Reload this Page >

Rebuilding Credit in the UK

Wikiposts

Rebuilding Credit in the UK

Old Mar 10th 2012, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

MrBritUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rebuilding Credit in the UK

Unfortunately moving back to the UK means my house will foreclose here in the states. It’s been on and off the market now for 3 years with no sign of improvement to selling it anytime soon. This means my credit will go down the drain. But I have no choice in the matter as I am unemployed and am unable to keep up with the mortgage payments. My ex and I will part ways next month.

So with ruined credit in the US how does this affect my credit rating in the UK. Will I be able to start over again. Will my credit history follow me. Can I wipe the slate clean and start over.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rebuilding Credit in the UK

Originally Posted by MrBritUSA
Will my credit history follow me. Can I wipe the slate clean and start over.
I would say yes it probably would to begin with, not because I am an expert but because they did a credit check on my DH last week when he had to insure his father's car in his name (after the insurance expired on FIL's recent death) and despite nearly 35 years without making a claim, he was told he had 0 years "No Claims" because of not having had a policy in the UK for the last 17 years!

But you should be able to start building credit worthiness again, just as you would anywhere.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SadInStates
I would say yes it probably would to begin with, not because I am an expert but because they did a credit check on my DH last week when he had to insure his father's car in his name (after the insurance expired on FIL's recent death) and despite nearly 35 years without making a claim, he was told he had 0 years "No Claims" because of not having had a policy in the UK for the last 17 years!

But you should be able to start building credit worthiness again, just as you would anywhere.
He needs to do way more due dilligence. Search for car insurace threads, many of us have been away longer that and got our o/s NCB recognised. Use a broker, avoid doing it online for the first year.

I never really understood this obsession with credit rating. I was away for 21 yrs, came back and nobody ever mentioned a lack of credit rating to be a barrier for anything at all. Got my car insurance no problem, credit cards were sent within a week of arriving, renting was no problem. Mrs TB got her c/c without having a job (we never use it anyway).

The only issue I ever had was HSBC putting my Premier status on hold until I got a job here.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SadInStates

you may want to try Aviva I know that they do take into account oversea's driving history.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shelley748
you may want to try Aviva I know that they do take into account oversea's driving history.
Thanks, but unfortunately he only had a couple of days to do it in, so just went with it. We'll look into Aviva when we get back for good and hopefully we'll get a refund on the remaining months.