Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Reasons for moving back: A young single persons perspective

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Thanks for the comment about food. I was trying to make that point the other day and people didn't believe me, people living in Canada that is!
Well for Canadians they are converting from the CDN$ so it when you do the math it looks likes you would be paying more in the UK, but their thinking in Canadian terms on a Canadian salary….
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by celine_uk
Its not that I think Canada or OZ are talked up I thinks that the UK is talked down, The main problem I believe is with the UK media really, people seem to have the misconception that everything outside of the UK is cheaper/better because of what the daily mail/Sun says, well ok yes some things are cheaper here in Canada but you will be paid a lot less compared to what you would be getting for simplar job in UK, so it all evens out, food for example here is 50% more than the UK with less variety.
This is true, people really do think that everything is cheaper and we know that it isn't so.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:52 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
.....FOREVER comparing everything to US and even to UK a lot really ticks me off. Whatever culture they do have is rammed down your throat over and over again because its 'Canadian' and that its unique (but most of the time really its just a diluted version of something they've already done in the US or somewhere else).....
Ah, the old Canadian insecurity complex. It DOES get old hearing the comparisons to the US, which are usually that Canada is better, or if not, that the US is in some way cheating or using force or worshipping devils in order to be better and that Canadians don't really want to be better in that category anyway.

And then there's the CanCon rules about things like radio content.

I think one of the reasons Canada is not hyped as an immigration destination is that it's cold and dark in the winter, much like the UK. As someone who lived briefly in Canada I can say that one major factor in not living there permanently was the weather.

In some ways the constant bitching and comparisons in Canada about the US are much like the arguments that go on in Australia about the UK. The difference is that it is much harder to differentiate between an American and a Canadian: the accent differences are far more subtle, so an American in Canada isn't as readily identifiable as such, as a Brit would be in Australia. So personal insults wouldn't happen as often. Some Canadians view well-paid Americans working in Canada as leeches, but as an entry-level worker, I wasn't resented; more like "why the hell do you want to live *here*, it sucks!"

As a young person I think that Canada could definitely be boring simply due to less choice in terms of career and culture. As an older person, though, the lower rates of crime, better behaved youth, and universal health care would be very attractive vs the UK and the US.

I do wish people didn't feel they needed to apologise for returning home, nor do they need to 'rationalise' it by coming up with a list of negatives about their host country. Comparisons between countries are apples and oranges and what's more, everyone changes during their lifetimes so that what was a good fit at one point is no longer a good fit.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:04 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by arkon
Like this place isn't crime ridden. Ok not on the scale of SA but here where I am it ain't too good. Last week the wife had her swimming costume $80 knicked from the gym while she was in the shower. The day before some friends has ALL their clothes knicked off the line. Same day 2 burglaries down the road and the police got a description (An male aboriginal on a red bike!)
That was just last week in my small area with a tiny population. Oh and that doesn't count the fire that has been raging for over a week at Harrington, police suspect arson. (It's still burning now and quite a few koalas have been killed)
Perhaps your biggest problem is that you live in a crap part of OZ, you should try somewhere else. Most of the crime and burglaries in your area are probably down to a certain minority group.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 9th 2007 at 7:24 am.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:22 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Hello Mogwai

I just want to wish you good luck. I was in a very similar position - single, good job etc in Sydney and your post really struck a chord, as for me the main reason (as well as some niggling things) for returning was as you put it, the overwhelming sense of isolation, and I have travelled a lot on my own to far flung places etc, so was not at all prepared to feel like that.
I'm back in the UK, but am planning to return to Oz soon to give it a second go, but I still haven't quite worked out what to do, as regards that feeling of isolation. Good luck to you

SuzieB
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Ah, the old Canadian insecurity complex. It DOES get old hearing the comparisons to the US, which are usually that Canada is better, or if not, that the US is in some way cheating or using force or worshipping devils in order to be better and that Canadians don't really want to be better in that category anyway.

And then there's the CanCon rules about things like radio content.

I think one of the reasons Canada is not hyped as an immigration destination is that it's cold and dark in the winter, much like the UK. As someone who lived briefly in Canada I can say that one major factor in not living there permanently was the weather.

In some ways the constant bitching and comparisons in Canada about the US are much like the arguments that go on in Australia about the UK. The difference is that it is much harder to differentiate between an American and a Canadian: the accent differences are far more subtle, so an American in Canada isn't as readily identifiable as such, as a Brit would be in Australia. So personal insults wouldn't happen as often. Some Canadians view well-paid Americans working in Canada as leeches, but as an entry-level worker, I wasn't resented; more like "why the hell do you want to live *here*, it sucks!"

