Reasons For Returning

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:56 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reasons For Returning

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Me too - oh why did I continue reading this I promised my hubby I would stop all of my complaining (I agreed to give it another 3 years here) I am trying to think of this as 'enjoy it now while you have it' but can't... I also remembered more things I am missing too.....

Defo the NHS, my free uni education (curtsy of NHS), Cheap Travel to Europe... what I wouldn't give to be heading off to France for the weekend with my mates for 35 quid snowboarding, or going to Dublin for a quid for a girlie weekend. And I miss how you can walk your dogs anywhere and everywhere - I never once saw a sign saying no dogs allowed in UK (apart from shops) but here they wont let dogs anywhere apart from the dog beach which is tiny and covered in poop!
BTW - I always do and always have picked up my doggie dumpages, so it's not my dogs making the turds
My poor Canadian husband has listened to me complaining for 7 years.....not ALL the time but I have to say a fair old portion. He's now, finally given in and decided to give Blighty a go. I'm REALLY, REALLY trying to have happy days here while we wait but ooooohhhh it can betricky. Sometimes I wake up being a real miserable b****h and he high tales it off to work with smoke coming off his heels. Poor love. It's just very isolated so I feel so bloody lonely and then I go and make an effort and be social and I feel even more lonely because they're not my old, old buddies and we are just so DIFFERENT. Same language....but that's it.

There's so much to miss.....pub lunches, irony, sarcasm, banter, gossip, shopping, theatre, old things blah, blah, blah.....lovely old chums you can feel safe to have a few too many with!

So, we''ll be going this summer and although I'm terrified of not getting a job and having a new baby and a zillion other worries I am so, so excited. It's been a LONG (bloody epic) seven years with a smattering of lovely moments like whale watching, kayaking, skiing (all only occasionally) but lovely all the same. Done now...so done....

Bugger me, three years might be a long stretch for you. Maybe a couple of very long holidays????
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:46 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
My poor Canadian husband has listened to me complaining for 7 years.....not ALL the time but I have to say a fair old portion. He's now, finally given in and decided to give Blighty a go. I'm REALLY, REALLY trying to have happy days here while we wait but ooooohhhh it can betricky. Sometimes I wake up being a real miserable b****h and he high tales it off to work with smoke coming off his heels. Poor love. It's just very isolated so I feel so bloody lonely and then I go and make an effort and be social and I feel even more lonely because they're not my old, old buddies and we are just so DIFFERENT. Same language....but that's it.

There's so much to miss.....pub lunches, irony, sarcasm, banter, gossip, shopping, theatre, old things blah, blah, blah.....lovely old chums you can feel safe to have a few too many with!

So, we''ll be going this summer and although I'm terrified of not getting a job and having a new baby and a zillion other worries I am so, so excited. It's been a LONG (bloody epic) seven years with a smattering of lovely moments like whale watching, kayaking, skiing (all only occasionally) but lovely all the same. Done now...so done....

Bugger me, three years might be a long stretch for you. Maybe a couple of very long holidays????

What made you choose VI? I always loved a weekend in Tofino but my god i can imagine its boring all the time. Im in a gorgeous part of Ireland but i too am bored off me thrups. Life eh, *sighs*
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:38 am
Just Joined

sammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud of

Danish bacon...........thinking about building a raft to get us back over with you lot.......
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:12 pm
Wirral to Lake Macquarie

andy170773 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sister, Family in general, colours in Autumn, Clear cold crisp mornings, general sense of humour, pubs, football matches, new niece(since we arrived) and nieces and nephews.

The list could go on, but at the same we do envisage moving back sometime in the future and we know the list would probably be as long when it comes to things we miss about Australia, the only difference would probably be family.

Talk about catch 22, think the key is to be certain and 100% about the decision and look forward as both countries and the people can not be faulted in general.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy170773
Sister, Family in general, colours in Autumn, Clear cold crisp mornings, general sense of humour, pubs, football matches, new niece(since we arrived) and nieces and nephews.

The list could go on, but at the same we do envisage moving back sometime in the future and we know the list would probably be as long when it comes to things we miss about Australia, the only difference would probably be family.

