Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Register as a British national

Register as a British national

Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:33 am
Just Joined

Wanna Be Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Register as a British national

Hello everyone! I heard this site would be extremely helpful. My mother is a British citizen and i am entitled (thru her) to also register as a Brit national.

I wanted to know if it's possible to file for registration while I'm visiting UK on a visit visa? I'm going to be there for a couple of months anyway and since it is my entitlement, would it be an issue if i was to do it on that visit?

Will appreciate your help!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:52 am
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Register as a British national

You should be able to apply through the British Embassy or Consulate in the country you're in, you don't have to wait until you're in the UK.

Why don't you give them a call and ask.......
Old Aug 26th 2009, 12:44 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanna Be Brit
Hello everyone! I heard this site would be extremely helpful. My mother is a British citizen and i am entitled (thru her) to also register as a Brit national.

I wanted to know if it's possible to file for registration while I'm visiting UK on a visit visa? I'm going to be there for a couple of months anyway and since it is my entitlement, would it be an issue if i was to do it on that visit?

Were you born before 1983, or after 1983?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

tevel3 is a jewel in the roughtevel3 is a jewel in the roughtevel3 is a jewel in the roughtevel3 is a jewel in the rough

yes, you can apply during your visit in the uk.
i myself have applied while only being on a tourist visa for 6 months.
it could be a bit hectic applying while on that visa though.
good luck

btw, since they cant tell you how long its going to take, make sure they are aware you are in as a tourist.
it could be alot easier withdrawing your passport directly from the people who deal with the application than dealing with the agents at the call centre who cant really help you.
so you should inquire first and keep the name of the person who responded the enquiry letter.

Last edited by tevel3; Aug 27th 2009 at 6:44 am.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:15 am
Just Joined

I was born before 83 and ofcourse i know i can apply in the country that i am residing in. But i wanted to go to the UK and then change my status thru the registration process. My question was if that's even possible.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tevel3
yes, you can apply during your visit in the uk.
i myself have applied while only being on a tourist visa for 6 months.
it could be a bit hectic applying while on that visa though.
good luck

btw, since they cant tell you how long its going to take, make sure they are aware you are in as a tourist.
it could be alot easier withdrawing your passport directly from the people who deal with the application than dealing with the agents at the call centre who cant really help you.
so you should inquire first and keep the name of the person who responded the enquiry letter.
thanks tevel! thats a sigh of relief. How long did the whole registration process take for u? And did u also register thru a british parent?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

tevel3 is a jewel in the roughtevel3 is a jewel in the roughtevel3 is a jewel in the roughtevel3 is a jewel in the rough

thanks tevel! thats a sigh of relief. How long did the whole registration process take for u? And did u also register thru a british parent?
i was registered through my parents.
the process wasnt long at all!
at first i inquired about my situation, which took around 2 months to get to the point i can actually apply through the application (i could have just applied, but then, they wouldnt have been aware of my statues and my situation).

i first inquired, then got replied after a month or so, than i got in contact with the person who replied my inquire, then he passed it to the supervisor and then after another 2 weeks the supervisor have sent me a blank application.
since the supervisor was the one who dealt with my application, she was able to rush my application since she was aware i am on a tourist visa and my visa was also running out.
so from the day i've applied 'till the day i got the notification about my application being granted, it took 17 days...
very efficient i must say!

Last edited by tevel3; Aug 28th 2009 at 12:03 am.