Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Reason(s) for returning to UK

Reason(s) for returning to UK

Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reason(s) for returning to UK

wow - reading all the posts from people who have lived away from the UK for 10, even 20 plus years - on the other side of the planet - makes my 6 years in Portugal seem puny by comparison. Its also interesting that despite the length of time being away, people have retained a kinship for the UK - and still describe it as "home."

Yes, the four distinct seasons - with snow in winter, daffs & bluebells in spring, leafy oak trees in summer and vibrant colours in autumn - coupled with year-round green grass does create that looking through rose-tinted glasses feel. But its not far off the mark. On top of all that, if you still have family - and friends from yesteryear, there is a strong pull back to the old country. I grew up in the urban industrial sprawl of Birmingham - but I spent a fantastic 13 years in Cambridge. And those were everything to like about the UK - buildings over a thousand years old, towns with names that date back to Celtic times, village greens where you can still enjoy triangle-cut sandwiches on a Sunday afternoon etc.

I think I may have just convinced myself to move back!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:43 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ah207
wow - reading all the posts from people who have lived away from the UK for 10, even 20 plus years - on the other side of the planet - makes my 6 years in Portugal seem puny by comparison. Its also interesting that despite the length of time being away, people have retained a kinship for the UK - and still describe it as "home."

I think I may have just convinced myself to move back!
good news & trust that it all pans out for you
Old Oct 10th 2013, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

bkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud of

Have lived in Thailand for the last 12 years, but returning to the UK so that the kids are EU-resident for the 3 years required to get student loans.

Been working from home most of the time. Not looking forward to having to do a daily commute again.