Talk about catch 22, think the key is to be certain and 100% about the decision and look forward as both countries and the people can not be faulted in general.
Will you be moving back to the Wirral? My sister lived in West Kirby until recently, I really liked that place

Barb
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Will you be moving back to the Wirral? My sister lived in West Kirby until recently, I really liked that place

Barb
A couple we met in Perth moved back to Bablington (have i spelt that right?)...I'm sure it's the Wirral lol....They love it there. Going to visit them soon and go to Liverpool on the Razz.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:22 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
A couple we met in Perth moved back to Bablington (have i spelt that right?)...I'm sure it's the Wirral lol....They love it there. Going to visit them soon and go to Liverpool on the Razz.
Bebington ? I do like the Wirral too..

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:52 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
Bebington ? I do like the Wirral too..

Bebbington? 3rd time lucky

Areas of the Wirral are beautiful, Port Sunlight beautifuller still!

If it weren't for the Scousers it would be perfect!

(joke !!....???)

Do those who come from there consider themselves Scousers?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:05 pm
Wirral to Lake Macquarie

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Barb
More than likely yes, or maybe on the outskirts of Chester. I lived in Greasby for a couple of years and Eastham.

I did work at Unilever in Port Sunlight village, amazing place and history. I could live Port Sunlight village, beautiful houses.

There is some nice areas, and close to main cities and too get away the Lake District is only an hour away and North Wales is on the doorstep.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:07 pm
Wirral to Lake Macquarie

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew

Do those who come from there consider themselves Scousers?
No not really, but do get called "plastic scoucers"!!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:34 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Londonuck
What made you choose VI? I always loved a weekend in Tofino but my god i can imagine its boring all the time. Im in a gorgeous part of Ireland but i too am bored off me thrups. Life eh, *sighs*
I came to visit friends who moved here from London....long, long story but they became my in-laws. It was like an arranged marriage. I was on a round the world trip and this was stop number one. My planned 2 week stay turned out to be 7 years so it was all a big accident really. I'm very, very happy with my husband, the friend/relatives relationships went sour....very sour....the mother in law went bananas....literally bananas...and a friend confessed to being a peodophile (a real shocker and very scary) AND work for teachers is BLOODY awful, AND it's just boring AND it's a little too left and bordering on the bloody Communist in BC!!

Sorry......that was a little venting. Anyway, needless to say I'm DONE and dusted with here and dying to go home where I can trust my friends entirely with my kids, get huge love and support from my Mum and aunties, cousins and nephews.......I'm sure you know the score. I'm just tired of it all.

Were you in Vancouver?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:42 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
I want to live in a place that is mellow, where people talk to you and have the same sense of humour and the conversation you began 15 years ago continues as if there has never been a hiatus. Where there is variety when you drive from A to B, when your day begins and you have no idea what the weather will be like, where the grass is GREEEEEEEEEN and the gardens full of bright beautiful flowers that change with the seasons, where you can walk down a street and be confronted with a thousand years of human endeavour without even looking.

I long for long summer nights and cold winter days in front of a fire with a real Christmas feel at Christmas time.

I love my people - close ones and friends and I want to be there to share all those special times with them, the births, the marriages and, sadly, the deaths, to see my cousins and friends and their kids moving, growing and changing with the times.

I appreciate the variety in the shops as well - takes me a good two weeks to get over that gobsmacked awe of the variety there too.

Basically, I want to live where I belong and not where I am an alien with alien views, alien noises and alien attitudes to batter my life every single day.

Easy peasy really!
That really was a great heartfelt post why are you not living your dream?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy170773
No not really, but do get called "plastic scoucers"!!
Yes you can only be a real scouser if you were born in real Liverpool

Barb (a real Scouser)
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 12:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
What are the things that you prefer about the UK?
Decent welfare/healthcare system.

The health system in Canada is comparable to the UK....until it comes to prescriptions.

The newspaper will carry an item about a cancer drug or something similar not being provided and there is hardly any outrage.

Welfare benefits are low. Not even enough to cover rent let alone food and heating.

Mention anything about making improvements and all you get are comments about taxation.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most have been mentioned already but here goes. The changing seasons, the sense of humour, the football. A good local, historical buildings and availability to travel to other interesting Countries nearby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.