Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is it really that difficult a question

Wikiposts

Is it really that difficult a question

Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:37 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it really that difficult a question

yes i hate my job - who doesnt blah blah

but anyway, when I ask you if you need a bag - there really are only 2 answers - YES or KNOW

if I hear "I don't know" one more time I will scream - is it that difficult to think about - do you want to carry your crap in a bag or not!!!

Or then of course there are the people who look at you as if you are crazy and its their god given right to have a bag "well, YEAH!" - becuase of course you bought a tiny little napkin and you cant fit it in that gigantic purse you are lugging around

or maybe "whatever you think, i dont mind" - I am asking you if you want one, you really dont need to know what I think!!

URGH!!!! Thank god I have 2 weeks off now!!!!!!!!!!

rant over lol - i need to get out of retail!!!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:39 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really that difficult a question

My time working at a grocery store made me really, really hate people.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:42 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My time working at a grocery store made me really, really hate people.
I try and be nice to everyone - and most people are pleseant enough. But people that wont get off their phone and even acknowledge you piss me off and I may "accidently" ring you up for something twice as your not paying attention anyway....
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:43 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I try and be nice to everyone - and most people are pleseant enough. But people that wont get off their phone and even acknowledge you piss me off and I may "accidently" ring you up for something twice as your not paying attention anyway....
I think I would "accidentally" punch them in the face.

When I was working at the grocery store, nobody had cellphones.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:49 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I was behind someone in line at Starbucks recently who was on their phone. The guy serving said 'excuse me sir, it is company policy to tell you that I am as important as your phone call, either place your order or leave the line, thank you'. The customer looked extremely embarassed and hung up his call.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I was trying to check out quickly from TJ Max the other day and had one woman in front of me with a duvet cover. She walks up, puts it on the counter and says:

"I'd like to buy this, but could you tell me the price? And the size?"

Err, if you don't know the size or price I would hazard a guess you are not ready to check out with a duvet cover... get out of my bloody way!!!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I was trying to check out quickly from TJ Max the other day and had one woman in front of me with a duvet cover. She walks up, puts it on the counter and says:

"I'd like to buy this, but could you tell me the price? And the size?"

Err, if you don't know the size or price I would hazard a guess you are not ready to check out with a duvet cover... get out of my bloody way!!!
Why? The assistant can usually scan the label for the price...the size might be shown too.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I can relate Melly. I worked as a cashier for about 3-4 years while in school. I couldn't stand the little shits, errr kids, who would throw a tantrum because they wanted a candy bar or bubble gum. Wish we could have had tasers back then...
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another forum you might like: link
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:21 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

yes i hate my job - who doesnt blah blah

but anyway, when I ask you if you need a bag - there really are only 2 answers - YES or KNOW

if I hear "I don't know" one more time I will scream - is it that difficult to think about - do you want to carry your crap in a bag or not!!!

Or then of course there are the people who look at you as if you are crazy and its their god given right to have a bag "well, YEAH!" - becuase of course you bought a tiny little napkin and you cant fit it in that gigantic purse you are lugging around

or maybe "whatever you think, i dont mind" - I am asking you if you want one, you really dont need to know what I think!!

URGH!!!! Thank god I have 2 weeks off now!!!!!!!!!!

With regard to people bagging for me, I am still so not used to that, even after four years of living here. I feel completely lazy just standing there having someone do it for me - makes me really uncomfortable!

I used to work at a Deli counter in the UK at Tesco - we used to have to cut up cheese from big blocks and people would ask for a certain weight. Some customers were so picky that you'd cut from this gigantic block and be a tadge over what they had asked for and they would refuse it and ask you to cut again. I really do mean a tadge over so we used to keep a grater on site and literally grate of the thinest slice, that would make the difference and then they'd take it!!

Another thing I can't stand here (whilst we're on the ranting!!!), is the vocabulary used when people order here "Can I get" - to my UK ear it sounds so rude! I live with it as I understand it's not rudeness on the part of the person (generally!) but it does make my blood boil when I'm in line!!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:21 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Here's another forum you might like: link
OMG there really are websites for everything these days.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:29 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

But people that wont get off their phone and even acknowledge you piss me off and I may "accidently" ring you up for something twice as your not paying attention anyway....
Passport queue at T2 Heathrow quite long and a guy talking loudly on his mobile. Finally gets to the desk and hands his passport over still having this important business conversation. Immigration officer just holds the passport looking at him waiting for him to put the phone down. Guy gestures impatiently for the I/O to examine his passport and hand it back. Then the guys phone started ringing, the look on his face as the whole line erupted into howls of laughter.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why? The assistant can usually scan the label for the price...the size might be shown too.
No label. The checkout girl then proceeded to open the packet and lay the cover out to eye ball size while someone else was called to go find a similar cover which could then be scanned in order to establish a price.

As will probably come as no surprise, I went to another line!

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't consider a purchase or think I'm ready to check out if I didn't, for example, know the size and price of a shirt I was considering!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No label. The checkout girl then proceeded to open the packet and lay the cover out to eye ball size while someone else was called to go find a similar cover which could then be scanned in order to establish a price.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't consider a purchase or think I'm ready to check out if I didn't, for example, know the size and price of a shirt I was considering!
I know it's annoying to be behind someone like that. More often then not if it's not priced I can't be bothered to find out but sometimes something will catch my eye and I want to know how much it costs.

Usually the store can scan the little cloth label that's sewn into a seam to find the price. The description probably would have said Kg.Size duvet cover or similar.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:08 am
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I work for homegoods which is the sister company of TJ Maxx - no label means they have NO way of knowing what it is. There is no computer inventory, they have no idea whats in stock and whats not - the only way to get the price is to scan the TJ Maxx/Homegoods sticker. IF theres not one they just go look for something similar - save the time and take something cheap up yourself - chances are you will get it for cheaper than it should be!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.