter is asking questions, because at least it shows she is taking an active interest in what is happening to her and the family. Good plan with the toys - do your kids have a favourite doll/teddy/toy? If so, make sure you let them keep this with them at all times for familiarity. When friends of mine emigrated they encouraged their daughter (aged 6) to explain everything to her favourite teddy. Seemed to work!

Is there a way your daughter can easily stay in touch with her friends? It's a tricky age for that, I guess, but my 7yr old step-daughter is just getting into the idea of emailing (with supervision). Webcams and plain old letter writing can help too. If you haven't already done so, remember to get addresses and contact details before you go.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

Originally Posted by bundy
Things are definitely moving along then - I think you're right, once you get to the stage of packing up it somehow seems to become less your home, and more just a house you are leaving.

It's good that your daughter is asking questions, because at least it shows she is taking an active interest in what is happening to her and the family. Good plan with the toys - do your kids have a favourite doll/teddy/toy? If so, make sure you let them keep this with them at all times for familiarity. When friends of mine emigrated they encouraged their daughter (aged 6) to explain everything to her favourite teddy. Seemed to work!

Is there a way your daughter can easily stay in touch with her friends? It's a tricky age for that, I guess, but my 7yr old step-daughter is just getting into the idea of emailing (with supervision). Webcams and plain old letter writing can help too. If you haven't already done so, remember to get addresses and contact details before you go.
Yes, I think we're pretty organised on that front. My daughter has a new address book for her friends addresses. I also bought these cute princess letter writing kits for her and a couple of her closest friends. We use skype a lot and have a good webcam and also bought the grandparents here the same one. She's pretty good at emailing too so I think staying in touch should be fairly easy. She also has a couple of friends in England as well as her cousins so I'm sure, with time, she'll be fine. That's a good idea about explaining it to her teddy. She does have a teddy that she has had since she was born. He's been on every flight to England so he'll be staying close. Thanks for all the advice. It really helps.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:22 pm
She's a bird, you know

That's a good idea about explaining it to her teddy. She does have a teddy that she has had since she was born. He's been on every flight to England so he'll be staying close. Thanks for all the advice. It really helps.
It also means that you can check both her understanding about what's going on, and how she feels about it in the way that she describes it. Apparently, it's all something to do with control - because the child has control over telling the teddy, it means she doesn't feel like she is the last to know about things and that she is in a *superior* position of knowledge! Take the teddy and get her to describe the whole process, and the journey to him. And let us know whether or not it works!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heading home
..... February isn't the best month to be in the UK but wait till Spring arrives!
Looks like it arrived weeks ago....warm winds, catkins and snowdrops are out and wildlife is just a wee bit confused....they all think it's late April. Too bad a wind storm is on its way tomorrow night and snow next week...maybe.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:34 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Looks like it arrived weeks ago....warm winds, catkins and snowdrops are out and wildlife is just a wee bit confused....they all think it's late April. Too bad a wind storm is on its way tomorrow night and snow next week...maybe.
I know, it's mad isn't it? When I moved up here, people promised endless snowy days. Barely seen one in the last 2 years!