Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Reasons for returning to the UK

Reasons for returning to the UK

Old Feb 10th 2019, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Karen2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reasons for returning to the UK

TiaMaria - your story sounds exactly like ours! We are headed back in July. Can you share which company you used for shipping your belongings back to the UK?
Thanks, Karen
Old Feb 13th 2019, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Because we couldn't get a good price on our home, couldn't sell our other two properties and all we could afford was a small old home in a small rural town. We were never really able to wind down and sell our business. So, after a short spell, we're headed back sadly. We love it here, shame to head back. Hopefully in a year or two things will turn around we'll return.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 10:21 am
Just Joined

BritInTaiwan is an unknown quantity at this point

My reasons for moving back are my son's education, and regular contact my aging parents. Seeing old friends are a bonus too.

Everything else seems better in Asia. I'm honestly nervous about moving back home.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I needed a place to spend my declining years and IK was emboldened at the thought in 2011 that Scotland was on its way to regaining Independence. That struggle is not yet over !
Old Feb 15th 2019, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

TiaMaria57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Karen2018
TiaMaria - your story sounds exactly like ours! We are headed back in July. Can you share which company you used for shipping your belongings back to the UK?
Thanks, Karen
Karen,
We flew home with only suitcases (19), so we didn’t use a shipping company because all our baggage flew with us. It saved an awful lot of hassle with paperwork as well as knowing that all our belongings were with us when we arrived in the UK. We only brought home our treasured memories...mind you plenty of them.... because we already had a fully furnished house in the UK to return to so we didn’t need any furniture. Sorry I can’t help you further but good luck with your move. TM57
Old Feb 15th 2019, 2:27 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We'd planned for a long time to move to the UK to retire. Husband from Liverpool, had lived in Australia for 25 years, me an Aussie. We moved to Merseyside (New Brighton on the Wirral) in 2015. I loved everything about living there from the start - the lovely old house that we completely renovated, the weather (so sick of the Perth heat), the proximity to Europe for amazingly cheap holidays, the wonderful variety variety of fresh fruit and veg, the friendly 'we all stick together' people.

My husband couldn't settle, various things got him down but in particular the winters. It was concerning for me to see this usually up beat, 'nothing gets me down' bloke so obviously not enjoying life as much as he had in Oz. We talked about it a lot and I offered to return to Australia at any time with him, as I can be happy in either country. We decided though to wait at least until I'd obtained my British citizenship. The crunch came in the winter of 2017, a few months before I was due to apply for FLR. Our lovely old mate, a beautiful golden retriever who'd come with us from Australia suddenly became very ill on morning and we had to have him put to sleep within hours. That afternoon we were attacked and robbed in the street by a random bloke, an extremely rare occurrence for the area we lived in. After we'd returned home from hospital, I looked at my lovely man's face (as much of it as I could see through the bruising) and said 'let's go home'. So we did.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We'd planned for a long time to move to the UK to retire. Husband from Liverpool, had lived in Australia for 25 years, me an Aussie. We moved to Merseyside (New Brighton on the Wirral) in 2015. I loved everything about living there from the start - the lovely old house that we completely renovated, the weather (so sick of the Perth heat), the proximity to Europe for amazingly cheap holidays, the wonderful variety variety of fresh fruit and veg, the friendly 'we all stick together' people.

My husband couldn't settle, various things got him down but in particular the winters. It was concerning for me to see this usually up beat, 'nothing gets me down' bloke so obviously not enjoying life as much as he had in Oz. We talked about it a lot and I offered to return to Australia at any time with him, as I can be happy in either country. We decided though to wait at least until I'd obtained my British citizenship. The crunch came in the winter of 2017, a few months before I was due to apply for FLR. Our lovely old mate, a beautiful golden retriever who'd come with us from Australia suddenly became very ill on morning and we had to have him put to sleep within hours. That afternoon we were attacked and robbed in the street by a random bloke, an extremely rare occurrence for the area we lived in. After we'd returned home from hospital, I looked at my lovely man's face (as much of it as I could see through the bruising) and said 'let's go home'. So we did.
Can not even imagine... glad your both in a place that makes you both happy
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:32 am
Just Joined

queserasera is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, health insurance is high !!!! we were quite fortunate my ex-husband has a high executive job which provided us with a great top medical insurance, now things have changed dramatically since my divorce I found extremely difficult to get a reasonable good insurance without spending half of our maintenance is crazy bad.... hopefully we won't sick or need some kind of surgery . ......
Old Feb 20th 2019, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

I miss cold the wet the snow. Not the fluffy xmas stuff, the poor hot water on your car handle ice cold

I miss going into a strange pub and coming out a new local

Last week my dash cam overheated, had to drive 10km for shade to make it bearable to investigate
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Our belief that health care is a right, not a privilege. The cost of health care in the US can easily bankrupt you if not properly covered by private health insurance, which itself is more interested in profit and not the least in your health and well being. Private insurance is also expensive and what they cover or deny is at their discretion.

Seeing swaths of southern states like Louisiana leaving thousands of people desperate to see a doctor they can't afford has made me disgusted over the years. We prefer to live in a more humane society that is not so brutal with such an everyone-for-themselves attitude. Whatever the faults of the NHS, it is nothing compared to the system here and will be welcome to have.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Tazley is an unknown quantity at this point

Having medical insurance in the U.S seems to me to mean that you get the right to argue with your insurance company about your claim and or treatment level which usually never equates in your favour. After 15 years in the U.S and now back in the U.K I am delighted to be away from the uncertainty and vagaries of the U.S healthcare 'hall of mirrors'.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Our belief that health care is a right, not a privilege. The cost of health care in the US can easily bankrupt you if not properly covered by private health insurance, which itself is more interested in profit and not the least in your health and well being. Private insurance is also expensive and what they cover or deny is at their discretion.

Seeing swaths of southern states like Louisiana leaving thousands of people desperate to see a doctor they can't afford has made me disgusted over the years. We prefer to live in a more humane society that is not so brutal with such an everyone-for-themselves attitude. Whatever the faults of the NHS, it is nothing compared to the system here and will be welcome to have.
Hear, hear! How any nation that considers itself “developed” can justify willfully bankrupting scores of its citizens is beyond me. It’s morally reprehensible.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Beraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter

Hear, hear! How any nation that considers itself “developed” can justify willfully bankrupting scores of its citizens is beyond me. It’s morally reprehensible.
+1

Is this a mutiny I hear brewing? If so then count me in.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655

I *really* struggle with this too. I have very good insurance and have had generally had excellent healthcare (once I understood that most docs are salespeople and I am the customer, not the patient) but I cannot get over how fundamentally broken the system is in the US. It's not just healthcare, it's pretty much everything .
Old Feb 21st 2019, 7:33 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I could live in London - if I had oodles of money.
I agree. Seems to me that big cities like London work best if a person can afford to live in housing that encompass adequate space which probably includes greenery. Living in NYC without a actual backyard no matter how large or grand the dwelling, still would get old after a while. A person could feel like a caged bird trapped in a lovely cage. But if a person had space with an actual backyard then a huge city could then feel more like home. At least that is my experience living in big cities. And that cost a lot of money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.