British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Reasons for returning to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/reasons-returning-uk-919208/)

sherbert Nov 11th 2018 7:04 pm

Reasons for returning to the UK

After 20 odd years of saying I'd never move back to the island, I am now considering it.

Aside from reasons beyond your control (such as job transfer, visa expiry etc), why are people actively choosing to move back to the UK?

Spacecake799 Nov 11th 2018 8:24 pm

Re: Reasons for returning to the UK

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 12591845)
After 20 odd years of saying I'd never move back to the island, I am now considering it.

Aside from reasons beyond your control (such as job transfer, visa expiry etc), why are people actively choosing to move back to the UK?

To be closer to family knowing we couldn't afford to come back if anything happened. Schooling and travel which we had never afforded.

durham_lad Nov 12th 2018 7:32 pm

Family, friends and location. We moved back 2.5 years ago and are still loving it.

BEVS Nov 12th 2018 8:07 pm

To be where you feel you belong. What is comfy. What feel rights.

We've been away for 15 yrs . NZ is not a good fit for me . So my eyes turn to the UK and maybe a new phase in life.

UkWinds5353 Nov 12th 2018 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12592408)
To be where you feel you belong. What is comfy. What feel rights.

We've been away for 15 yrs . NZ is not a good fit for me . So my eyes turn to the UK and maybe a new phase in life.

Bev

Are you still in NZ? If you are here's hoping you make it back home soon.

verystormy Nov 13th 2018 4:58 am

Lots, job opportunities, culture, it's where I feel I belong, even the weather - we were in Australia and I hated the heat.

brits1 Nov 13th 2018 10:09 am

It's ....just home, we care what happens here, our history/culture/ humour etc is here, then there is the so many wonderful benefits of living in this part of the world brings and after over 8 years back we still love being here....we even don't mind the weather...well most of the time anyway lol

scot47 Nov 13th 2018 4:12 pm

The chance to watch the final act of the Death of The British Empire ?

Beraider Nov 13th 2018 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12592808)
The chance to watch the final act of the Death of The British Empire ?

gotta feel sorry for those that have such a negative approach to life.

TiaMaria57 Nov 13th 2018 7:50 pm

My husband and I moved back earlier this year and we are loving every single minute. It feels like ‘proper’ home after been Stateside for 25 years.

Many reasons, including the British humour, lack of ‘in your face’ TV advertising, family and old friends, a close knit village community, pubs, the architecture, places to drive to for a day out which doesn’t take all day to get there, shopping choices, cheaper groceries, lots of choices of DIY outlets (not just Lowes and Home Depot), great pub grub at very inexpensive prices with no tipping.....just to name a few. Sterling goes a long way, particularly up north!

We also want to travel across Europe. Having visited over 40 US states whilst living there, it’s now our time to see European cities and their culture which we missed out on during our quarter century away.

We adore been back in England, so much that we actually tell each other regularly how much we feel truly at home here. We’re so glad that we made the move before we became too old to manage it. It’s not easy moving over 4,000 miles at any age and it takes a lot of self determination, hard effort, the will to do so and pulling together to achieve it. It was definitely worth it and looking back I don’t know how we achieved selling up and moving back in such a short period of time, having brought all of our most precious belongings and memories back home....but we did it!

Although we enjoyed every moment of our US experience, England is the place to be for us!

brits1 Nov 14th 2018 7:05 am

Your lagging a wee bit behind with your history.....maybe a time difference being so far North lol...The British Empire died a death after the 2nd world war, the Commonwealth (which sort of took its place) is a "free" memebership of which there is a growing number of members, anyone who does not want to stay can freely leave.... hint..hint lol

brokenhearted. Nov 14th 2018 7:38 pm

After 10 years, and now alone it is where all my family and friends are.

scot47 Nov 16th 2018 2:04 pm

brits1 If you examine the mindset of many you will find that they are still possessed by imperialist and colonialist ideas, opinions and outlook. We will be leaving soon - and I daresay the 6 Counties in NI will be going into closer union with the Southern 26.

sherbert Nov 16th 2018 6:34 pm

One of my reasons for asking was that I had noticed a bit of an exodus of people from the US heading back to the UK and I wondered why now, with all the Brexit toxicity and confusion about what's going to happen.

brits1 Nov 18th 2018 9:10 am

Hi, I think reasons for people returning are largely unique to each persons situation, at the moment there does seem to be a lot heading over from the USA, maybe it's the political situation or not, I remember when I first discovered this "site" the threads were mainly from Australia and Canada, it's different now though, who knows why, as my DWD use to say "it's the way of the world"