Reload this Page >

Received Child Benefit straight away

Wikiposts

Received Child Benefit straight away

Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Ayala123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Received Child Benefit straight away

Just to report - I recently returned to the UK after 7 years away (in a non-EU country. I filled out my child benefit forms and sent them off, expecting to be told I would have to wait 6 months to be eligible (which is what happened years ago when I returned from Ireland - but to my surprise they have started paying it straightaway.

I also applied for Child Tax Credit / Working Tax Credit, and they have put an unexpectedly large sum of money into my account - and whilst I haven't had an official award notice yet, from a letter they sent they appear to have backdated me to March 15th - although I did not return to the UK until June 1st. Very strange, I suppose it was a clerical mistake and I will have to call them and pay them back. Still, the loan came in handy while I was getting sorted out!

And - it is nice to be back, I appreciate the UK so much more now - although I am living in a much nicer area than before, so that helps.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Received Child Benefit straight away

Originally Posted by Ayala123
Just to report - I recently returned to the UK after 7 years away (in a non-EU country. I filled out my child benefit forms and sent them off, expecting to be told I would have to wait 6 months to be eligible (which is what happened years ago when I returned from Ireland - but to my surprise they have started paying it straightaway.

I also applied for Child Tax Credit / Working Tax Credit, and they have put an unexpectedly large sum of money into my account - and whilst I haven't had an official award notice yet, from a letter they sent they appear to have backdated me to March 15th - although I did not return to the UK until June 1st. Very strange, I suppose it was a clerical mistake and I will have to call them and pay them back. Still, the loan came in handy while I was getting sorted out!

And - it is nice to be back, I appreciate the UK so much more now - although I am living in a much nicer area than before, so that helps.
Great to hear that re child benefit, it all helps! I know what you mean about appreciating the UK more, we are home in 4 wks after being away for 10 yrs.

I cannot wait. Expect things to have changed but I do think it makes a big difference moving to a nicer area, interms of how we'll feel about the place. Good luck with everything
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:48 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Received Child Benefit straight away

Originally Posted by Ayala123
I appreciate the UK so much more now

...and should also appreciate UK taxpayers.