Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Recomended shipping companies from BC Canada back to UK?

Wikiposts

Recomended shipping companies from BC Canada back to UK?

Old Feb 11th 2011, 5:53 am
Just Joined

We made our bed is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Recomended shipping companies from BC Canada back to UK?

Hello to everyone.

We are starting the daunting task of getting ourselves / dogs / furniture and equipment back to UK from B.C Canada.

Can anyone recomend a shipping company?

We used Excess International movers when we came in 2007, and were quite pleased with them, but wondered who else was out there.
Especially as the move is now the other way round. We used a 20ft shipping container to come, and will probably need that size back again, if anyone else used that size could you let me know approx how much is cost.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Portsmouthcouple has a brilliant futurePortsmouthcouple has a brilliant futurePortsmouthcouple has a brilliant futurePortsmouthcouple has a brilliant futurePortsmouthcouple has a brilliant futurePortsmouthcouple has a brilliant future
Default Re: Recomended shipping companies from BC Canada back to UK?

Hope you dont mind me asking, but what has made you want to go back?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by We made our bed
Hello to everyone.

We are starting the daunting task of getting ourselves / dogs / furniture and equipment back to UK from B.C Canada.

We used Excess International movers when we came in 2007, and were quite pleased with them, but wondered who else was out there.
Especially as the move is now the other way round. We used a 20ft shipping container to come, and will probably need that size back again, if anyone else used that size could you let me know approx how much is cost.
We've used Allied Pickfords in Richmond for one of our major moves and Pickfords in Burlington Ontario for 2 other major moves. Once when we moved from Ontario to BC then the Richmond branch when we moved back to Ontario then again when we moved to Australia. We also used them here for an interstate move.

Overall we were realy happy with their service and price. Nothing broken in any of the shipments.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:55 am
Just Joined

postman62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everyone.

Hi

We returned form BC Canada October 2010 and used a company called Tippet and Richardson, who are based in Burnaby. They weren't the cheapest company, but I couldn't fault the service they provided. They told us it would take 6 to 8 weeks for the container to arrive back in the UK, but it was here in 3 weeks. I would definitely recommend them.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:57 am
Just Joined

We made our bed is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for you replies. Will start ringing round and getting quotes, although as we have a house to sell, we currently have no moving date to give them.
But a best guess $figure will help us budget.

Moving back because apart from our youngest son the rest of us have felt like fish out of water. Once the honeymoon period was over, reality set in, and we had the OMG feeling of "What the hell have we done"!!!

Went through the period of ok perhaps we are looking back at UK with rose tinted glasses, BUT at the end of the day we would rather take England warts and all then Canada.

I find I am worse off here, financially, socially, health wise, culturally ... Oh yeah we've had some rough patches.
Not everything about Canada is bad and for some people it works out great and good for them. Just didn't work for us that's all.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:55 am
Just Joined

PiersS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everyone.

Let me know how you get on and find any additional companies. I need to do the same from Vancouver to UK at the end of next month.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

ANGELA YOUNG will become famous soon enoughANGELA YOUNG will become famous soon enough

I am moving back to the UK from B.C. too. Hoping to share a container.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

albert_ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Some very good company recommendations here, but I wondered if anyone has any idea of recent price quotes for Vancouver to UK, so I know what I'm if for (HST included)? How long does it take to get there?

I think it was a 20ft container load when we arrived and we are in a 3 Bed townhouse now, but not bought very much extra other than a BBQ and patio set!
Old May 15th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by albert_ed
Hi

Some very good company recommendations here, but I wondered if anyone has any idea of recent price quotes for Vancouver to UK, so I know what I'm if for (HST included)? How long does it take to get there?

I think it was a 20ft container load when we arrived and we are in a 3 Bed townhouse now, but not bought very much extra other than a BBQ and patio set!
We also used Tippet Richardson and so far have found them to be very efficient. Our partial container is actually en route from Vancouver to the UK and is scheduled to arrive on May 21st. at Tilbury. We are shipping 313 cubic ft. which I believe is about 1/3 rd of a 40 ft shared container. We paid $4,090 which includes GST. Lynne Bardell was our agent there and has kept us notified through the entire process. The ship left Vancouver on April 14th. After arrival in Tilbury we have been told it will be between 14-21 days before delivery in Devon.
Old May 16th 2011, 4:21 am
Just Joined

albert_ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Hightide

Thanks for that excellent information. I hope it all go's smoothly with unpacking at the the other end and life in the UK works out

Cheers

Ed
Old May 16th 2011, 5:31 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANGELA YOUNG
I am moving back to the UK from B.C. too. Hoping to share a container.
(waves) Have you been held up? I thought you were going last month, hope things are well with you.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:27 am
Just Joined

doc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My goods are currently on their way back to London from Vancouver. I used Allied Pickfords as they were highly recommended by friends who used them. The packers were very efficient, the contact person keeps in touch with me regularly, and seems professional. I will only be able to fully comment on them once I receive my goods in London.