Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Registering Newborn with NHS doc upon arrival in UK

Registering Newborn with NHS doc upon arrival in UK

Old Mar 11th 2015, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering Newborn with NHS doc upon arrival in UK

HI,

We are guessing Baby2 will be around 7 weeks old when we arrive back in the UK so obviously it is a priority to get him registered with a doctor/health visitor asap so we can keep up with vaccine schedules and in case of any concerns.

We won't have time to get his British passport of UK consular birth certificate before we fly (thanks to everything being centralized), so he will arrive in the UK on his American passport and birth cert. Will this be ok for registering with the NHS? Obviously we can show our documents, my husbands new employment contract etc.

Thanks!
Old Mar 11th 2015, 11:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering Newborn with NHS doc upon arrival in UK

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
HI,

We are guessing Baby2 will be around 7 weeks old when we arrive back in the UK so obviously it is a priority to get him registered with a doctor/health visitor asap so we can keep up with vaccine schedules and in case of any concerns.

We won't have time to get his British passport of UK consular birth certificate before we fly (thanks to everything being centralized), so he will arrive in the UK on his American passport and birth cert. Will this be ok for registering with the NHS? Obviously we can show our documents, my husbands new employment contract etc.

Thanks!
Depends on how diligent your GP surgery is on immigration matters. I would lodge an application as soon as you return so if there are any issues then you can always apply to register once you have it. HMPO offers a one week Fast Track service for first-time child applicants.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think the consular birth cert would help? I've been looking and I think I could just get it sent to my parents rather than the US. I'm going to get multiple copies of babies US long form birth cert I'm just scared in case they ask for any of our docs as we may need them for other things.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 7:49 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think the consular birth cert would help? I've been looking and I think I could just get it sent to my parents rather than the US. I'm going to get multiple copies of babies US long form birth cert I'm just scared in case they ask for any of our docs as we may need them for other things.
I'd get one. If you intend living in the UK it will give baby a stand along document that proves baby is a Brit.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
I'd get one. If you intend living in the UK it will give baby a stand along document that proves baby is a Brit.
Ditto.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

We were always going to get the consular birth cert (our other son has one) I am just wondering if it is worth rushing to do this before we leave the US , using my parents address as the postal address.

Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:26 pm

We were always going to get the consular birth cert (our other son has one) I am just wondering if it is worth rushing to do this before we leave the US , using my parents address as the postal address.

As the service standard is five days (although more like two weeks) I would have it sent to you in the US. That way you can show it at the UK border if requested. This is presuming that you will have your mail redirected to the UK in case it doesn't reach you in time.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As the service standard is five days (although more like two weeks) I would have it sent to you in the US. That way you can show it at the UK border if requested. This is presuming that you will have your mail redirected to the UK in case it doesn't reach you in time.
Hmm, I am just scared of sending something like that via the post. What I may do is get it sent to my Mum's house and get her to FedEx it to me if it arrives before we've left our apartment.

It's all logistics!
Old Mar 13th 2015, 11:38 pm

Hmm, I am just scared of sending something like that via the post. What I may do is get it sent to my Mum's house and get her to FedEx it to me if it arrives before we've left our apartment.

It's all logistics!
That might be a better idea for peace of mind. Good luck with the baby and the move