As a young person I think that Canada could definitely be boring simply due to less choice in terms of career and culture. As an older person, though, the lower rates of crime, better behaved youth, and universal health care would be very attractive vs the UK and the US.

I do wish people didn't feel they needed to apologise for returning home, nor do they need to 'rationalise' it by coming up with a list of negatives about their host country. Comparisons between countries are apples and oranges and what's more, everyone changes during their lifetimes so that what was a good fit at one point is no longer a good fit.
Great way of putting it Snowbunny! I agree to when I first moved here, Canada provided me everything I needed at the time but now it seems to doing the opposite, your right everyone changes and what was a good fit isnt so much now
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meljor
Too flippin' true and I am sick of it physically sick.
ditto ditto
Old Feb 17th 2007, 11:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hippy-Dippy
Australia is the last paradise, Sydney is pure paradise-those of us that can't see-they are the ones I feel sorry for.
Don't feel sorry for them, they're perfectly happy to be back in the UK
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:19 pm
Banned

Dracula will become famous soon enoughDracula will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by arkon
Like this place isn't crime ridden. Ok not on the scale of SA but here where I am it ain't too good. Last week the wife had her swimming costume $80 knicked from the gym while she was in the shower. The day before some friends has ALL their clothes knicked off the line. Same day 2 burglaries down the road and the police got a description (An male aboriginal on a red bike!)
That was just last week in my small area with a tiny population. Oh and that doesn't count the fire that has been raging for over a week at Harrington, police suspect arson. (It's still burning now and quite a few koalas have been killed)

I am wholeheartedly sick of people who have NEVER set foot in South Africa telling me (who used to live there) what a crime infested dump it is and that everybody lives there lives in 'prisons'.

I am also wholeheartedly sick of the ex saffers who cannot seem to stop themselves twisting the knife at any point imaginable, for example, if somebody says they are going to Cape town for a holiday, the eyes roll, the horror stories come out and before you know it, the tourist is scared witless...

As somebody once said, South Africa is not for wimps but it is a beautiful part of the world.

The point I REALLY want to make is that : I live in Fortitude Valley and trust me there is plenty of crime here to keep me busy!! A suspected murder last weekend, people bashed on regular basis, a massive police prescense (on horses etc). Does that suggest a crime free paradise to you?

Anyway rant over....but it really makes me MAD!

Last edited by Dracula; Feb 20th 2007 at 10:21 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:03 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dracula
I am wholeheartedly sick of people who have NEVER set foot in South Africa telling me (who used to live there) what a crime infested dump it is and that everybody lives there lives in 'prisons'.

I am also wholeheartedly sick of the ex saffers who cannot seem to stop themselves twisting the knife at any point imaginable, for example, if somebody says they are going to Cape town for a holiday, the eyes roll, the horror stories come out and before you know it, the tourist is scared witless...

As somebody once said, South Africa is not for wimps but it is a beautiful part of the world.

The point I REALLY want to make is that : I live in Fortitude Valley and trust me there is plenty of crime here to keep me busy!! A suspected murder last weekend, people bashed on regular basis, a massive police prescense (on horses etc). Does that suggest a crime free paradise to you?

Errr, not sure if this was aimed at me, but just incase, for your information I have worked in SA, and had a few of my drivers killed there, and another stabbed. In fact it was so bad my company pulled out of oing business in SA, there were just too many other better countries to do business in and safer too. So From my time there and my business dealings there I can whole heartedly stand by my comment that the crime rate is worse there than here in Oz.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:15 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Don't feel sorry for them, they're perfectly happy to be back in the UK
Would you like a bit of my wall to bang your head against?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:05 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dracula
As somebody once said, South Africa is not for wimps but it is a beautiful part of the world. True, the parts we saw anyway.

The point I REALLY want to make is that : I live in Fortitude Valley and trust me there is plenty of crime here to keep me busy!! A suspected murder last weekend, people bashed on regular basis, a massive police prescense (on horses etc). Does that suggest a crime free paradise to you? No it doesn't and I don't think anyone has suggested that it is, except maybe afew Godzoners.

Where is Fortitude Valley and are you in the police force?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

marktyler74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fortitude Valley is in Brisbane. Brisbane CBD has a bit of a problem with drunk people knocking the living daylights out of each other.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:30 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

My only experience of Australia is meeting Ozzies when they are travelling. Some Ozzie women are very nice, but the majority of the guys I find to be loud, uncultured, misogynistic and racist and that's from the perspective of a lad who grew up Middlesbrough
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:01 pm
Banned

iused2liveinflorida is an unknown quantity at this point

i used to live in florida for 15 years and i recently moved back to england. this was a major mistake. england had changed a lot since the last time i visited, and mainly for the worst. its involvement in the EU seems to have flooded it with immigrants. i hope to move back to florida.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.